Wiley Reviews in Melbourne | Glassdoor

2.1
Wiley President & CEO Mark Allin
Mark Allin
1 Rating

Pros
  • Work Life balance of a 35 hour full time work week is great (in 136 reviews)

• Good benefits and smart employees (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • No room for advancement and a sense that there is no support from senior management (in 16 reviews)

• Especially credibility of upper management (in 33 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - -- Please Select -- in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - -- Please Select -- in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Wiley full-time

Pros

Great people and culture
    You are listened to
    Fantastic compensation

Cons

Still working its way through how to be a fully digital company (as of early 2016)

Advice to Management

Keep pushing the boundaries and be prepared to take chances and perhaps fail.

"Shrinking company in a dying industry."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

Pros

Pay is above award but below industry standard.
    People overall are ok - only a couple of megalomaniacs.
    Some benefits you would not expect - day off for company picnic etc.

Cons

Stuck in time with a fragmented business with too much cash and not enough risk. They can see the market has changed but keep buying 2nd rate companies to plug gaps in their offering.

Senior leadership a bit befuddled. See themselves as a noble profession rather than a business that should be looking to turn profit.

No real need for this business to operate in Australia and can't see them continuing to be viable here in the medium term.

Advice to Management

Sell or Merge to survive.

"It is the place to be!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

I worked at Wiley full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked in a support function where I had some long tenured colleagues in the team.These colleagues took on board my new ideas and I always felt supported. Outside of my team many in the business were very supportive of ideas that I brought on board. It is one of the most supportive environments that I have worked in. I was based in one of their Australian offices so being distant from the Hoboken head office does mean that a lot of the changes that happen globally fortunately do not impact us too much.
    I truly believe that the business does it's best to support colleagues. The business does its best to provide adequate training, social activities and room for professional growth.

Cons

As a globally listed company a lot of things had to make it's way up the chain for approval which can take a while to come to fruition.
    As many colleagues were long tenured they weren't always open to change. Everyone understands that we need to adapt our way of doing business but change isn't always comfortable.
    The 3 revenue streams do work in silos as a business and this does mean socially there are silios. Despite being a small office often colleagues across the business lines do not really speak to each other.

Advice to Management

Leaders of business of different revenue streams should engage in one another more and this will trickle through to their teams.
    As the business goes through changes and start to recognise that they need to bring skills from other industries into the business, they need have a better renumeration strategy to reflect this.

5. "The place to be?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

Pros

Pleasant environment, good opportunities, nice people, interesting work

Cons

Bad office location, work can be a bit samey

Advice to Management

A bit more communication would be useful.