Williams Lea Tag Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Williams Lea Tag CEO Dan Ellerton
Dan Ellerton

Pros
  • Company has a global reach and has some great people working there (in 25 reviews)

• One guy who said that work life balance is high and all of them can sit ideal and surf facebook for a long (in 11 reviews)

Cons

"Run, run, run - work here only if you need a paycheck while you keep looking"

Former Employee - Creative Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Creative Director in New York, NY

Pros

There are some individuals who are stars in terms of their professional abilities and the way they interact with others. I met a number of people who I truly enjoyed working with, and who I still network with.

Cons

Management talks about the "enterprenerial culture" - in other words . . . figure it out yourself. There is no leadership, no corporate strategic directive other than to increase revenue and reduce costs . . . but no overall strategy as to how the organization as a whole will achieve that. Therefore, everyone does what is best for their own bottom line and most of the time this puts departments at constant odds with each other. Absolutely no communication from management to staff. I was there for a year and the organization underwent 3 senior management re-orgs. There is no feedback about your performance, either good or bad - so when they decide your position is no longer cost effective it comes out of left field. Maximum salary increase is 3% and if you are at the max for your grade level you will not get an increase, regardless of your performance. Sales talks a great game to clients and then leaves everyone else to deliver on promises that are impossible to keep. The organization runs on a "virtual" office across multiple locations with no actual face time, so relationships that allow for effective workflow are never developed and managers are pitted against each other to deliver the best P&L for their particular business unit.

Advice to Management

Keep in mind that you are only as good as the staff that does the work. In any organization, employees are a company's greatest asset. Define the corporate strategy and show true leadership. Encourage business unit partnering instead of cut-throat backstabbing. Learn to treat everyone from the top-to-the bottom with some respect.

"The goal of Williams Lea is to put Americans out of work. Avoid if at all possible."

Current Employee - Senior Workflow Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Workflow Coordinator in New York, NY

Pros

They tend to recruit very talented people to work in their centers. Primarily due to the fact that almost all centers are outsourcing and have employed third-party vendors like Williams Lea to run their centers.

Cons

The talented people they recruit they treat as disposable, since their goal is to send as many jobs overseas as possible They have recently changed the vacation policy from set days based on a core schedule to days earned based on hours worked, then proceeded to cut hours. This has further demoralized a workforce who see it as a cynical use of the recession to cut back on benefits. Rules change without notice or explanation. The main purpose of the Stateside workforce is to facilitate, support, make excuses for, and repair the work botched by the India Center. No acknowledgement is made of the shortcomings of outsourcing, instead the worker's Stateside have to take the responsiblity for work they were not allowed to do when the client complains. There is no point in taking pride in your work as Williams Lea will not acknowledge or reward it. Compensation is low. Outsourcing has caused Salaries to be cut by half. The maximum pay raise is 3%.

Advice to Management

Since it is highly unlikely that India will ever be able to interface directly with clients, I would suggest that Williams Lea reward it's stateside employees.

"Terrible Place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

There are no Pros to working for this Williams lea.

Cons

Everything! Do not work for this company! There is no loyalty. You can give them your blood, sweat and tears and they repay you with nothing! unless you are A+ A55 kisser. The real employees that put in their hard work and dedication are no recognized, but the ones that don't do anything or even bother to show up to work (managers and higher ups) get compensated and are praised.

Advice to Management

T. Griffith and J. Barton you are being robbed by your own staff at the management levels and up wake up and open your eyes. Assess the high salaried employees you have as they are not worth the money you are spending on their salaries.

"Terrible company to work for."

Current Employee - Office Service Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Office Service Associate in San Francisco, CA

Pros

They have good companies where they place their office services employees.

Cons

Expect to be talked down to and unappreciated by unqualified managers. They hire staff that are nor trained properly. If something goes wrong you are told to not talk about it and act as if nothing ever happened. The pay is low. There is no advancement.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees and offer some praise for those who work hard. If the pay stays low you will only bring in unqualified employees. Offer some advancement.

"Awful place to work"

Former Employee - Word Processing Operator in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Word Processing Operator in Seattle, WA

Pros

It'll give you a paycheck for when you're looking for another job. I honestly can't think of any other pros to work there. Maybe life experience, in that it'll be an experience like no other and you'll understand what it is to feel disrespected and not valued as an employee.

