Wildlife Conservation Society Reviews in Bronx, NY | Glassdoor

Bronx, NY

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Cristián Samper

Pros
  • I worked at the WCS Bronx Zoo for a short time, but loved it immensely (in 8 reviews)

• The pros of the organization is the work that they do, work environment ( cant beat the zoo) and my colleagues (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be a challenge with such an important mission (in 4 reviews)

• Leadership tends to be petty and cheap, as a result, both the Bronx Zoo and the staff are tenuously held together (in 5 reviews)

1. "Excellent place to work."

Current Employee - Director in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Director in Bronx, NY

I have been working at Wildlife Conservation Society full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The full-time staff are very dedicated, smart people - whether working on the zoo/aquarium side or the global conservation side.

Cons

Some people have been here forever and are stuck in the way they've done things for years. They need a little shake-up here and there.

Advice to Management

Always be open to change and improvement.

2. "Learning and Capacity Building Intern"

Current Intern - Learning and Capacity Building in Bronx, NY
    Current Intern - Learning and Capacity Building in Bronx, NY

I have been working at Wildlife Conservation Society as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Open and honest managers
    Different types of projects to work on
    Many opportunities to gain feedback on work

Cons

Some days are slower than others but this is expected in any internship.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! I have a wonderful experience interning at the Wildlife Conservation Society. I believe that I have enhanced my experience in learning and development through this internship.

3. "Excellent organization"

Former Employee - Writer in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Writer in Bronx, NY

I worked at Wildlife Conservation Society full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-You contribute to the fight to save wildlife
    -Excellent colleagues, good mentors

Cons

-The pay isn't high
    -It takes a long time to advance

5. "Decent for Young Adults"

Former Employee - Guest Service Representative in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Guest Service Representative in Bronx, NY

I worked at Wildlife Conservation Society (Less than a year)

Pros

Fixed Hours, Potential for Overtime

Cons

Exposed to the elements, Zoo remains open during winter, poor pay.

Advice to Management

Be more considerate of the conditions your workers are working under.

6. "Great environment, Pay Not That Great"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bronx, NY

I worked at Wildlife Conservation Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cons

Its non for profit so the pay is not that great, and the work life balance is non existent during some times of the years

Advice to Management

Compensate your employees so that there will be less turn over and less getting to work and train new people

"Oppressive departmental heads"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bronx, NY

Pros

Amazing company and environment to work for. I love the job but the staff is very cliquey.

Cons

Leadership is severely lacking in skill and should be evaluated at the same level that lower level positions are. Very disappointed in my experience with how impersonal department heads are when making structural changes. They do not take the time to evaluate and utilize the skill levels of their department or realize who is working within the department. There is a definite sense of favoritism and personal bias rather than assessing work and qualifications professionally. The office spaces are in definite need of improvement as well as making things structurally sound.

Advice to Management

Management needs training. Department heads need to be assessed more closely through evaluations from lower level employees. Not just the other way around.

"An Okay Internship Opportunity - Learning and Capacity Building Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Bronx, NY
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Bronx, NY

I worked at Wildlife Conservation Society as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

WCS is well known in the industry. Everyone has heard of the organization and they have a wonderful reputation. The internship was a good learning opportunity when it came to training & development. Management was respectful and extremely knowledgeable. WCS staff members have built their careers here so you'll learn a lot from them.

Cons

There were multiple interns hired at the same time so some days there was not a lot of work to do. Also the internship is unpaid (not even a stipend is provided) so if you cannot afford to work for free for a minimum of three months look elsewhere. When it comes to the type of projects that I worked on, some were great and others could be classified as busy work. We were given projects that were not challenging and took only 30 minutes to complete. Sometimes it felt like management only had us there to do the work that they did not want to do or were too busy to do.

Advice to Management

Actually utilize your interns. Give them more than just busy work. This economy has left college student fighting to get their foots in the door. Therefore as a student we must gain valuable skills just to qualify for jobs post-graduation. Time is of the essence.

"Terrible place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bronx, NY

I worked at Wildlife Conservation Society full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

-Important mission
    -Conservation work in field is conducted at a very high level

Cons

-Terrible Leadership whose poor behavior trickles down
    -Awful pay structure where Senior Leadership make too much money and others are barely afforded cost of living increases
    -No room for work/life balance
    -Weak HR Dept
    -Bronx Zoo is deteriorating physically

Advice to Management

Invest in the people that make your organization strong, and take a bit of a paycut yourself.

"Monorail Tour Guide"

Former Employee - Tour Guide in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Tour Guide in Bronx, NY

I worked at Wildlife Conservation Society full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was a Tour Guide on the Wild Asia Monorail last summer. I was given a script, which we are allowed to keep onboard until we memorize the script and can also tweak it to make it your own. Believe me, you don't want to talk the way the script is written. Operating the monorail makes you feel in control. Be sure you can operate it, narrate to your audience via headset, answer your radio when a supervisor is trying to reach you and watch out for red lights at the same time. Yes, there's even traffic on the monorail. Peacocks enjoy resting on the rails. They fly off just before the car strikes them. If you enjoy watching animals in their habitats, are interested in studying their behaviors and enjoy working outdoors, this may be the perfect entry level, seasonal job for you.

Cons

We are supposed to do two 20 minute tours and one spot for 20 mins (spotting is when you act as a second pair of eyes in the seventh car for the operator when the monorail makes its many turns out of view), this gives you an hour on the monorail. Sometimes you don't get your relief after one hour especially when there is a staff shortage. Then you have to go another 20 min round. Don't attempt to use the bathroom at that time because the monorail has to depart on a timely schedule. With all the water you will consume due to talking your script and the heat during the summer, you will be glad to see you relief and stretch your limbs only to meet a 5 min bathroom break. Yes, I said 5 mins. Do not stand on the bathroom line (there are no employee bathrooms in all the 265 acres that make up the Bronx Zoo) or you are late and excessive bathroom lateness is cause for a reprimand. Afterwards you may need to get back on the monorail or take your 40 min break. Don't be late after that either. Another con is how supervisors and employees fraternize in your face and all you're thinking is "get a room". And if that isn't enough, get ready to make an hourly salary of $9.75!

Advice to Management

Stop fraternization practices, give employees a real place to enjoy their break instead of a picnic table with an umbrella (should that be a plus?), it sometimes takes longer than 5 mins to do your bathroom duties and for all the work we do (setting up for the day, cleaning up the platform, closing out the day when monorail closes) we deserve more than $9.75 an hour.

"Loved this job. The employer? Not so much."

Former Employee - Manager, Media in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Manager, Media in Bronx, NY

I worked at Wildlife Conservation Society (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great mission. Great Benefits. Creative team. Really fun work environment. Clear departmental goals.

Cons

Overwhelmingly top heavy - both in terms of salary and control. Very siloed between global and zoos. Really poor salaries and limited opportunities for advancement.

Advice to Management

There are certain Vice Presidents that are bullies. They behave like children and do not listen to others. They ruin the environment for everyone.