Wildfire Interactive Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 23, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • There are some growing pains, but that comes with the territory when you grow from 40 employees to 300 (in 9 reviews)

"A great company ruined by a few very bad hires and a lack of structure and processes"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood Shores, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood Shores, CA

I have been working at Wildfire Interactive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good office location
    Exciting products
    Talented people

Cons

Almost complete lack of structure, which is fine until it's not. As long as there aren't any problems, things will go well, but as soon as somebody gets upset for any reason, there are no processes in place to help employees. HR is non-existent. Until recently (and even now), benefits are hugely sub-par. Some key position have now been very poorly staffed, and once that door is opened, those bad hires will bring in more bad hires. HR and Engineering are the main examples of highly inexperienced leadership.

Advice to Management

Most of the mid level leadership needs to be replaced with people that have experience. This isn't a small startup anymore where it's ok to have someone with no experience manage 15+ employees.

2. "Great company, some growing pains, awesome perks and culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Pros

- culture
    - lateral mobility within workplace
    - the office is awesome
    - cal train passes, gym membership, snacks
    - good people, smart coworkers, plenty of opportunities to learn how a company is actually grown and how customer relationships are managed
    - the CEO practices what she preaches, as does all upper management for the most part

Cons

- if you're going to get us snacks... get us healthy ones
    - sales is known to be a bit cliqueish, but nothing you can't look around

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you're doing. Remain candid, transparent, trusting and inspiring. Don't be afraid to tell us what we are going to do. Wildfire is a very collaborative place where people don't step on one another's toes, but at this junction I think we need clear, unambiguous marching orders sometimes.

"Great company but a ton of room for improvement"

Current Employee - Client Services in Redwood City, CA

Pros

-Nice open work environment - very sunny.
    -Some genuinely great people work here.
    -Very cool and exciting space to be in right now.
    -Senior management like Victoria and Doug really know their stuff and are inspiring to work with.
    -I like the work I do on a daily basis helping clients.

Cons

-Pressured to work long hours.
    -While Senior Management is pretty solid, the next tier down is pretty weak. The head of CS is pretty inexperienced when it comes to management and leadership and it certainly shows.
    -There are more and more closed door meetings where top execs meet and discuss changes. Feels less horizontal and transparent.
    -Our perks have gotten better during my time at Wildfire, but relative to other Silicon Valley companies, we could still be doing better. Very few vacation days, no subsidized meals, and the daily commute is a huge struggle.

Advice to Management

-Put more resources into management training.
    -Ask employees what they think about their managers and leaders.
    -Even if we can't pay for some meals, we should diversity snacks - more healthy snack options would be great.
    -Re-do the vacation day policy.
    -Consider some sort of shuttle from the city.

"The culture is gone"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Pros

I really do to my core love this company... i think we have a lot of potential. That being said I feel like the only way management listens is through an embarrassing public forum like this.

There are amazing people that work here and we need to get back to our roots to keep them.

Despite the recent setbacks, I do think that this is a great place to work. We just need to work out these kinks and bring Wildfire back to what it once was.

Cons

-Taking all of our best sales people out of sales and putting them in manager positions (just because you are a good sales person does not mean you are a good manager)
    -Fear of giving negative feedback due to recent fires when doing so.
    -Old boys club--- the people that were here in the very beginning (with about 15 employees) run the show, despite a lot of them being disliked by a majority of the 300 plus new employees. I have even been told that if I want to make it in this company that I need to "start being friends with the older employees and stop bonding so much with the new ones"
    -we were told at a meeting that if you are the kind of person who takes an hour lunch break and thinks of this just as a job than this is not the place for you..... Reality Check-- management is invested and thinks of this more than a job because you get paid as such, respected as such, your opinions matter and you have a ridiculous amount of stock. All the rest of us work more hours than most companies, get paid less and have no upward mobility unless we were one of the first employees... so why would we think of this as more than a job when we don't get the respect that other people do?
    - All of the teams get in at around 8am.... except for product... which is the biggest reason for customer dissatisfaction. It is not OK that everyone else is working really hard and the engineers stroll in at 11am.
    -The commute is unbearable. I know this is not a fault of management but other companies have taken this into consideration and given alternatives. It is an hour commute in the morning, sometimes a 2 hour commute home and we pay about 100 dollars a week on gas (when our salaries make it barely affordable as is to pay our rent). When we caltrain it is a longer process (we must bus from our homes to a caltrain station, take the train, then wait for a shuttle to get to work).

