Wiley Reviews in Indianapolis, IN | Glassdoor

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Wiley President & CEO Mark Allin
Mark Allin

Pros
  • Unlike many other companies, Wiley actually has a pretty good work/life balance (in 123 reviews)

• Good benefits and smart employees (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • No room for advancement and a sense that there is no support from senior management (in 16 reviews)

• Upper management makes sweeping changes every few months with little thought to consequences for on-the-ground employees (in 31 reviews)

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Project Editor in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Project Editor in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Wiley (More than 5 years)

Pros

knowledgeable colleagues and management. excellent pay and benefits, including pto and holidays. good career advancement and assistance (but see cons)

Cons

reorganizations can lay off entire departments, no attempt to place excellent experienced employees in suitable openings

"Fall from grace"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Wiley full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Extensive PTO. Flexible working hours, typically.

Cons

Once a "top places to work," now quite a miserable experience. A great number of employees spend their days fixing or overcoming internal problems. It's a big company, and there are some areas doing fine. Those are the areas where companies have been acquired and are functioning separately from the core business (which dates back over 200 years).

Advice to Management

Fix - truly fix - the internal problems first, and right away. Then dive headfirst into your digital plans.

"Transition"

Former Employee - Senior Editor in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Wiley full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

35-40 hour workweek. Generous vacation time. Decent benefits. Good co-workers

Cons

Massive layoffs during a transitional period. Many experienced employees were let go and their jobs were given to less experienced employees, freelanced, or outsourced to India.

Advice to Management

Outsourcing to India was a bad idea. Keep your best.

"Project Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Colleagues were great and I learned so much from them. My immediate manager was the best in my career.

Cons

The people to whom my boss reported were not up on the latest technologies and did not act on the advise of their more technically advanced employees. The new direction of the company is brutal.

Advice to Management

Bring the humanity back to your company. It seems to strictly be about profit at this point.

"Use to be a good company!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Wiley full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The time off was good.

Cons

I had been with Wiley for over ten years, my job responsibility tripled and then I was kicked to the curb! They told us they had squeezed everything the could out of us! No longer an American "Family" company! Not a transparent company!

Advice to Management

You forgot where you came from!

"Good place to start"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Wiley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, nice people, good benefits, lots of small events for the different teams, global company

Cons

Very little room for advancement, needs updating, company is moving everything around due to moving more digital

Advice to Management

Condense the offices so more people can work together. Organize training for the teams. Organize management!

8. "Nice Company"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Wiley as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people, laid back atmosphere most of the time. Keeps you busy.

Cons

The pay sucks if you are a temp. If you've been there for a while they slowly give you a full-time tasks with part-time pay.

Advice to Management

If you know you have a good worker please realize that get them hired on full-time before they leave.

"Wiley's "Scorched Earth" Policy?"

Former Employee - Senior Editor in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Wiley full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wonderful and intelligent colleagues who cared about their work. Great PTO and a pretty good modern office building -- until it started to show its age and repairs/updates weren't done because the company was in the throes of Armageddon-like layoffs. (Why fix an office building if no one will be there to work in it?). Back to the pros: great pride in strong, well-crafted products ... until the emphasis shifted to quantity, not quality. Very decent severance package (thanks).

Cons

Institutional knowledge has been decimated. Whatever is left in the few long-timers who are still at Wiley ... well, they are overworked and continue to be kept in the dark as far as an effective digital strategy goes. Senior executives haven't a clue on how to compete in a game to which they are extremely late. Perhaps they are applying the "scorched earth policy" in order to create a Wiley 2.0 (from scratch) that is digitally relevant?

Advice to Management

There are many great bits of advice on this site. Please read them and seriously consider applying them: flatten silos; train staff company-wide on creating/selling/marketing digital products; listen to the managers who are in the trenches.

10. "Editorial Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Wiley as an intern

Pros

The people were amazing. Very willing to work with you and answer any and all questions that I had. Great program for encouraging exercise and healthy living. I feel like I had real, hands-on experience and that my ideas and thoughts were valued, never belittled because I was "only an intern".

Cons

Solitary work space in a cubicle for the majority of the day and had a lot of lay-offs recently. Big corporations are slow to implement change.

Advice to Management

Needs to start taking some risks and not move so slowly in the digital realm of things.

"Loss of Focus"

Former Employee - Tier I Product Technical Support Representative in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Wiley full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked in technical support which was ancillary to the company's publishing business. Wiley puts out some great products - excellent books. They take work/life balance very seriously.

Cons

Publishing has never paid very well at the entry level, but Wiley's wages were low even by industry standards. They know about problems and fixable errors with their electronic products but refuse to address them.

Advice to Management

Focus on books and not on poorly programmed software created by the lowest bidder.