Williams-Sonoma Reviews | Glassdoor

Williams-Sonoma Reviews

Updated November 12, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance needs improvement (in 63 reviews)

• A lot of work, the pay doesn't cover how much the upper management requires of you (in 81 reviews)

"Manager"

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time

Pros

Discount on all brands of the company was good

Cons

low salary, poor treatment of staff

Advice to Management

Treat your staff better

"Don't join this company"

I worked at Williams-Sonoma (More than 5 years)

Pros

I joined because it was my first job and I needed money they gave me a shot in the call center and at the time the used to work with your schedule.

Cons

The company is going down hill product quality wise and with the way they treat employees has nose dived, they treat call center employees as well as toothless crackheads.

Advice to Management

Treat employees fairly, but unless the CEO and some top managers are released I don't see that coming anytime soon!if I could give 0 stars I would, they aren't who they were when founded I was there for 6 years and saw the crap roll down hill. The CEO would visit stores but never once came to see us and we were in her state

"RUN AWAY"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntington Station, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntington Station, NY

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time (More than a year)

Pros

co-workers, we are all in the same boat in this sinking ship

Cons

Hostile work environment,. The negativity is so bad . Everyone quitting, hating their jobs. Gossiping, backstabbing, bullying. Cliques that are threatening and management doesn't want to hear it. Like all bullies the victims are blamed.Everyone fears they are going to lose their jobs.No one feels valued.

Advice to Management

listen to your employees have a way for your field employees provide feedback, without retaliation which is a common thing

"All Downhill"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great discounts
    Opportunities to learn culinary skills

Cons

The retail industry is dying and Williams-Sonoma is charging toward the grave. The declining demand for our products coupled with too many alternative purchase options have caused once loyal customers to leave us. Corporates reaction is to force us to attempt to solicit our customers via cold calling and credit card offers. Cost cutting has become the name of the game. Employees have been consistently toyed with as a result of corporate indecision and we have been threatened with firing and reduced hours if we don't work off the clock to finish our assigned duties which there are more of everyday.

Advice to Management

Employ a few full timers and managers as opposed to excessive numbers of part timers. pay attention to what customers actually want stop guessing at it.

5. "Sales Associate"

I worked at Williams-Sonoma part-time

Pros

the discount was very nice

Cons

scheduling, poor management, low wages

"Racist and trashy"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are good! You work with nice associates for the most part. Good discounts and outstanding merchandise. You represent Pottery Barn and West Elm as well as Mark&Graham.

Cons

There are no opportunities to move up and very low pay. If you are a minority, they want to keep you in customer service or working in a warehouse. No minorities in leadership positions in the state that I work in. Leadership has the "good ol boy" mentality and lots of favoritism. Supervisors are lazy! They gossip about associates. Very unprofessional place to work. The training is horrible and they have very unrealistic standards to judge you on. The pay raises are a joke!

Advice to Management

You have misrepresented a great company.

"Don't stay long"

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time

Pros

Great discount 40% of there and their sister brands

Cons

Good stepping stone for retail experience but don't stay long. Work life balance is awful. There is no rhyme or reason to pay raises. Try seem to keep associates and managers that are subpar and run away good ones. Their expectations for both associates and management are unrealistic for the amount they pay.

"The Walmart Factor at Williams-Sonoma"

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time

Pros

Employee Discount is 40% for most items.

Cons

The list is long. Only management is scheduled to work 40 hours per week. Sales associates are part time only and pay hovers barely above minimum wage. For a store catering to the upper economic brackets the staff is treated as if they are Walmart associates. No other benefits. Serious disconnect between management and what is needed to make the stores successful. Nothing done to motivate sale associates except pressure them. Employees do not receive commission of benefits so there is no true incentive. Communication is poor and mainly for cya purposes. Senior management's disdain for the sales associates is palpable. Chuck must be rolling in his grave.

Advice to Management

Engage with the sales associates in meaningful ways by getting their feedback on merchandise, systems and empowering them. Despite all the signs posting "Howard's Rules" the work environment is not particularly respectful. Invest in IT systems that work well, everything is outdated. Get over loss prevention systems sending the wrong message. The stores are being robbed blind due to chronic understaffing. There are discreet loss prevention systems available in today's world. Try the concept of promoting from within. Try offering a true living wage and offering real benefits to the people on the front line. Many stores are lacking full time stock people so lots of ladder climbing on some pretty rickety ladders by sales associates.

"Employees are only numbers. Awful morale. Dead End"

Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser
    Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discount on Williams Sonoma, Pottery Barn and West Elm.
    Great coworkers.

Cons

No room for growth. Management that is completely touch of touch and have no desire to provide a heathy work/personal life balance, The business comes first but no incentives that are worthwhile. Extremely high turn over.

Advice to Management

Realize that your employees are your strongest assets not the same tired product lines that barely surviving.

"Run... Far, far away"

Former Employee - Information Technology in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Information Technology in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None. Aside from meeting a handful (as in you can literally count them in several fingers) of quality folks who were innocently caught up in this web of lies or bureaucratic nonsense, there is zero advantage for working here. This place will not make you smarter. You will not learn a skill that you didn't have beforehand. Instead the brick and mortar will kill your very soul. You will start to wonder if there is a God or a higher power. Because if such an entity existed, why would They allow this atrocity to even occur much less continue.

Cons

This archaic institution is a farce of a legacy. WSI normally draws to mind high end kitchen cutlery and savvy home decor. Peel away a well paved marketing campaign and you find the scurge of retail. There is "somewhat behind" and then there is Williams-Sonoma...

You know something is wrong when EVERY TIME someone quits, they NEVER let you know WHERE they are going.

It's basically a hodgepodge of problems. The work load is uneven. You're either working 24/7 or you're not working at all and trying to take credit for someone else's work. For every ineffective 20 lukewarm bodies, you have one star employee. Management is composed of semi-retirees. Executives are even worse. They are just highly paid sheep.

This is the most political environment and in the worst way. If you are "favored", you can bat your eyelashes and work the system to your advantage (translation: "work from home" and AS MANY VACATION DAYS YOU WANT). If you are "unfavored", well remember that guy who recently committed suicide in Uber (from stress)? You are on the same trajectory.

You will learn nothing here, except marvel how cheap Corporate America can be. How such an unhealthy environment exists. And dream of leaving.

There is a reason why everyone in the corporate office looks like life has been sucked out of them and they're a hair-breath away from dropping dead.

Advice to Management

Fire all the executives and management. They've done and accomplished nothing. Start fresh. Stick to your budgets and your schedules. It's pointless to have a plan if you're not going to adhere to it. And get rid of useless practices - example: offshore has a 60-70% accuracy rate. Why on earth do you even use them KNOWING THIS?!

Showing 255 of 1,544 reviews