Williams-Sonoma Reviews | Glassdoor

Williams-Sonoma Reviews

Updated February 17, 2017

Pros
  • Great discount 40% off of most merchandise 20%off electrics (in 176 reviews)

• decent work/life balance, depending on the time of year (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Tuff work life balance for entry-level employees (in 57 reviews)

• Poor upper management provide no direction or continually turn the ship around into another direction (in 74 reviews)

"Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Metairie, LA
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Metairie, LA

I worked at Williams-Sonoma (More than 8 years)

Pros

The best reasons to work at Williams-Sonoma are the fabulous customers and some of the most dedicated part-time sales associates. Some of the best friends are made on the sales floor both with customers and associates alike.

Cons

Way too much back stabbing by General Managers, Regional Managers, etc. No product training or sales training. Poor to nonexistent in-store software and delivery systems. Constant change in visuals with absolutely no help and often times there is a member of the management team and only one sales associate. Unable to make a decision whether to be an internet company or a brick and mortar store. Managers and Assistant Managers are overworked, put on the spot, lie to sales associates, cut each other up and then spit you out. Awful environment for a culture that appears to be in perfect order when all the while it is full of band-aids that are hanging on by the least amount of adhesive.

Advice to Management

Jump down from your Ivory Tower and LISTEN to employees without intimidating them. Something is horribly broken and it needs to be fixed - maybe too late to fix this store.

"Customer Service"

Former Employee - Business Sales Representative in North Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Business Sales Representative in North Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Williams-Sonoma (More than a year)

Pros

A Paycheck is the only thing you will get here and check it everytime.

Cons

There is such wide scale fear imposed in this place that if you are a former employee, you would never recommend this job to anyone you care about. Run as fast and as far as you can from this company.

Advice to Management

Remember how to be honest and human

"sales associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lynnfield, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lynnfield, MA

I worked at Williams-Sonoma (Less than a year)

Pros

none,unfriendly employees,unprofessional supervisors.poor scheduling. pay is not on time.

Cons

anything negative that u could think of represents this company.

Advice to Management

Get your act together,and be truthful!

"Machine Operator"

Former Employee - Operator-Trainer in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Operator-Trainer in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Has Good start pay, and full time has a lot of benefits.will train you if you don't already know how to operate the machine.

Cons

Have to be there at 5 or 6am. Management has no idea what your taking about because they are not required to know how to even turn on the machine let alone the problems that come up with printing and mistakes the machines make sometimes, als they don't listen to you even when you know more than they do!

Advice to Management

Learn the whole part about your job including take ca course on operating the machines and actually run them and do orders on them for 3 weeks so you will understand what your employees are talking about

"Sales Associate"

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time

Pros

Great discount and great coworkers

Cons

You have to clean toilets!!! After being on your feet for hours, you have to clean. Wash dishes, swiffer and sweep entire store, empty trash and take to dumpster, clean toilets!! Not one mention in interview. No rotation so same people are stuck doing it at closing. Very unsafe in stock room. Too much stock on floors, can't open ladders safely

Advice to Management

Hire a cleaning crew! Inform new hires the entire job description. They don't do that because nobody will take the job.

"Work for the Discount"

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time

Pros

Decent Discount, beautiful environment, location

Cons

long - term associates who are abrasive and poach sales from other associates

Advice to Management

Do your best. Retail is tough.

"Great discount...horrible management and work from home support"

Current Employee - Work From Home Customer Service Representative (OH) in Kettering, OH

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time

Pros

The discount is quite generous and you can use it at all brands under the W-S umbrella. The technology they use for working from home is pretty good and I almost never have issues.

Cons

Working from home is like being on your own. There is no support from supervisors and it's a chore just to get help with a simple question while helping customers. I have little to no contact with my supervisor and she acts annoyed when I reach out to her.

Advice to Management

Please provide more support and help for work from home associates. The supervisors seem overwhelmed and the associates responsible for providing helping are usually rude to me (their internal customer). A lot of the business processes should be reviewed for improvement because we do not put the customer first.

