Willamette Dental Group Employee Reviews about "long hours"

Updated Aug 28, 2019

3.5
Willamette Dental Group President & CEO Eugene Skourtes (no image)
Eugene Skourtes
Pros
  • "Great benefits and they really stick to their mission and caring for employees(in 30 reviews)

• "Flexible schedule, environment friendly, good benefits and better pay to start(in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours, limited professional autonomy, micromanagement(in 15 reviews)

• "The dentist compensation formula for Press Ganey customer service surveys and patient access to your schedule only benefits the managing dentist(in 9 reviews)

Reviews about "long hours"

Return to all Reviews

"20 year employee"

5.0
    Current Employee - Dental Assistant in Richland, WA

I have been working at Willamette Dental Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

love working at Willamette Dental you have great staff and if you have family emergency you have plenty others to cover for you. 401k is great and health care benefits are too.

Cons

long hours but on the plus side you work four ten hour days and have more time with your family.

"WDG"

Current Employee - Dental Assistant

I have been working at Willamette Dental Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits, good pay. Good employer

Cons

Horrible scrubs long hours

Employee Relations

Thank you for taking the time to write your review! We are glad to hear you are happy working here and appreciate the benefits and pay. We are pleased to provide a robust benefit and compensation package for our employees and their families. Your continued support and hard work is greatly appreciated in making Willamette Dental Group a great place to work.

"Insurance company first, dental company 2nd."

Former Employee - Dentist

I worked at Willamette Dental Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

benefits, 4 day work weeks, employee engagement

Cons

Long hours, micromanagement, dishonesty, outdated equipment and practices, and lack of clinical autonomy. Being clinically conservative is masked as being good for the patient but in reality it is because it is a self HMO plan provider. It is really about keeping as much of the money from the insurance side as possible and not have to provide treatment. Ultra conservative to the point where they try to stop you from doing procedures until too late to fix or you have to do compromised patchwork. They have a dollar amount goal of how little you are supposed to do per patient.

Employee Relations

We appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback regarding your experience. Discussing your concerns is a priority for us. If you haven't already, please feel free to reach out to our Employee Relations department. We take feedback seriously and care about what our employees have to say.

"It’s an insurance company first"

Former Employee - General Dentist in Cascadia, OR

I worked at Willamette Dental Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits, paid time off, predictable work in competitive markets

Cons

Long hours, limited professional autonomy, micromanagement. The insurance is the income, dentistry is an expense.

Manager of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback and we’re sorry to hear that you didn’t have the autonomy you were seeking. With more than 500,000 members and 52 practices we strive to provide continuity of care to all our patients through evidence based dentistry.

"Don’t ruin your resume"

Current Employee - Keeping Quiet in Richland, WA

I have been working at Willamette Dental Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The company has a great philosophy and I love the patients and most staff. Amazing Doctors.

Cons

Very poor management. Ignore office bullying and harassment. Micro manage the hard working employees and reward the lazy, incompetent employees. Employees are afraid to speak up as they will be reprimanded, given warnings or let go. I have never seen anything like this. Long hours and brutal schedules. Quality of care is questionable.

Continue reading

"More political than congress!"

I worked at Willamette Dental Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great medical benefits. Good PTO.

Cons

Appaling favortism and nepotism. Complete ignorance of bad behavior by HR and Management. If you are making the company money or perceived to be doing so, you are lawless. Overworked dentists and hygentists - noncompetes make it hard to leave. High volume of patients with severe dental issues. Bare minimum, cheapest treatments, they advise patients even with dental problems to only be seen annually or less. Decades behind on technology, tools, materials and treatments. Facilities need vast overhaul. Use predominately Chinese labs. Long waits for paitients to get in. Very few specialty providers despite alarming need. Long hours. What you expect from a low-end managed care option. More importance for business bottom line than patients and employees.

Manager of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your review and your 8+ years of service. We’re sorry to hear you left with a less than favorable opinion of our Evidence-Based Dental Group. We’re proud of our state of the art electronic health record and digital radiography solutions. In 2018 we recruited and hired more than 12 specialists in endodontics, oral surgery and orthodontics to address the growing specialty need among our patients.

"Dental assistant"

2.0
    Current Employee - Dental Assistant in Portland, OR

I have been working at Willamette Dental Group part-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay, great support from co-workers, good benefits

Cons

Long hours, packed schedule, feel like patients don’t get enough personalized care. Feel like doctors are told to just patch teeth rather than place a crown, patients come back for continuous broken teeth. The feeling that new grads or younger less experienced assistants are favorited over more mature, highly skilled ones. You get the “not a good fit” when trying to get placed in a full time position or changing locations. That doesn’t help one try to “fix” or better themselves in their career. The interview process for current employees varies and are not always fair or without bias. Management, in general, has its favorites and seem to let it show (not all). Those in on-call positions aren’t treated like they are apart of the company, just the help and aren’t appreciated. There are those that care but aren’t in position to help. Doctors aren’t given enough say so during the hiring process. My experience has not been positive and feel like as an older highly skilled assistant who’s number 1 duty is to make patients experience an amazing one, I don’t matter. A few staff members who don’t like you can keep you from growing and achieving your goals. Willamette my not be my employer of choice.

Manager of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback and we’re sorry to hear about the challenges you’re experiencing as an on-call Dental Assistant. If you’ve not done so already, we encourage you to contact our employee relations team or email them at wdgemployeerelations@willamettedental.com for a confidential conversation.

8. "Not the best place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Everett, WA

I worked at Willamette Dental Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

It has great dental and medical benefits

Cons

There was a lot of drama between employees and staff. Not a lot of communication Long hours, a lot of employees didn’t get adiquite breaks as they were always under staffed

Manager of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your review and we’re sorry you felt the communication was lacking in your practice. If you’ve not done so already, we encourage you to complete an “Exit Interview” with our employee relations team or email them at wdgemployeerelations@willamettedental.com for a confidential conversation.

9. "hygienist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Willamette Dental Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good 401 K, large company, good medical benefits

Cons

long hours, poor management, long term employees not helpful

Talent Acquisition Coordinator

We're happy to hear the benefits package and 401k are meeting your needs, but sorry to hear you wouldn't recommend us as a long term employee. If you have concerns about your office management and support from your team, please reach out to our Employee Relations department to help address those issues. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review.

10. "Dental Assistant"

Current Employee - Dental Assistant in Salem, OR

I have been working at Willamette Dental Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

WDG has a very competitive compensation package! WDG is flexible with personal schedules.

Cons

We work long hours. 10 hour days. Our clinical supplies are limited to what is approved by the company.

Talent Acquisition Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review! We are happy to hear the compensation and schedule flexibility fit your needs! We realized 10-hour shifts can be long, but hope it is made up for with 3 and 4 day work weeks. Our clinical supplies are carefully chosen to contribute to a consistent patient care experience across all locations, but please feel free to reach out the Materials Committee if there are items you'd like them to consider. Thank you for the feedback!

Found 15 reviews