Williams Lea Tag Reviews in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

2.3
Williams Lea Tag CEO Dan Ellerton
Dan Ellerton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • One guy who said that work life balance is high and all of them can sit ideal and surf facebook for a long (in 14 reviews)

• Great people to work with, amazing chances to grow and learn different industries if you want to do so (in 26 reviews)

"Great Opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Williams Lea Tag full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The only company of its size and global reach.
    Truly global company that at its heart is run honestly.

Cons

Its Size! Its slow to change and adapt.
    Clash of cultures that don't mix and will never mix.

Advice to Management

Don't focus on making it "one" but give both sides the room to breath, innovate and work together than applying a straight jacket and single processes. Allow for individuality and you will see people deliver more than you expect.
    Get this right and we will be the worlds leader and best company in this space.

2. "Great Place if you're Growth driven and a self-starter"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Williams Lea Tag full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- competitive salary in my opinion (compared to any other place I've worked in NYC!)
    - great Grad Program option for young hires straight out of college (2 year program with salary increases every 3 months, ultimately resulting in a promotion at the end of the 2 years)
    - GREAT PEOPLE!
    - the ability to take things and run with them (if you are someone that can handle little direction and take the reigns)
    - Excellent work life balance (maybe this is dependent on the team you're on, but I'm at a Director level and prior to coming to WLT I worked at 2 different agencies where my hours were 10-12 hours a day on 1/2 of my current salary. Now, I rarely work beyond 9am-6pm. Of course there are peak periods, but honestly I have a life outside of work and don't wake up stressed in the middle of the night).

Cons

- constantly changing business structure
    - poor direction from upper management
    - people feel demotivated and as if there jobs are at risk
    - too much outsourcing to low cost centers, lack of understanding of our business
    - whether you have a positive or negative experience at the company really depends on the team you're on and if your manager fights to make things happen for you
    - too much corporate red tape since merger between WL and Tag
    - lack of responsibility from senior management

Advice to Management

Every company has issues, for me I have been afforded a great opportunity and career at WLT and I truly love what I do. I have shown results and have worked hard to forge relationships and in return I have gained trust and an investment by the business.

There needs to be a clear direction from C suite about what the future of our company is. People need to feel as though there is communication happening rather than being left in the dark. Personally, while turnover has been high recently - I think there were too many people that were not quite cutting it who kept their jobs for far too long. Sometimes you have to cut out the weeds in order to flourish. Make it easier for clients to do business with us - processes to complicated and unclear. Invest in the strong talent you do have, and find a way to re-energize and motivate people. Negative feelings and outlook won't have a good impact on the business.

"Needs improvement"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Williams Lea Tag full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are great and they are finally giving employees some perks again.

Cons

Management is terrible. No clear channel of communications, so nothing really happens. No job growth. Most people make under market value salaries.

Advice to Management

Better training for management.

"Good learning experience, but that's about it"

Former Employee - Digital Project Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Digital Project Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Williams Lea Tag full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Young office, fun people to work with, good place to gain experience for new graduates or people transitioning into the advertising world

Cons

Terrible pay, long hours, poor advancement/professional development opportunities, sexist executive management, no more employee perks like free snacks, Beer Friday, holiday parties, etc.

Advice to Management

When I worked there, the environment was akin to a high school classroom - lots of cliques and gossip, even from the top management. If you invest more in dedicated employees, you wouldn't have so much turnover. Stop sending your production offshore and support NYC workers!

5. "Not Worth a Long-Term Investment"

Former Employee - Senior Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Williams Lea Tag full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Strictly a 9-6 environment (No real overtime. Occasional, but rare.)
    - Free fruit, ice cream and cookies on various days
    - Benefits are so-so
    - Casual work environment/Excellent coworkers
    - Excellent experience for people just graduating school or people who have 0-2 years of real-world experience in production/design
    - Excellent place for networking (Due to the high employee turnover.)

Cons

Where to even start? As of right now, the company has appeared to have moved to a production only environment. The bulk of the work is currently being pushed to the Wheeling office. I do not recommend this company to anyone in the creative field or to anyone with a lengthy career. However, if you're new to the biz, or just looking to beef up your resume until something better comes along, then by all means, invest your time here. (But don't stay longer than a year or two. Anything after that is just wasted time.) There is almost zero room for advancement or growth. The employee turnover rate is very high at this company because of this. You will also receive a yearly "cost of living" raise. But, surprisingly, it doesn't cover the cost of living. It will probably be around 2%-4%. The salaries at this company also sometimes tend to run below the market average for New York City.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees. Distractionary office perks can only go so far. Free ice cream, cookies and other fatty foods don't make up for a living wage in this city. Sure, they are nice incentives to have, but most people just want to pay their bills and rent. Seriously, it's an expensive place to live and work. Senior management keeps wondering why the turnover rate is so high, yet employees have been consistently repeating the same concerns over and over again for the last three years. It baffles me how something so obvious isn't addressed. People will stick around if they are paid their worth and have the ability to grow in their career. It's just that simple.

6. "Do not trust them"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Williams Lea Tag full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay rate was not bad

Cons

Nothing they told me about the job was true. They list jobs that don't exist. They treat people like cattle.

7. "Account Supervisor"

I worked at Williams Lea Tag full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employee training, good people and promotes within.

Cons

I miss working for Williams Lea

Advice to Management

None

"Great people, but value proposition in need of repair"

Former Employee - Account Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Director in New York, NY

I worked at Williams Lea Tag full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The quality of the professionals who work to realize the value proposition. Incredible internal network of colleagues who support one another. A community of true subject matter experts.

Cons

Insufficient investment in and commitment to enabling technology. Lack of understanding among senior executives as to how the ops teams deliver service. Big disconnect between the day-to-day experience of the site teams and the day-to-day experience of headquarters staff.

Advice to Management

Support your teams in the field by providing them with a technology solution that sells itself. Get out in the field more to see what the rank and file do, and be visible to the clients in doing so.

9. "Assistant Account Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Account Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Williams Lea Tag full-time

Pros

Good job for people right out of college

Cons

Horrible management, top people at this company only care about themselves

"Great Brands!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Williams Lea Tag full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I got to work with some amazing brands and enjoyed the laid back office atmosphere.

Cons

There seems to be some difficulty in nailing down the organizational structure of the business which makes it difficult for people to improve business processes. Feels we are aiming for a constantly moving target and the executive team hasn't provided a great vision for the business other than hammering home "growth"

Advice to Management

Pick a long term strategy and have your actions support that strategy.