William Hill Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
Philip Bowcock

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is non-existent (in 29 reviews)

• finishing really late or working long hours per day (in 55 reviews)

1. "Company Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at William Hill full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall, a good company to work for.

Cons

None at this current time.

"Its who you know"

Former Employee - Finance in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Finance in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at William Hill full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are friendly and they do things to try to get the people to come together. Hours of operation is the better than most gaming companies in LV, considering this is in thr "gaming industry". Not your average 24/7 schedules.

Cons

Its who you know that will get you to promote and earn incentives and awards. This is a place where relationships matter. No matching of 401k, vacation incentives, raises and pay is terrible and if you have problem with management, then good luck!! Huge turnover all around! Not much room or places to advance. Its more aout the company than their employees. Volunteer events isnt really a volunteer but a must!

Advice to Management

Turnover has been high, raises, bonuses, vacation time and benefits and increase in pay should be better. Bottom of the list compared to other gaming companies. Good employees tend to leave when management is poor.

3. "Customer Support Agent"

Current Employee - Race & Sports Super Ticket Writer in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Race & Sports Super Ticket Writer in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at William Hill (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility within the workplace and balance in work life.

Cons

Poor Management and poor decision making by management.

Advice to Management

Pay people what they are worth.

"Anonymous"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at William Hill full-time

Pros

We do have a large amount of availability in the different types of options that are available in betting.

Cons

Because of the nature of the industry and the style of work that is done, the opportunity
    for growth is almost impossible. It is very difficult to increase your salary wages in this
    type of company. The room for upward mobility is also hindered in the fact that there
    aren't many positions available to advance if you are in the auditing / finance department. With the company being a part of the gaming industry, the opportunities for advancement is based more on WHO you know, not what you know. It's also shrugging your shoulders off in the correct manner to upper level management to get any type of advancement.
    Having a vast array of knowledge and being able to utilize your effective skills and put them
    to use is pretty difficult in this type of company and industry. Remember, favoritism plays an essential role in the gaming industry and especially in Vegas. This is quite possibly the only way for advancement. Overall, I would say that if you are in the auditing department, room for advancement is extremely difficult and there isn't a progressive future in it. Also, the pay I would say is comparable to living paycheck to paycheck. It's hard to increase your salary in this type of industry and if you are an individual who is looking to advance, unfortunately this isn't the environment to do that in. There aren't more positions in the finance / compliance department to allow individuals who have the necessary skills sets to want to advance. Also, with the work being as monotonous as it is, don't count on advancing. I think also that because of the nature of the business being a bookmaker type of company, there aren't many areas where the industry is advanced enough to allow for competitive benefits and salary increases. This is true primarily for areas in finance, however, if you can program and develop code, you might see some sort of potential in product development. But than again, this is Vegas, and you have to have very good connections to work here for that specific type of occupation.

Advice to Management

I believe that credit should be given where credit is due. I think that people who have the essential skills and can provide their level of beneficial services to the company, whether it be in finance or product development, than let that person have the opportunity to grow and excel. Unfortunately, that doesn't happen very often based on my experience here and working in the gaming industry. Favoritism plays a key role in this type of industry, and if you aren't a part of that list, advancing your way to the top is practically nonexistent. Even interviews for positions are practically fixed and management already has their decision made before they even interview everybody. Overall, management doesn't allow for an individual to grow and excel. They have their likes for people they already believe are qualified candidates for positions that open up when they do. It doesn't give much of a chance to other individuals applying for the same position. And also, you really don't need a degree if you want to work in auditing / finance but it is required surprisingly for other departments such as product development.

William Hill Response

Jul 26, 2016 – William Hill US Representative

Thank you for your honest feedback. We do make it a priority to recruit and develop the talent within the company. As I'm sure you understand, it can be difficult to control or predict when positions... More

5. "William Hill US"

I have been working at William Hill full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Job security
    -Great people
    -Continuous improvements
    -Employees have a voice
    -Fun atmosphere
    -Lots of opportunity for growth
    -Location

Cons

-You can't make everyone happy

Advice to Management

Everyone is clearly trying to make this a great place to work. Keep it up!

6. "writer"

Former Employee - Ticket Writer in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Ticket Writer in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at William Hill (Less than a year)

Pros

good benefit, nice supervisor, people who you worked with are nice.

Cons

if you deal with nice people and get good tips the pay check doesn't matter. but if you work to deal cheap people and no tips. the minimum paid is the reason i left.

Advice to Management

writer needs more money to take care of the family.

7. "Revenue Auditor"

I have been working at William Hill full-time

Pros

Fun company because it is just fairly new in the States so you can see the company really grow!

Cons

A lot of work and not enough pay.

"Management RULES"

Current Employee - Customer Support in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Customer Support in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at William Hill full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A good comedy show that should have a 2 drink minimum. You get to meet alot of new people because we cycle them in and out faster than Jimmy Johns delivers sandwhiches. A great sports company who believes in a turnover rate higher than Tony Romo in the playoffs. They support that rate by giving lowball pay and having people chase down Usain Bolt to get a raise for their work. They gave out a bonus this year to hourly employees like it was favor and then they couldn't even eat the Tax on it. Salary employees, who make the most money and get raises, got a bonus 3 times the amount of the hourly. Their is a manager by us who walks around ALL DAY and shows up when he wants, calls in frequently and does nothing, all while still having a job. Great perks indeed.

Cons

Babysitting said manager in the other department because my boss needs to keep track of him.
    We get 1 week of pto for the first 1-2 years and no sick pay.
    System crashes at the best times (5 minutes before gametime on NFL Sunday - 5 weeks last year)
    Training a new hire every month and then watching them realize this is a comedy and leaving THE SHOW (see what I did there?)

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate what you are asking for what you are offering and you won't have so many turnovers. You're trying to throw the deep ball with a noodle arm.
    Some managers need to learn to manage. Some don't even know their department. You're basically putting Football players on the Marching band and expecting them to lead.

William Hill Response

Jun 24, 2015 – William Hill US Representative

Thank you for your advice and 5+ years. Our veterans of the company are a great resource for us to know where improvements can be made. I am thrilled that after 5+ years you still have a positive... More

"Review of Life at William Hill US"

I have been working at William Hill full-time

Pros

Industry leaders in race and sports book; no one comes close to our menu of betting options, in-play wagering menu. Excellent tech/dev team. Leadership team very active in support of all staff, no matter where they may be located in the state.Working at William Hill is choosing to be a part of a company that is only just beginning its remarkable journey.

Cons

Ticket writers handle cash like bank tellers, but expect at some point to get super abrasive patrons not found at banks.

Advice to Management

"Perks" are extraordinary... continue to host events, offer contests with great trips. HR involves employees positively like I have never seen anywhere else ever - do not stop that either!

"TEAM"

Current Employee - District Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - District Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at William Hill full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

William Hill is a great place to work. They make everyone feel apart of a Team. The company has bosses that care and that are in the field and books making sure everything looks good and customers are happy. They offer a fair wage and have insurance plus 401k options. If you are a good customer service person you should look to work for them. Customer Service is a huge part of the formula.

Cons

The biggest cons are getting sheets and horse racing scratch sheet up in the morning. Customers are waiting we need to get those sheets out as soon as possible. This has gotten a lot better though.

Advice to Management

You have built a great Team in the field sometimes they need to hear it from you Keep moving this company forward we have a chance to make something real special.