Williams Kastner Reviews | Glassdoor

Tim Blue

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Gossipy but fine"

Current Employee - File Clerk in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Williams Kastner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun perks and things to learn. Some people were very nice to work with and made the time I spent there very pleasant.

Cons

The work environment could be a bit gossipy and the unspoken hierarchy of some attorneys was sometimes detrimental to many legal assistants and non-attorney staff.

2. "Paralegal"

I have been working at Williams Kastner full-time

Pros

Interesting cases and clients, very intelligent attorneys that are easy to work with, great management, fantastic staff.

Cons

Attorneys are historically difficult to communicate with.

Advice to Management

Some management of attorneys is needed to prevent staff turnover.

3. "Highly Recommend - Great Management Team"

Pros

I found that Williams Kastner has a strong and encouraging management team, especially in HR and Finance. The whole team works well together and strives to be transparent and collaborative with all levels of staff. This firm appreciates hard work and encourages team players. I was promoted within the firm. I highly recommend Williams Kastner. I only left due to an employment opportunity, otherwise was completely happy there. Generous benefit package including HSA employer contribution and Profit Sharing.

Cons

Attorneys can have strong personalities. Williams Kastner is similar to other law firms.

Advice to Management

Continue with what you are doing, the transparency and inclusion has really improved since Arun, Tara, and Emma took the helm.

4. "File-Clerk Review"

Current Employee - File Clerk in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Williams Kastner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is my first job out of college and I couldn't have made a better choice. I'm learning so much in a great environment. There's also room to grow within the firm and I can see myself staying here until I eventually go to law school. Everyone is really friendly and open to questions. The firm has an excellent reputation and continues to be successful.

Cons

I haven't really run into any "cons" so far while being here. This could change as time passes but I don't anticipate it.

Advice to Management

Management has been open and useful. There's a strong sense of a team environment here and I like that management fosters that.

5. "Excellent Firm"

Current Employee - Legal Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Legal Assistant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Williams Kastner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, promotion opportunities and excellent management team. Management is approachable down to earth. New team with new ideas. The staff gets along well and are always willing to assist when/where needed.

Cons

Attorney disagreements - too much dissension in the ranks. It is difficult to work for a firm where tension among the Members are palpable.

Advice to Management

Team building for attorneys is needed.

6. "Elitist Attorneys only looking out for themselves."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Good Benefits, flexible schedule and profit sharing.

Cons

Gave staff low raises and sometimes no raises at all. For the last couple of years they have had to layoff good people especially who have been loyal to the firm just to fatten their pockets. Whatever happen to loyalty and longevity? Firm instills a sense of elitist mindset where attorneys and upper management conduct themselves in a way that they believe that they are above everyone else.

7. "Legal Assistant"

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Williams Kastner (More than 3 years)

Pros

Firm provided training, annual recognition during Administrative Professionals Week, Holiday Party, other events that are supposed to be team building.

Cons

This firm has a toxic work environment.

8. "Didn't want to believe it was a bad idea but ..."

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Williams Kastner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are many really fabulous senior "members" or non-income attorneys who are excellent, focused and respectful of others while practicing law. Many of the staff are very hard working. Absolutely wonderful to work with those few excellent professionals who are respectful to others. This firm really appreciates the skills and importance of the Marketing department which is staffed with brilliant individuals. Firm has been around a long time!

Cons

Below average pay and benefits. HR is unprofessional and the handful of decent senior attorneys that exist have little say in the direction of the firm. The firm is "managed" by a "Board" of equity partners who are more concerned with their own personal profits, not the firm's future. Abusive behavior tolerated by management and HR. Huge divide between attorneys and staff. I ignored the local talk that WK was a bad place to work. Sadly, this previous work experience turned out to be one of the most abusive, unprofessional and dysfunctional jobs ever. Despite the well-staffed marketing department's excellent efforts, the firm continues to shrink.

Advice to Management

Dismantle the "Board" of attorneys so they can focus on practicing law. Hire an experienced, professional leader who can develop a real law firm business plan. Most attorneys know law school educated them to practice law, not manage a firm. Would you want a dentist performing open heart surgery on you? Adopt a zero tolerance policy for abusive behavior for everyone. Yes, even managers and HR.

"Watch Out! This place may give you an ulcer."

I worked at Williams Kastner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent insurance coverage and a company that does not believe in working overtime if it can be avoided. And this is for attorneys as well as staff. It's a 40 hour a week firm - 37.5 to be precise and no one is expected to be available outside of those hours, with the exception of a trial or other truly emergent situation.

Cons

1. Sloppy work product with too many mistakes shrugged off with no attempt to change or better the process or the acumen of the people providing the support. 2. Inscrutable firm politics... with teeth. This place is like high school when it comes to how to succeed. The successful formula is to lay as low as possible and form alliances surreptitiously and very, very slowly and cautiously. There are so many long-term employees, attorneys and staff alike, with long-running grudges and issues, that it's very easy when you're new to inadvertently get in the middle of something without knowing it. And before you know it, no one is speaking to you and you are having difficulty getting your work done. 3. Childish favoritism on the part of HR and attorney management that has more to do with being popular than being an effective professional. The person getting the raise and the bonus is not usually the person doing the best work. This firm has been steadily shrinking for the past 10 years. The reasons for this downsizing in a firm that claims to value growth are legion. Enough said.

Advice to Management

First of all, wake up and start looking at some of the negative buzz on the internet about your firm. It's 2014. Not 1985. If you really want to turn your firm around, you need a serious transfusion when it comes to management in all phases -the business and staff management as well as the attorney Board management. Control must be wrested from those who are intent on maintaining the status quo. Your internal politics are in danger of overcoming your business. It's like a bobsled out of control and though many in management see it, it's being tacitly accepted as the "way it is" and allowed to continue on its inevitable course. But I suspect you'll need to shrink some more before you decide to see it. My advice is that you wake up sooner rather than later.

10. "So-So"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Williams Kastner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great, generally well qualified coworkers. Interesting clients. Excitement around cases and work. Great location. Strong benefits. Trying to have a better teamwork culture.

Cons

Conservative in almost every way. Seems there a lot of politics at the top. Decisions come slowly. Cost cutting seems to be mainly gotten from staff expenses. Disparity between attorneys and everyone else.

Advice to Management

Make some cutbacks visible to staff so we don't think we are doing it all. This would improve staff morale. Don't be afraid to break out of the 1980's to invigorate the culture.