William Morris Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
William Morris CEO Jim Wiatt
Jim Wiatt

"No better place to learn the agency business"

Former Employee - Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Great place to learn the business. Will make life long contacts

Cons

Long hours, very demanding job

Advice to Management

Doing a great job

2. "Good company to work for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at William Morris full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun and friendly environment and most of the agents are approachable and helpful. The office space is nice and conveniently located. It was a good job out of college to get a lot of experience in the entertainment industry.

Cons

It was quite competitive if you wanted to be an agent and you had to start in the mailroom making really little before you get on a desk and become an assistant. But you learn a lot about the company and the people.

Advice to Management

I worked there before it became WIlliam Morris Endeavor so I can't speak to the new management, which I've heard has improved.

"Fast, fascinating and dynamic work environment where the job is more lifestyle than career. It becomes you!"

Former Employee - Vice President in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at William Morris full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Exciting, interesting people who are driven, Access to information about EVERYTHING entertainment (it is the CIA of the entertainment business)

Cons

Low pay for entry level, long hours, stressful, highly competitive, not for the timid

Advice to Management

Pay entry level better wages

"Everything is 6 degrees of separation to WIlliam Morris"

Former Employee - Assistant to EVP Contemporary Music in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant to EVP Contemporary Music in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at William Morris full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing people and opportunity for a solid career, work ethic training

Cons

you better have a thick skin!

6. "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times"

Former Employee - Agent Assistant in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Agent Assistant in Beverly Hills, CA

Pros

- Resume Builder
    - Fun work environment
    - Always someone to cover you when you take a day off
    - You get to see and often meet celebrities
    - The agents are a cast of characters so it's never dull

Cons

- The merger shifted the corporate culture and most original WMA people have left
    - The pay, like at most agencies, is lousy and there was a cut after the merger
    - Long hours

Advice to Management

Model the corporate culture after the orginial WMA music department. Work hard, play hard and be yourself.

7. "Average Experience at Average Company"

Former Employee - Assistant in Beverly Hills, CA

Pros

Excellent support staff
    Competitive pay
    Great perks and bonuses

Cons

Unstable working environment
    Ridiculous politics run rampant
    Lack of cohesive vision for the future

Advice to Management

Good luck, Ari

8. "Was an OK Place With Excellent History and Terrible Management"

Former Employee - Assistant in Beverly Hills, CA

Pros

Excellent support staff
    Great history
    Great clients

Cons

Incompetent management
    Failing MoPic and TV depts

Advice to Management

Good luck, Ari!

9. "Patience Required"

Former Employee - Trainee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Trainee in New York, NY

Pros

Above average paid time off and holidays.

Cons

Very little room for advancement. Very low pay. Favoritism displayed by upper management.

Advice to Management

While I understand the necessity for an "A" type personality to thrive in this type of business, the culture that is bred is one that resembles a fraternity. It takes incredible patience, to try and and climb the corporate ladder.

"Agent training program in New York is a good place to learn a lot if you can afford to live on the salary."

Former Employee - Agent Trainee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Agent Trainee in New York, NY

Pros

There is no better place to learn the inside workings of the entertainment business. I learned a sick amount about how all kind of thinks work that I didn't understand before. They don't really teach you, you have to pick it up on your own, but it's all there if you listen and watch and read, which they encourage you to do.

The people in the New York office are great - young, smart, friendly. The New York management is understanding and supportive and very encouraging to the agent trainees. Most of the agents in New York really know their areas of the business and are willing to mentor you if you are willing to help them get their work done and don't act too needy. This is a good place to keep your mouth shut and do excellent work and you will probably be rewarded if you do.

You hear a lot about agents being yellers but this was not true for me. There were only a couple of agents like that in NY.

Having the William Morris agent training program on your resume is a huge help in getting your next job if you decide you don't want to be an agent. It got my foot in the door a lot of places that I know that was the reason why.

On a more superficial note, but important in NY with a relatively low salary, they provide a lot of food at meetings for the agent trainees. They know we have no money and this is a way they take the edge off, I guess.

And William Morris closes for 2 weeks paid vacation for everyone every Christmas. Awesome.

Cons

There is zero communication from upper management to anyone at William Morris. And since upper management is in California, this leaves Ny totally out in the cold. I got the feeling that even the agents I worked for were struggling to be recognized by their west coast bosses. So this left me feeling really insecure about my future. I don't think they think very far into the future - the attitude was more like "we'll cross that bridge when we get to it."

You don't get much feedback about how you're doing your job and they believe you should be able to figure out on your own how you are doing, which is understandable in many ways, but a lot of people struggled with that.

You only get a raise once a year, and it is not a very big one. But you can work overtime fairly easily if you can justify it.

Advice to Management

They are pathetic. They blow into town a few times a year and never speak to us and when they do, they expect us to bow down to them. They don't seem like they know what is going on in NY. I don't think they have done a very good job of leading us. The NY management seems like they are trying to fill in the gap for everybody.

"Work at this agency if you want to learn the business!"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Beverly Hills, CA

Pros

The connections, the experience, the relationships. learning the industry from the ground up. A GREAT place for a college grad who would like to learn the industry to start. If you are unsure where to start, consider working at an Agency. Working in the Mailroom is even a better idea. Although its pretty competitive to get a position in the mailroom and you often feel like you are doing menial tasks, it will pay off. Lawyers even start in the mailroom. Try reading "The Mailroom" and you will get a feel for how an Agency works- including personal interviews with founders and execs.

Cons

The pay and the hours were pretty harsh.

Advice to Management

keep up the good work!