Williams-Sonoma Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1,502 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance needs improvement (in 65 reviews)

• Upper management needs an overhaul (in 83 reviews)

"Ok"

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time

Pros

Discount, staff, great product, good location

Cons

Overload
    Pay
    No work life balance

"Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Williams-Sonoma part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very nice people to work with.

Cons

Horrible pay, No training, No management organization, No potential for growth, and hire you as part time and work you as close to full time as possible but you will not receive any benefits. The discount rate has been cut again. We sell the products, you want us to be able to purchase them at a great discount, because the more we can buy the more we can sell them for you.

Advice to Management

Get a better pay rate. There is no reason someone should make $2.25 more than me an hour when I have 10 years of experience over them. Have a training system in place for the holiday season. Hire holiday before December, which means give them payroll to do so. Go back to being about Customer Service. Floor sets should never take priority over customer service and sales, you have seemed to forgot that. If floor sets are that important give the manager enough payroll to bring in enough people to do both. Allow more than 2 full time employees at a store, and also promote from within.

3. "Customer Service Representative"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Talking to different people everyday.

Cons

Not being to help everyone

Advice to Management

Just a little more knowledge of certain areas

"Work From Home Seasonal Full Service Associate"

Former Employee - Work From Home Seasonal Full Service Associate in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For the area I live in the pay is Ok

Cons

Training is broad spectrum and instructor: student ratio causes many questions and concerns to go unanswered. Getting a reply to an email from Human Resources or your direct report is nearly NON-Existent. Communication is about worst I have seen. You WORK and EARN every penny. Don't count on direct deposit, as the offer, but there was always a delay or excuse, then they may UPS or use USPS to deliver your check and you never know until literally the last minute. Sometimes they required a signature sometimes they didn't so best bet is to sit and wait or be close to home and sign up for UPS alerts. Onboarding leads you to believe the company will work with you to accommodate your schedule, INSTEAD dont even think about asking for lenience or a change instead be prepared to work the schedule they assign plus 1 of your off days with little to no notice (based on business needs they claim, but I am sure the analyst know well in advanced of the man power needed) and even though they offer an option called PRE PTO which means you can be off without it counting against you, you are not advised on how to sign up, and the notice is usually a few hours before available, so don't think about making plans. If you move depts. while working as I did BUYER BEWARE, I was MISINFORMED on so may levels, told wrong about training days and hours, and then go through training where you spend a lot of time day one going over the fluff so you think WOW this is great and not as intense as what you were doing and then BAM, your are saturated with manuals and brief touch and go on Major JOB functions, and the icing is being told you are gonna have a lot of time to practice in the "virtual" system, and THE FACT IS YOU GET 15 minutes and the bad part is, you sit IDLE for hours because they dont have enough SIGN ONS for the virtual training system, I made the mistake of genuinely and diplomatically making a suggestion and it was all down hill from there. Finally my contact letter is presented and upon going over my new pay, hours, etc...I am told "OH, no those hours arent a shift, you must be confused with Pacific and Eastern Std time, so I screen shot my schedule they sent me daily and told my report there is no confusion, its the only hours I discussed upon moving to the dept and how the hiring person would 100% remember because I WAS ECSTATIC to have the hours and days I needed.....But anyway, no bending no trying, no trying to see if they could find me somewhere else, Basically said YEP YOU WASTED YOUR TIME BECAUSE those hours are not gonna work, not to mention I may have still been able to work in my old dept, and the training was knowledge but I wouldn't have went through it just to not be able to apply any of it and I can say they have a point based attendance system that is pretty decent at first glance, then you see the reality, there is no human compassion, empathy, understanding, only that clock and those points, even if you are DOING A 5 STAR JOB~~~Oh and the 40% discount they advertise as a benefit to employees, get ready to access the shopping sites in their "Intraweb" and there is nothing straight and simple and forward to that neither. I really enjoyed what I did, it just took time to see all the inconsistency's unfold.

Advice to Management

TRANSPARENCY and SENSITIVITY TRAINING. CHECK YOUR EMAIL, COMMUNICATE WITH YOUR UNDERLINGS OTHER THAN WHEN THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH SOMETHING . INVEST IN MORE TRAINING~

5. "Manager"

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time

Pros

-Very engaged leadership team
    -Initiative driven to provide better work environment for employees

Cons

Nothing comes to mind

6. "WFH- Georgia"

Former Employee - Work From Home Customer Service Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Work From Home Customer Service Representative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work from home
    Good training
    Oppty for overtime

Cons

Paydate is not the date you will get paid
    WFH supervisors are rude
    Access to a live person including HR

Advice to Management

Pay people on the paydate
    Train your managers how to talk to people

"Part-time inconsistency"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Williams-Sonoma part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bright and cheery environment to work in. Fun products and people.

Cons

Scheduling was very last minute and inconsistent. Only managers were full time so if you were depending on a certain amount of income, you couldn't. Some weeks you were scheduled for 20 hours, some weeks only 10. Schedule would be posted only a couple days before the next week so no planning ahead for anything!

Advice to Management

Most of the employees are mothers with families and required to work during Christmas eve night, Christmas morning, and Easter Sunday. Why are all these stores open during theses holidays?!

8. "Sales Associate"

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time

Pros

Great place to work if you are foodie-minded.

Cons

Low pay but discount offsets that.

"Couldn't Get Off the Ground and Running"

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time

Pros

hiring process was quick
    training started out well
    no technical problems

Cons

not enough training
    HR and trainers are not responsive in a timely manner
    use of AS400

"Inventory Management"

Pros

Work life balance, discount, location, thats about it.

Cons

Total disaster, catty people, no one wants to help each other out. Super outdated systems.

Showing 1,502 of 1,575 reviews