Williams-Sonoma Reviews | Glassdoor

Laura J. Alber

1,684 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Complete disregard for work-life balance;" (in 73 reviews)

• "Upper management can be sometimes out of touch with the needs of the ground staff" (in 87 reviews)

1. "Visual lead"

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time

Pros

Great atmosphere. Great culture.

Cons

None. Great place to work.

2. "William Sonoma"

I worked at Williams-Sonoma part-time

Pros

Pay hours opportunity to move up in company

Cons

Management environment co workers training

3. "Classic retail store with great products"

Former Employee - General Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great products, delicious foods, helpful and knowledgeable staff who are very loyal to the company and have high tenure. Good benefits overall and excellent employee discount.

Cons

Employees are not compensated well working for a premium brand and/or tenure.

Advice to Management

Williams Sonoma is a premium brand and employee should be paid a premium wage.
     Your employees should be compensated well above minimum wage and give the stores a higher payroll budget

4. "Poor management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Poor management. Not recognizing the employees for the work they have done

Cons

Not enough hours. Did not keep their promisses

Advice to Management

Be more consistent and on top of things.

5. "Sales Associate/Cashier"

I worked at Williams-Sonoma part-time

Pros

Amazing managers that looked out for you, a real lunch break, and a separate mandatory break during the day, the holiday season always gives out free peppermint bark and hot chocolate to snack on during the day.

Cons

Honestly, no cons besides racist people yelling at Black cashiers, but the actions of a patron don't always reflect the actual store.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"A lot of stressful training effort for very little reward"

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Columbus, OH

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

--40% discount on most merchandise
    --work from home available for some positions
    --pay is reasonable although not outstanding

Cons

--Time-consuming interview process and logistically difficult. Online application, online test, phone interview, background check/paperwork/drug test/I9 verification (no time paid for this and I drove 90 min round trip for the I9)
    --No scheduling flexibility. If you interview Tuesday, they will want you free for any possible FT training schedule starting the next Monday for three weeks. Missing any time at all can disqualify you.
    --Training is HORRIBLE and DIFFICULT. It takes two weeks of class time and one of supervised calls. It is mostly watching videos for 80+ hours on complex material with no practice or reinforcement. Many people flunked. You must master five + new programs in a short time. You are doing three weeks of training for maybe three months of work.
    --Your permanent schedule is assigned by corporate and cannot be changed or appealed for 90 days, so if it doesn't work, you are forced to decline the offer.
    --For work from home the computer and internet requirements are pretty high end and can require you to invest in equipment or services.
    --Very strict metrics of your time on the phone and customer satisfaction levels, you must remain over 95%.
    --Attendance policy is 10 pages and strict. Late time punches in the morning or from lunch can cause your firing by itself.

Advice to Management

Train your trainers better! Seasonal employee training is horrible, especially for work from home employees. Watching 80 hours of video with almost no practice or reinforcement is extremely difficult. It covered hundreds of scenarios, commands, and several computer programs. You want your employees to provide exemplary service with no experience. I was expected to take customer calls after two practice transfers and three practice orders and didn't even have all the phone numbers and codes that I needed. Frankly, I was so hopeless that I quit to take another job and I believe a lot of other people did the same, we started with 73 students and were down to 50 when I left. I wanted to cry every day and I have a Masters' Degree and extensive database experience, the training was that bad and hours were wasted every day just trying to herd people back to their computers after breaks and lunch.

Allow some flexibility in scheduling, maybe giving people two choices to pick from. Your assuming I'm so desperate for a job that I have no doctor appointments or personal commitments coming up for the next three months, and this is around Thanksgiving and Christmas! It's unreasonable and uncaring by making it clear that if I can't meet your first schedule offer you will just go to the next person.

7. "Great Culture and People!"

I worked at Williams-Sonoma (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed my time at the company, the team I was on was awesome! The culture was great, and having the Bay Cafe on the top floor with good food was a plus.

Cons

The pay isn't as good as some other companies.

"Seasonal Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Westbrook, CT
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Westbrook, CT

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I LOVED the people I worked with - they became like a second family to me, even though I was only there for <6 months.

Cons

I can't think of any!

"Seasonal Sales Associate"

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time

Pros

Lovely merchandise and friendly co-workers.

Cons

Unreliable hours/schedule so difficult to plan.

"Good experience, met a lot of great people"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Moved up quickly and great internal job posting

Cons

Promotions may only be temporary for the peak season. So you return to your previous job and salary .

Advice to Management

Please make changes to temp positions. Very difficult to stay motivated when you have to go back to the same position and downgrade your salary back to the previous position. Also, Change the shipping model for furniture so you can compete with others in the market. Not necessarily price reduction, but implement a different shipping model. Offer membership or one time shipping cost for the year . It would promote more returning customers.

Showing 1,684 of 1,767 reviews