Williams-Sonoma Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Williams-Sonoma President, CEO and Director Laura J. Alber
Laura J. Alber

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great discount 40% off of most merchandise 20%off electrics (in 175 reviews)

• decent work/life balance, depending on the time of year (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Tuff work life balance for entry-level employees (in 59 reviews)

• A lot of work, the pay doesn't cover how much the upper management requires of you (in 77 reviews)

1. "Performance Analyst"

Current Employee - Performance Analyst in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Performance Analyst in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company culture was very relaxed and friendly. Many individuals in their workforce are older, which was shockingly awesome! The departments have these delicious pot lucks where everyone tries to impress with their family recipes. The workload was mild. I loved my first manager. She was very relaxed and was impressed with my reporting skills every time she needed something. The company does a great job of making sure employees are adequately recognized. My next supervisor was a bit challenging because she was younger and wasn't as technically wired as I was, but she always came into work with a positive go-getter attitude! You also have the opportunity to move around a lot across many departments. You can work as a social media overseer, a workforce management analyst, or a speech analyst all within 3 years. The company is great about letting you explore your options and trying new things, they just lack on the compensation.

Cons

The pay was not up to par with industry standards. I was hired as a performance analyst (sometimes called a returns analyst) at $16.50 per hour. If I showed more confidence in my Excel skills in the initial interview and if I knew SQL then, I bet I could have gotten more money. The company will pay, but the director of finance is a bit cheap with his employees. Also, sometimes it takes too long to get promoted. Many people have worked there for 10+ years, so management has this attitude that you need to cut your teeth before you can progress to a supervisor level.

Advice to Management

Please pay your employees fair market value. Every year associates complain that the pay is too low. I would have liked to stay, but the money was better elsewhere.

"It's a fun company to work for to start a career!"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Alpharetta, GA

Pros

Great experience, fun atmosphere, great people. You will get a lot of experience that will help getting future jobs and it always looks nice on a resume

Cons

A lot of work, the pay doesn't cover how much the upper management requires of you. There is such much tedious work that needs to be allocated better.

3. "Continued Past Seasonal Position"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Williams-Sonoma part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Was there for a seasonal position and stayed on for another year. Great culinary atmosphere, great hands on chance to learn about the products and be "in-the-know" about the latest and greatest in cooking along with the classics. Had the chance to participate in demo cooking and baking. Nice discount.

Cons

Can be very high stress during the holidays when it is super busy. Didn't love to be on-call and not have a set schedule, but was able to accommodate it at the time.

Advice to Management

Sometimes it felt like corporate was out of touch with what it's really like at the individual stores, felt disconnected.

4. "Seasonal Customer Service Representative"

Former Employee - Seasonal Customer Service Representative in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Seasonal Customer Service Representative in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time

Pros

Benefits, choices of shifts, and work from home option.

Cons

Sometimes the work from home software is not working properly.

"Great compnay"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The discount is nice, the people you work with are great.

Cons

The job expectation doesn't match the pay. Frivolous spending on dumb thing.

Advice to Management

Allow corporate to give more control to stores on local level.

"Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Williams-Sonoma part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, wonderful people to work with on a regular basis, and learned new techniques, culinary do's and don'ts, and more on selling top of the line tools and cookware.

Cons

Not enough hours, and the location was not good as far as getting sales - the mall was always slow and the customers were not the demographic needed. Due to the lack of sales this store closed :( Lastly, I believe it would benefit sales associates to be trained while not working a shift and still be paid for training. It may be a cost corporate doesn't want to pay however this would bring much better knowledge to the sales floor and be more effective from the beginning. It would also give the sales associate more confidence prior to hitting the floor. There's a lot to know and then process with a sales mentality.

"sales associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

flexibility, employee discount, good management,

Cons

low pay, late hours, minimal hours

Advice to Management

listen to stores advice

"Good company, pay needs to be better"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home, benefits, time off

Cons

The pay and raises are not great

Advice to Management

Pay to keep us here. We are the ones doing the worst of the work while getting paid so low. The raises are not even barely worth it.

9. "Great company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good flexibility, great environment to work in, friendly people, managers actually care about success of their employees. There is no i in team type of mentality, you never feel like you are on your own, you always have full support.

Cons

Benefits could be better, some offices could use an upgrade and maybe some free snacks and drinks. It's a bummer to have paid vending machines. Merit increase isn't great but you take what you get. Promotions at times are way over due for those who deserve it.

Advice to Management

Please, keep caring and supporting your employees. Makes people perform better knowing we our managers have our back.

"company culture"

Current Employee - Head of Design in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Head of Design in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company with great support. Bonus is great.

Cons

Stress level can be high.

Advice to Management

slimline the communication and make less dramatic changes.

Showing 342 of 1,452 reviews