Williams Reviews | Glassdoor

Williams President and Chief Executive Officer Alan S. Armstrong
Alan S. Armstrong

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Getting to upper management limited (in 9 reviews)

• Activist shareholders are forcing a merger with Energy Transfer (in 8 reviews)

"Horrible time - Manager has no business being Manager. Office politics and back-stabbing rule. Avoid at all costs."

Current Employee - Land
    Current Employee - Land

I have been working at Williams full-time

Pros

None. Working here has been a waste of time.

Cons

One of the worst places I have worked. Professional development does not exist. Support does jot exist. Number one rule - follow office politics. Inefficient use of employees and resources. Employees treated horribly and not trusted. Offices disorganized and technically "in the dark ages". Number two rule - trust no one.

Advice to Management

Stop having non-qualified managers and supervisors acting as managers and supervisors.

"Disgusted"

Former Employee - Customer Support in Colton, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Support in Colton, CA

I worked at Williams full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Meet a few nice people

Cons

Very poor quality in management.

Advice to Management

Better follow through

"Welcome to the Boys Club"

Current Employee - Engineer III
    Current Employee - Engineer III

I have been working at Williams full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

On the outset Williams is a great company to work for. You can get hired easily if you know someone. Relatives, especially sons and daughters are automatic hires. Pay is average with the industry, benefits are good and the work is easy. You can get away with doing almost nothing for your entire career here and never get fired. I knew of several employees personally who were doing just that. It's a widespread issue throughout the company. (Type A personalities stay away!)

Cons

This place is 100 lawsuits waiting to happen. I couldn't believe the amount of immaturity, unprofessionalism and corruption I witnessed from upper management on a day-to-day basis. This company is run by a network of good ol boys, 50 plus in age who just won't retire and continue to take the company down a very negative path. They have successfully cultivated a crooked culture of looking the other way when something iffy happens and HR is powerless to do anything about it. Young employees are treated poorly. You are faced with the decision to put your head down and tough it out or quit. Diversity (or lack thereof) is still a real issue especially in the field where racial tensions are still an issue. Because Williams has become so incestuous (many engineers and employees are hired because of family/friend ties), that leaves about 10% of the employees doing 80% of the work.

Advice to Management

Retire. And let the few bright young employees you hired take your place. Stop making hiring and promoting decisions based on personal ties. Allow HR to do their job. Empower them. I worked here 4 years and not once did I meet my HR rep. They are just as scared as us employees to take any action.

"Horrible company plagued with politics and hypocrisy"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Williams full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I can't think of a single good thing. I would say benefits but the group that runs benefits are so deceitful and evil that it diminishes anything good

Cons

People are only looking out for themselves. It's a CYA company to the core. If you haven't been stabbed in the back yet, just stay a while. Your turn will come. It's unfortunate that a company could operate that way. Save yourself and do not try and work here.

Advice to Management

Lead

"Terrible"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Williams (More than a year)

Pros

There are some decent engineers.

Cons

Management is unethical and absent

Advice to Management

Show up to work guys

6. "Old company, antiquated ways"

Current Employee - Oklahoma in Elk City, OK
    Current Employee - Oklahoma in Elk City, OK

I have been working at Williams (More than a year)

Pros

If you want to come to work, do nothing innovative, nor be involved with new and advancing procedures or technologies and just want a paycheck for life, this is your place. But with the buyout destined to complete shortly, most of the company will be sold off, the culture will vanish with the upcoming layoffs and this review will cease to matter.

Cons

Pay is much lower than comparative oil and gas companies in the area. Bonuses are terribly below similar companies bonuses. Poor management with no accountability. Offices are deeply disconnected from one another. Culture between teams is terribly siloed with poor communication.

Advice to Management

Make teams accountable for failures. Implement lessons learned after project completion. Upgrade safety to all sites according to FERC regulations; cameras, communications, etc. Use technology in HR and company wide instead of pens and paper.

7. "Company Management"

Former Employee - Instrumentation and Electrical Technician II in Hondo, TX
    Former Employee - Instrumentation and Electrical Technician II in Hondo, TX

I worked at Williams (More than a year)

Pros

I am not there anymore.

Cons

Management in field support, especially in maintenance & reliability-is incompetent.

Advice to Management

I have given plenty but to no avail. They are as deaf as they are blind.

"Leased worker"

Former Employee - Contracts Leased Worker in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Contracts Leased Worker in Houston, TX

I worked at Williams full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most of the employees are nice. .

Cons

There are numerous employees that have been with Williams a very long time(20 years or more) and are resistant to change. There are several managers with significant insecurities and no educational other than their high school diploma. If you have more education and knowledge than your manager - this is not the right place for you.

Advice to Management

It would be a better place to work if management kept a closer eye on the managers as many managers come and go as they please.

"poor leadership, Confusion, Scapegoating"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

pay, location, co-workers were nice and professional

Cons

poor management, lack of direction, blame game

Advice to Management

Clean house get rid of the project excellence supervisor/manager

10. "Zero Trust, Pure Politics, and Hierarchical System,"

Current Employee - HRBP in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - HRBP in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Williams full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I wish I could think of one.

Cons

Every minute with this company has been miserable. There is no trust within HR. Everyone is out for themselves and people on your own team will throw you under the bus to save themselves any day. It's a culture where you constantly have to CYA. It's like kill or be killed. The majority of employees have been there for a significant amount of time and anyone new is seen to be inferior and a threat and it's impossible to break into the inner circle to even try and do your job effectively. It's unfortunate.

Advice to Management

They should really restructure and clean house starting with the VP and all of her direct reports. Then some of the other employees in the department wouldn't be afraid to be human and ask questions or make mistakes. There is no trust at the top, which trickles down to no trust within teams.