Advice to Management

-hire outside of the company for managers so you don't have favoritism and biased reviews and hires.
    Stop cutting pay--- despite what you think it is bringing morale down and making people less concerned with working as hard as they did before.
    -If you do hire a manager in the company consult their team before choosing. Sometimes a director or lead is completely unaware of the sentiment that an entire team feels towards a person. You may think an employee is great... but the people they manage may have a completely different perspective. Please take our opinions into consideration.
    -Please think of a direct shuttle/bus option from the city to Redwood City

5. "It's a great place to be!"

Current Employee - Client Services in Redwood City, CA

Pros

Wildfire is filled with incredibly intelligent people who are passionate about the company and what they do. I look forward to coming in to the office each day.

Cons

Sometimes there seems to be unnecessarily large communication gaps between departments and teams

Advice to Management

keep on listening :)

"The Best Place I have Ever Worked Period."

Current Employee - Account Executive in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Redwood City, CA

Pros

The work environment is very helpful, relaxed, and full of energy. Anyone and everyone is willing to help at anytime no matter what department you are in. It is very well balanced giving you opportunity to hang out and get away from your computer whenever you need a break. You want to come to work everyday because of the comradery shared between everyone who works here. I feel like I can walk up to anyone from a new hire to the CEO and ask for assistance or just chat. On top of that we not only work hard, but play hard. We have awesome team building events that involve costumes, refreshments, and many Wildfire memories. I love working here.

Cons

Wildfire is growing from becoming a lean start-up to a medium/large sized corporation. Now that we are getting bigger there are needs to be more scalable management in place and the work environment has to cater to several hundred people rather then a smaller group. However, Wildfire is adjusting accordingly and always gives us an opportunity to share when we walk to suggest an improvement.

Advice to Management

I would recommend that management keeps the same hard working and humble attitude we have always had. As we get bigger don't forget where we came from.

7. "the LEADER of an incredible space, with passionate, bright, and humble employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Pros

- Work with humble, creative, and passionate people
    - Gorgeous office with huge windows and a view of the bay
    - Victoria's leadership inspires all of us. She is brilliant yet incredibly humble and considerate
    - Everyone is SO excited to come into work everyday. We are all team players and are proud to work at Wildfire
    - Huge momentum; we're in an incredible space and are growing like crazy.
    - On any given day, there are several puppies running around the office
    - Youthful and witty employees
    - Wildfire is HANDS DOWN the best social media marketing technology in the WORLD.

Cons

- space: we work in one big room, so distractions come easily.
    - commuting from San Francisco to Redwood City is exhausting

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. You are inspiring all of us. We trust you, and feel that we are in good hands.

8. "Best place I have ever worked"

Current Employee - Team Lead/Senior Social Media Account Manager in Redwood City, CA

Pros

The people you are surrounded with on a daily basis are the more intelligent, drive, excited and happy people that I have had the pleasure to work with. They push you daily to be the best you can be and deliver the best product and service for the clients.

Cons

It's a bit messy around the common areas and kitchen as many of the employees are young and don't understand the importance of cleaning up after yourself.

9. "Great startup with lots of energy and a tremendous learning environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Pros

- Employees (and especially senior management) are some of the brightest, humblest, and hungriest people I've ever met. That's a rare combination to find and it's awesome when your senior leadership team exudes all 3 qualities.
    - All the process of a larger corporation (in the good sense that things don't get out of control), but the bureaucracy of a startup.
    - Senior management/HR follows through on their promises. We were told we'd have a 401k plan, new benefits and other things within a certain quarter and they were all delivered.

Cons

- Sometimes feels like a frathouse (loud, beer leftover in common areas, beer pong tables). The Sales side of the office tends to skew younger in age, so this is understandable.
    - Not too clear on communicating one's career advancement. Not sure if there are regular reviews for employees.
    - Working on the weekends/working late in the office isn't mandatory, but those that do it are perceived to be the "harder workers."
    - The company is geographically, in the middle of nowhere. Going out to lunch is nonexistent and your nearby eating options consist of the cafeteria which is like a college dorm mess hall. The good news is that it forces you to bring your own food, thereby saving money.

10. "Amazing opportunities, great people, and a lot of fun!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Pros

- Great people: both in terms of demeanor and in talent
    - Challenging work: in a good way!
    - Lots of fun: dodging nerf guns, hanging in the hammock, or playing ping pong is only the tip of the iceberg!

Cons

- Work/Life balance? - it's hard to say this is a "con" as many people enjoy being there and hang out, but this environment would be difficult for those looking to leave after 8 hours every day.