Cons

Williams Lea treats its employees horribly. Inconsistent management, bounced checks, lack of guidance and marginalization are some of the fun things to experience while working there.

My supervisor would call to harass me, demanding I beef up billable hours. It's not like I was an attorney who could drum up some client work. She didn't seem to understand how law firms functioned.

Advice to Management

Respect is a two way street.

"Employment at Williams Lea Leaves a lot to be desired"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

Good clients, good people to work with not much else

Cons

Only feedback one ever gets is when they make a mistake. Going above and beyond is never recognized. Just about a dead end company to work for

Advice to Management

Use williams lea as a stepping stone for a career in management. Good for experience but not good for a long term career choice. Management goes through the motions but doesn't care about the people that work under them so no advice in the world would change the management culture at williams lea

8. "Not the right place if you're seeking a career"

Current Employee - Reprographics Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Reprographics Associate in New York, NY

Pros

Williams Lea is a great place to gain experience in the photocopying world. It's also good for developing relationships with clients who may be able to help you in the future. They do offer job stability given the way the economy is right now.

Cons

Their benefits package sucks. There are no bonuses, no form of appreciation for employees. We are over worked and underpay. Not a place to work if you are looking for growth.

Advice to Management

Take the timeout to listen to the problems your employees are facing before signing new contracts. Most of the problems we face are because of the crappy contracts created. There are a lot of talented people who work for Williams Lea. We're just not noticed.

I see a question below about Tim P. Griffith. As a current and senior employee of Williams Lea all I can say is who is Tim P. Griffith?

9. "The worst experience of my professional life."

Former Employee - Legal Document Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Legal Document Specialist in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I took this job because I was desperate. The salary was satisfactory, even though I worked an 8-hour day instead of 7.5 hours, as was usual in past jobs. The benefits were comparable to others jobs.

Cons

I took the job with Williams Lea because I had been unemployed for a long time and was desperate for a full-time job. I soon discovered not to expect any support from supervisors. There was no training, even though we went through an upgrade in software. I spent my own money on a software book and a subscription to a training website because of the lack of training offered by WL. This was necessary because I was the "go-to" person for staff with questions about the software. Performance reviews were held like criminal tribunals, all negative, despite positive feedback I had received from the client staff. Suggestions about improving work was treated with hostility. Criticisms were contradictory, as though management were not working from the same script. Requirements for processing documents would change without notice. They treat their employees with contempt. It seemed to meas though they were deliberately trying to get me to quit. I have been a professional in legal for more than 25 years, with excellent references and recommendations. But at Williams Lea they treated me like I was an incompetent idiot. No matter how hard I worked to fulfill their requirements, they persisted in giving me negative reviews. There was no way to discuss problems. It was a nightmare.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees' intelligence, Pay attention to problems and actually do something constructive about them instead of punishing employees for making suggestions.

10. "A very dissatisfying experience that I can never get back."

Former Employee - Lead Copy Center Associate in Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Copy Center Associate in Newport Beach, CA

Pros

Good place to gain office experience. It's an okay play to start at if you're looking to add something to the resume in the short-term.

Cons

Raises are practically non-existent. I've gotten better raises from McDonald's since they cap their raises at extremely percentages. They will ding you on your review, even for being sick for only half a day without any other incidents throughout the whole year. They do whatever they can to drop your review to 3 stars or less just to lower your pay increase, even if you are unanimously consider the "best" worker in your site. Usually you're stuck in your position, and if you did have the opportunity to change positions, the pay increase is less than $1 per hour.

Advice to Management

Be willing to pay for quality workers with degrees. So focusing on getting contracts at the lowest cost, and focus on quality instead. Just remember that quality will come at a higher cost. Hence why it is difficult to keep employees for longer than a year.

11. "Just say no."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Fellow workers are a pretty nice group.

Cons

Terrible management. Horrible pay. Raises are a joke.

Advice to Management

Get some decent management training--go to school. Understand that many of your employees do have a college degrees. Don't treat us like a group of ignorant children.