Wildflower Bread Company Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Wildflower Bread Company President Louis Basile
Louis Basile

1. "Good people, needs some improvement elsewhere"

Current Employee - Breadhead in Deer Valley, AZ
    Current Employee - Breadhead in Deer Valley, AZ

I have been working at Wildflower Bread Company part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of the employees are kind, and easy to work with. Managers are pretty knowledgeable with the menu and inner workings for the most part. Food is very good and almost all employees I know back the quality of the product. The upper management is not afraid to come out onto the floor to help customers, do grunt work, and support the employees.

Cons

Scheduling is a massive issue. There is no employee overlap and you almost never get out on time because you either have to wait for the next employee to come in or you have side work you need to do in addition to your duties, which always makes you late getting out. You never get lunch breaks if you are scheduled during lunch hours (10am to 2pm is blackout) and sometimes if the store is shorthanded, you might work a full shift with NO BREAKS AT ALL. Employees are not sent home even when they are in the back vomiting or have a high fever or sick as a dog.

Advice to Management

There needs to be some sort of adjustment to scheduling to allow for overlap. Get some employees to assist in covering lunch. There needs to be more than 1 buser and 1 runner during weekday lunches. I say at least 2 busers. Managers tend to do more food running anyways, but busing in my opinion is the toughest job for front employees because they are doing everything from lifting, cleaning, serving, running, caring for customers, running register if the line is out the door, and restocking the bars. Its too much work for one person and then to be expected to do the side work before leaving a seriously busy lunch shift is impossible. Also, compensation should be better for this line of work. The Chik-Fil-A next door to my store is a fast food restaurant that pays above minimum wage (start at $11) and they aren't a serving restaurant like Wildflower. The amount of pay we receive does not match the amount of physical work we do.

Mar 27, 2017 – HR Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience as a Breadhead. While scheduling can sometimes get tight, Breadheads should always have a break to rest and enjoy our delicious food. We ... More

2. "Cook"

Former Employee - Cook in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Cook in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Wildflower Bread Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Keeps true to their roots.

Cons

Ima be honest with you, the first weeks you work at wildflower are really good then once you get situated and know everything you need to learn you don't get rewarded for those acts. I was a former cook at wild flower store #17 & #16 which is the phoenix sky harbor location and I can sincerely tell you it was not good the management team their is not good. You try and talk to them about a problem and it goes in one ear and exits out the other. Like I mentioned before you can work your butt off and at the end of the day when you ask for raise they just push it to the side and act like it doesn't matter. I was a good worker very dedicated too giving the customers the wildflower promise but I wasn't treated or rewarded for my countless days I had to clean up after the morning shift because they just wanted too leave once they saw me walk in the front doors.

Advice to Management

Listen to your breaheads and reward them before you lose all your hard workers.

Apr 24, 2017 – HR Manager

Feeling like you aren't rewarded for your hard work is lousy. It is also counter to our Purpose and Values. I'm heartened that you had a initially positive experience at Wildflower, however I would ... More

3. "Great food"

Former Employee - Dishwasher in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Dishwasher in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Wildflower Bread Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to tease some of the food.

Cons

Once you're hooked on the food then you're stuck.

Advice to Management

Hire and promote within the company.

Apr 1, 2017 – Customer Service

Thank you for the feedback! I am really sorry that your work experience at Wildflower was not amazing. We would like to find out more about what happened and why you feel the way you do. Please ... More

4. "Breadhead"

Former Employee - Breadhead in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Breadhead in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Wildflower Bread Company part-time

Pros

Good environment, good managers, very good food, he company is flexible with schedules if you are studying, you can get discounts on the food, way better than working for any of the national food chains.

Cons

Sometimes assistant managers can be mean and have their favorite employees, so thanks to that the workload tends to be really unfair. They have some very very rude, snob clients but that's the nature of the job.

Advice to Management

You have done very good job hiring good managers, just be careful with assistant managers, they can hurt the company.

Dec 19, 2016 – HR Manager

Thanks for being a Breadhead! Glad you enjoyed your time with us, and found our General Managers to be good coaches. HR is all ears for feedback, so if you have specifics you'd like to share on your ... More

5. "Amazing company"

Current Employee - Shift Leader in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Shift Leader in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Wildflower Bread Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company really is a family and take care of each like so. The founders, managers and the team has helped me in the past years tremendously and I will forever be grateful to have them. The company really praises their employees and customers.

Cons

I feel like my pay does not reflect my worth and makes me feel under appreciated.

Oct 28, 2016 – HR Manager

We're pleased you feel like family, because you are family at Wildflower! We'll review our compensation. Feeling underappreciated won't enable you to deliver the "BEST EXPERIENCE-PERIOD!" and we want ... More

6. "Flagstaff store"

Former Employee - Holistic Health and Food and Beverage in Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Employee - Holistic Health and Food and Beverage in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at Wildflower Bread Company full-time

Pros

The food that's it nothing else.

Cons

Need to hire more people, need to help each other when there is not enough help which is never. Need to be more professional. If things and I mean things don't change these places will close. I have managed places your first mistake is you need the right amount of employees to get the job done so people don't leave because your expectations are way too high.

