Williams-Sonoma Reviews | Glassdoor

Williams-Sonoma Reviews

Updated May 19, 2017

Pros
Cons
  • Tuff work life balance for entry-level employees (in 58 reviews)

• Poor upper management provide no direction or continually turn the ship around into another direction (in 75 reviews)

1. "Marketing Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Williams-Sonoma as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is extremely nice and willing to help!
    I learned a lot about retail marketing during my summer with the company.
    The internship program is well-organized. We were each given a booklet on the first day that included a summer intern calendar and the projects we would take on in our respective departments.
    I was able to start and finish about 3 or 4 larger projects. I've already benefited from using these tangible examples of my work while applying for other jobs.
    The interns also attended 'classes' every (other) week for the first half of the internship.
    Plus, the interns were able to meet with Laura, the CEO, and ask questions/give feedback first-hand!

Cons

There didn't seem to be much of a company culture at WSI. It is definitely a little more 'old school' corporate than other SF-based HQs.
    While my team was very nice to work with, it was a little small and very quiet! (Although the small size did allow me to take on more substantial projects than interns on other teams -- which was a huge plus!)

"The discount is great but the job is OK. Not really any room for advancement so it's a great part time /seasonal job"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fresno, CA

I worked at Williams-Sonoma part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Discount is 20 for electronic and 40 for anything else and how flexible the manager is the of schedule

Cons

Not really much hours after the holidays but makes sense because of how meny people they hire during the holidays

"Variety is the Spice of life!"

Former Employee - Senior Lead Associate Furniture Trained in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Lead Associate Furniture Trained in Houston, TX

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Plenty of change within a steady work flow. Gives you atonamity [to a point] with doing what's "right" for the customer.

Cons

Information is hard to find quickly to answer customer concerns, and with several brands to navigate this can be frustrating. To much info to know it all... needs revamping plus there are many variations/interpretations to policy. Need a different answer ask a different supervisor.

Advice to Management

be a little more flexible and tolerant

"Marekting Manager"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent products. Decent processes and interest in company efficiency.

Cons

Heavy top-down management style; executives difficult to work with.

Advice to Management

Show an interest in others' career development.

"The Company Functions Like it Has a Split Personality"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Williams-Sonoma (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic customers.
    Experienced employees some of the sharpest, most helpful and nicest I've ever known.
    Much talk about being empowered to make decisions and provide best customer service
    Quality products, with mandate to never lie to the customer or misrepresent anything in order to get a sale
    Despite all the cons below, loved working here.

Cons

The worst training program ever. Just one person in my class felt prepared to do the work.
    Supervisors, middle management always seem overwhelmed.
    For a company of this size and age it doesn't have the feel of stability.
    A good percentage of the customers calling were upset with errors on the company's part that were not corrected over a period of months.
    In my case, as a result of poor management, HR actually stepped over federal law requirements
    All in all this gave me a definite sense there are serious concerns about the financial health of the company

Advice to Management

Sad to see a company with such superior bones consistently shoot themselves in the foot. Replacing the existing antiquated software - not just adding a new interface - would go a long way to saving time and money long term. Getting the online training course implemented with ongoing videos enabling all to be on the same page would also save time and money in my humble opinion. Expanding work from home would save the company big dollars, but the program needs better structure and implementation. Clock is ticking, but there's still time to put this company back on the right track - some strong leadership is needed.

"Not what it used to be"

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The employee discount is a main factor of my continued loyalty to the company. Love having a part time sit down job and the people I work with are great.

Cons

Inadequate training. Loss of benefits in past few years. Pay scale is dismal compared to stress that you experience due to the company's failure to solve their warehouse and inventory issues. They say they place customers first but with their failure to correct the same issues they have had for the past 6 years I really think it's just rhetoric. It's been hard to see the company devalue its employees over the past 5 years since the CEO changed. Issues with online site, coupons, out of date operating systems and poor equipment.

Advice to Management

Better communication is needed. Employees need to be informed of company issues and changes in order to be supportive and informed. Actually act on recommendations we bring to our supervisors that correct computer and coupon issues which will both make our jobs better and the customers better served. Find a way to make us feel valued again as we have lost that feeling in the past few years.

"Assistant Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people that you work with. Great discount. Support work life balance.

Cons

No upward mobility, or career growth. Considered an hourly employee, as a manager should be a salary position. Compensation is below standards, and not open for substantial increase, if any. Management is inconsistent, corporate directives could be more clear and efficient. Payroll is limited.

Advice to Management

Invest more in employee compensation, career growth, and additional payroll to execute any tasks that are not considered part of daily operations.

"Layout Designer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Williams-Sonoma (More than a year)

Pros

The hours are flexible and can sometimes be accommodated as per wishes.

Cons

The staff is a little undervalued by upper-management.

Advice to Management

Treat employees with more respect and value their work more.

"There is almost too much to learn within the 4wks of training they provide."

Current Employee - Work From Home Customer Service Representative - Seasonal in Braselton, GA

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Discount, Learn new things constantly, fast paced when busy, nice product line across William-Sonoma, all the Pottery Barns and West Elm.

Cons

Not enough supervisor support when need to ask a question, constant issues with promo codes, sales can be misleading to customers and inflexible attendance policy even with a doctor's excuse!

Advice to Management

Provide more training and information on current sales. Make it easier to follow up on a customer order. Train more furniture associates or train FSA's on furniture. There is a constant flow of issues and concerns regarding furniture and one call resolution would be easier with this access.

"Working in Management in Retail Channel"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at Williams-Sonoma part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discount, Play with product, culinary social circles, expand business skills.

Cons

Terrible management style, non-sustainable business practices, changing vision of company name, lack of support for employees, little to no training, terrible HR department.

Advice to Management

Not everything is about the 2%.

Showing 366 of 1,412 reviews