"General Manager"

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Not many good things to say about the current WS. The top down leadership is terrible. The CEO is not well respected in the stores, nor are her monkeys she has out on secret jet trips. Leading by fear doesn't make us want to do good.
    The discount is nice, but can't buy electrics. We are forced to buy electrics at SLT and BBB.

Cons

As I said, the leadership from the very top down to the DM level is awful. The DM is afraid of the RM, who lives in SoCal. Always on edge "they" might pop visit your store. And when they do, watch out the monkeys are on the loose. Your never going to have a good corporate visit, they will slay you for anything.
    Signage is a cluster mess, we throw most of it away as it never gets used. The amount of food that is wasted is sinful, yet we support No Kid Hungry. Tech Class/ daily demos/ throw something in the oven to make it smell good.
    Floor sets- the worst part of the job. No payroll, no visual hours. As a GM we are working 50+ hours a week to try and make payroll.
    The stockroom is an accident waiting to happen daily. The amount of product is terrible. The assortment is so messed up, most all of the product is coming from China. Not the foundation Chuck started. The customers comment on this a lot.

Advice to Management

Show some respect to the people out in the stores. The DM doesn't know the staff, he sits in the office all day. Why send a visual team scrambling to So Cal a week before the plane full of monkeys flys? That's not be realistic, let them see the state of a real store. The jet trips are so demoralizing, they say they are coming, you prepare for a week to impress, they don't show up, my team has been let down more often than not. Or they do show up in workout clothes and sneakers.
    Once Chuck passed they pulled out all the stops and values he and Howard built. The CEO should be ashamed of herself.( In the field she is known as Ice Princess).
    Take a look at the people in the field working hard everyday for a Brand that once was awesome. We care, we wish you at the top understood and actually you would if you had ever worked a real week in the stores.

"Really not a good company"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Williams-Sonoma as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

This is from the IT side - the architects are amazing...

Cons

Some of the Group PDMs are a complete nightmare. Their eCom dept is a complete joke.

Advice to Management

Find true leaders. See what substance your upper management brings to the table. If everyone leaves, there is obviously a problem.

"What a mess!"

Pros

Great discount IF you are a direct employee, none for contractors

Cons

I worked in the IT department as a contract employee. There are no benefi.ts offered to contractors, which is typical. This is not a good job for someone who has a family and day care is a consideration. They are very unaccommodating with scheduling needs. If you are a direct employee, it seems to be the norm to call in on a weekly basis. If you are a contractor, you had better not call in at all or you will probably be released from your contract. Mine was released after calling in twice in a 4 month time span.

If your are trying to get experience in the IT industry, this may not be the best place to do it. Yes, you learn a lot. But the IT department is ultra compartmentalized and you wont learn much outside of the break/fix retail stuff. Don't expect anyone in management to offer to help. You have to be dependent upon your coworkers to answer virtually anything, and asking your supervisor, even after only being there a couple weeks, will likely lead to a sideways look and sarcastic comment.

The IT department outside of the store support team tends to roll out updates that break pretty much everything in the company weekly or even semi weekly. There appears to be zero accountability among the other IT departments and NOBODY is learning from their mistakes. As a result, the call queue is slammed and wait times for the stores is generally 10 minutes or more.

I feel particularly bad for the stores. Customers are being double charged, having to wait to get their transactions processed, losing their wedding registries, etc. The hardware is to blame, the stores are using very old computers, we are talking 2002 stuff. Multiple stores have told me that they call in on average of 2-5 times a DAY to have us fix their systems.

Advice to Management

WS is a multi billion dollar company, invest in new computers. Finance them if you must, stores and customers are at the tipping point, and I have personally heard from multiple store managers who said they were looking for a new job as a result of the hardware issues that they deal with daily.

Get your IT department under control, the issue from my perspective is that you are hiring low level IT contractors in the engineering level departments when you should be hiring degree holding programmers and network engineers.

Showing 223 of 1,341 reviews