Advice to Management

Take classes.

Sep 26, 2016 – HR Manager

We hear you. We value feedback to improve, and have alerted our Flagstaff GM to review our staffing and hiring plan. Thank you for being a Breadhead.

7. "Be On The GM's Good Side"

Former Employee - Breadhead in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at Wildflower Bread Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good clientele
    Friendly staff
    Good(ish) food

Cons

Immature management
    Way too busy
    The company bends over backwards for guests even when it shouldn't

Advice to Management

Act your age

May 27, 2016 – Founder/President

First, please let me sincerely apologize for my delayed response. Thank you for giving us feedback about your experience working with us. We are glad you enjoyed working with our guests and our ... More

"Dedication to Purpose"

Current Employee - Line Cook in Flagstaff, AZ
    Current Employee - Line Cook in Flagstaff, AZ

I have been working at Wildflower Bread Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wildflower Bread Company established a commitment to provide its patrons with a higher quality dining experience. The breadheads at our location come together everyday as a team and family to deliver upon this promise. "We change lives, create traditions, build community and feed the soul with passion. Every time, every day", as our purpose states. Our breadheads work incredibly hard and communicate openly, honestly, and respectfully towards one another, forming a very cohesive group that continually delivers excellent service to the community we serve in Flagstaff. The support and leadership of our small management team is a major contributor to our success. Our GM demands a lot from his breadheads and enforces the standards upon which we succeed by continually coaching and guiding us throughout our journey with the company. He exemplifies our purpose and provides every breadhead with the tools, knowledge, and support they need to succeed everyday, demanding the same from his management team. Our establishment's reputation for excellent food, friendly service, and a clean welcoming environment for our patrons should speak volumes for the work environment at Wildflower Bread Company.

Cons

If the purpose doesn't resonate with an individual, they will have a difficult time succeeding. The sheer volume of guests entering through our doors demands that breadheads have a strong work ethic with a desire to succeed. If an individual lacks the motivation to put their best effort forward each day they will fail. We all work extremely hard to accomplish what we do, and the required level of commitment to pull it off is not for everyone. Flexibility is also needed to adjust for unforeseen circumstances that may disrupt the normal flow of operations. Organized chaos is very difficult for some people to navigate through. If our purpose isn't at the center of focus, it is difficult to stay on course.

Advice to Management

Our own management staff has proven their ability to lead by example, and although there are difficult times that can test our resolve, they have established a fun and inviting workplace where a person can thrive as an employee and feel valued as a member of a team. Corporate management conducts occasional visits, and while the visits are mostly constructive, some breadheads have been subject to forms of criticism that did not align with our values of using 'safe space' communication techniques. It is imperative that the leaders in the company reassure their employees that they are valuable 'assets' and not 'commodities' that are expendable. We rely on them for support too, and upholding the same standards of respectful, honest, and open communication that our own managers practice will reinforce our purpose even further. Our team is resilient, however, and we continually improve with the support and cooperation of our fellow breadheads and Wildflower family.

Mar 22, 2016 – Founder/President

First I want to apologize for my tardy reply. Thanks so much for telling us about your experience as a Breadhead! We are so glad to hear that you feel a connection with our Purpose and that your ... More

9. "Good, Hard, Honest Work"

Current Employee - Breadhead in Flagstaff, AZ
    Current Employee - Breadhead in Flagstaff, AZ

I have been working at Wildflower Bread Company part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The food is excellent (the standing menu items, some of the seasonal choices are questionable). It is so easy to sell food that you can really get behind, because you've tried it and loved it yourself. The expectations are usually clear. At our location, the management is personable and all of the breadheads treat each other respectfully and honestly.

Cons

Sometimes expectations are not clear, or change rather quickly. There is a fear of mistakes. Sometimes communication from management is open and honest, but not completely respectful (though I usually just contribute this to personality). You will never be released on time. You will not get to eat, or get breaks.

Advice to Management

Hire and schedule more people. Think about your words carefully before you say them, and be more aware that many of your employees are students, whom are all under a ridiculous amount of pressure/stress as it is. Explain the situation fully before introducing new expectations.

Mar 15, 2016 – Founder/President

Thanks so much for telling us about your experience as a Breadhead! We really appreciate when we get feedback it helps make us a better place to work. We are excited to hear that you love the food ... More

10. "Great Company, Bad Location"

Former Employee - Breadhead in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at Wildflower Bread Company (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is wonderful and has a great mission. Our food is delicious and it's something that I took pride in as an employee and would talk so highly of it constantly.

Cons

Management at one of the stores I worked for was weak, and had very negative energy. Between picking favorites, acting very immature, degrading employees and mishandling situations, the store made me miserable.

Advice to Management

Pull together and properly train your management so that employees don't become disgruntled and unhappy. Employee happiness is fundamental to a business, I believe, and this location put that below everything.

Feb 2, 2016 – Founder/President

Thank you so much for posting your review and for being a part of our Breadhead family, we are sad to hear that you are no longer a part of it. We would love to hear more about the cons that you ... More