Williams Lea Tag Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Williams Lea Tag CEO Dan Ellerton
Dan Ellerton

Pros
  • One guy who said that work life balance is high and all of them can sit ideal and surf facebook for a long (in 13 reviews)

• Company has a global reach and has some great people working there (in 26 reviews)

Cons

1. "Good pay, bad upper management"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Wheeling, WV
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Wheeling, WV

I have been working at Williams Lea Tag (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay and Paid time off/Holidays off

Cons

Little to no guidance from upper management. Not receptive to change for the most part. Trouble keeping experienced people.

2. "Great Place if you're Growth driven and a self-starter"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Williams Lea Tag full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- competitive salary in my opinion (compared to any other place I've worked in NYC!)
    - great Grad Program option for young hires straight out of college (2 year program with salary increases every 3 months, ultimately resulting in a promotion at the end of the 2 years)
    - GREAT PEOPLE!
    - the ability to take things and run with them (if you are someone that can handle little direction and take the reigns)
    - Excellent work life balance (maybe this is dependent on the team you're on, but I'm at a Director level and prior to coming to WLT I worked at 2 different agencies where my hours were 10-12 hours a day on 1/2 of my current salary. Now, I rarely work beyond 9am-6pm. Of course there are peak periods, but honestly I have a life outside of work and don't wake up stressed in the middle of the night).

Cons

- constantly changing business structure
    - poor direction from upper management
    - people feel demotivated and as if there jobs are at risk
    - too much outsourcing to low cost centers, lack of understanding of our business
    - whether you have a positive or negative experience at the company really depends on the team you're on and if your manager fights to make things happen for you
    - too much corporate red tape since merger between WL and Tag
    - lack of responsibility from senior management

Advice to Management

Every company has issues, for me I have been afforded a great opportunity and career at WLT and I truly love what I do. I have shown results and have worked hard to forge relationships and in return I have gained trust and an investment by the business.

There needs to be a clear direction from C suite about what the future of our company is. People need to feel as though there is communication happening rather than being left in the dark. Personally, while turnover has been high recently - I think there were too many people that were not quite cutting it who kept their jobs for far too long. Sometimes you have to cut out the weeds in order to flourish. Make it easier for clients to do business with us - processes to complicated and unclear. Invest in the strong talent you do have, and find a way to re-energize and motivate people. Negative feelings and outlook won't have a good impact on the business.

3. "Needs improvement"

I worked at Williams Lea Tag full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are great and they are finally giving employees some perks again.

Cons

Management is terrible. No clear channel of communications, so nothing really happens. No job growth. Most people make under market value salaries.

Advice to Management

Better training for management.

5. "Unclear Directions and Large Turnover Rate"

I worked at Williams Lea Tag full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Benefits Package includes dental, vision, and medical options
    - Great coworkers
    - Good for starting a career, decent wages for the area if in a multi-income household

Cons

- Unclear directions from upper management, employees are told to go in one direction then the direction changes within a month or so causing mass confusion and errors
    - Large turnover rate, employees feel like they are numbers instead of valued employees, employees actively job searching in fear of cuts as the company changes its course multiple times in the past year
    - Employees stretch themselves thin to do more work than should be required for the stagnant wages provided
    - Cutting employees who were shared services after requiring employees to go shared services, and reverting to one-client employees instead
    - Employment is based on utilization and numbers, not experience and value
    - Not many opportunities for advancement, titles are changed but not wages to reflect the changes and increased responsibilities

Advice to Management

- Treat your employees like they are humans instead of numbers and dollar signs
    - Be transparent instead of pulling the rug out from loyal employees
    - Pay wages based on the workload and experience of the employee, instead of cutting valuable employees

6. "Decent for right out of school but not for a career"

I worked at Williams Lea Tag full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worked in the Tag/Creative Services area.
    Decent work with some big name clients, pretty good for right out of school.
    The people in the production studio are great and make the place fun.
    Benefits are pretty good.

Cons

They will under pay what you're worth (and are typically below standard) and expect more out of you than what they're paying you.
    This is definitely not a company for a long term career as they only care about having a warm body in a seat to get work done.
    No room for advancement and minimal chance for a raise any given year but will continually expect more out of you.
    No clear direction in where things are going within the company and a lack of transparency.

Advice to Management

Actually treat your employees like people instead of just focusing on profits. Listen to your employees and actually work on what they're looking for and you'll have dedicated people instead of people that feel unappreciated and look for any opportunity to leave.

7. "Its good short term"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Williams Lea Tag full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's good if you are okay with just getting paid and have insurance

Cons

poor comunication, leadership is not trusted. They would prefer to hire external rather than developing and promoting within.

"Good learning experience, but that's about it"

Former Employee - Digital Project Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Digital Project Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Williams Lea Tag full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Young office, fun people to work with, good place to gain experience for new graduates or people transitioning into the advertising world

Cons

Terrible pay, long hours, poor advancement/professional development opportunities, sexist executive management, no more employee perks like free snacks, Beer Friday, holiday parties, etc.

Advice to Management

When I worked there, the environment was akin to a high school classroom - lots of cliques and gossip, even from the top management. If you invest more in dedicated employees, you wouldn't have so much turnover. Stop sending your production offshore and support NYC workers!

9. "Nice Start"

Current Employee - Documentation Specialist in Wheeling, WV
    Current Employee - Documentation Specialist in Wheeling, WV

I have been working at Williams Lea Tag full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy going environment, open door policy, management receptive to new ideas.

Cons

Difficult to move around within the company, hard to move up.

10. "Not Worth a Long-Term Investment"

Former Employee - Senior Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Williams Lea Tag full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Strictly a 9-6 environment (No real overtime. Occasional, but rare.)
    - Free fruit, ice cream and cookies on various days
    - Benefits are so-so
    - Casual work environment/Excellent coworkers
    - Excellent experience for people just graduating school or people who have 0-2 years of real-world experience in production/design
    - Excellent place for networking (Due to the high employee turnover.)

Cons

Where to even start? As of right now, the company has appeared to have moved to a production only environment. The bulk of the work is currently being pushed to the Wheeling office. I do not recommend this company to anyone in the creative field or to anyone with a lengthy career. However, if you're new to the biz, or just looking to beef up your resume until something better comes along, then by all means, invest your time here. (But don't stay longer than a year or two. Anything after that is just wasted time.) There is almost zero room for advancement or growth. The employee turnover rate is very high at this company because of this. You will also receive a yearly "cost of living" raise. But, surprisingly, it doesn't cover the cost of living. It will probably be around 2%-4%. The salaries at this company also sometimes tend to run below the market average for New York City.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees. Distractionary office perks can only go so far. Free ice cream, cookies and other fatty foods don't make up for a living wage in this city. Sure, they are nice incentives to have, but most people just want to pay their bills and rent. Seriously, it's an expensive place to live and work. Senior management keeps wondering why the turnover rate is so high, yet employees have been consistently repeating the same concerns over and over again for the last three years. It baffles me how something so obvious isn't addressed. People will stick around if they are paid their worth and have the ability to grow in their career. It's just that simple.

11. "Do not trust them"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Williams Lea Tag full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay rate was not bad

Cons

Nothing they told me about the job was true. They list jobs that don't exist. They treat people like cattle.