Williams-Sonoma Reviews | Glassdoor

Williams-Sonoma Reviews

Updated April 27, 2017

Pros
Cons
  • Tuff work life balance for entry-level employees (in 57 reviews)

• Poor upper management provide no direction or continually turn the ship around into another direction (in 75 reviews)

"Delusional leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people who actually do the work are amazing. The benefits are average at best and the discount is ok if you have a ton of money to spend

Cons

IT leadership needs an overhaul. Very bloated at the top and they don't seem to care when good people leave. Most of the time they seem to be throwing the good people out the door like garbage. Someone needs to toss a few of them out!

Advice to Management

CEO needs to clean out the real garbage if the company is going to survive and stop letting the lousy (IT) leadership be around to continue to sink the already sinking ship!!! Take a good close look and you'll see who the major offenders are.

"Behind the times"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Henderson, NV
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Henderson, NV

I worked at Williams-Sonoma (Less than a year)

Pros

There are not a whole lot of reasons to work for Williams-Sonoma other than the discount and the co-workers. One of the few bright spots is the guest chef program that brings in chefs from all over the place to demo products and recipes for customers. The hours aren't bad and the music is fun.

Cons

Behind the time POS is the biggest issue. Other older companies have realized the year and updated their systems accordingly, not WS though. They expect 5 star work while giving you -1 star equipment to use, a non liveable wage, 4 hours a week, and extremly high demands.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Put some of that undeserved bonus money/salary into the stores instead of your pockets. If that was done along with proper wages and expectations you wouldn't have to close some locations and would keep your employees happy.

"sales associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

discount across the brands - west elm + pottery barn.

Cons

I work part time and have one of the highest SPH in the store. It means nothing. There is so much pressure to sell for zero incentive, unless you consider 15 hours a week for minimum wage an incentive? What is being said here is 100% accurate. The stores are run by over-worked managers who are being pressured to deliver results that are not achievable based on the workload that changes every day. I've been with the company for less than a year, and I will be leaving soon, because it is one of the most disorganized, out-of-date selling environments. I like the product and my co-workers. It's the lack of kindness and compassion that will drive me away.

Advice to Management

Make unannounced visits to stores and see what's really going on.

"Work From Home Customer Service"

Former Contractor - Customer Service Representative in Gahanna, OH
    Former Contractor - Customer Service Representative in Gahanna, OH

I worked at Williams-Sonoma as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

You can work from the comfort of your home.

Cons

There is nothing good that I can say about this company. The pay is low and for a well known multi million dollar company you would think they would take better care of their associates. The management doesn't care the training was adequate however the system they use is the original green screen program that the dinosaurs used...again for being such a huge company they could upgrade to a more user friendly system. I was a seasonal worker and quite frankly I would not have accepted a permanent full-time position if they offered. It was a huge disappointment

Advice to Management

Treat your associates like you care and make them feel appreciated. Upgrade your system to something more current and user friendly.

"Worst place ever"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

40% discount on over priced stuff

Cons

Management says they care, but they never spend time with you. You never get a monthly review, they had you paperwork and say sign it, but you never know what you are signing. You get zero guidance once you are on the floor. The only good Supervisors we had were the seasonal ones. of course they let them go and kept the old stuck in their ways ones.

Advice to Management

Check with the reps and ask them if they have really had a monthly review. Have we had any guidance or were we just told to "improve" Check with us, we will tell you.

"Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Franklin, TN
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Franklin, TN

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Co-workers, most customers, discount on many lovely items.

Cons

The 10.26 starting range you see is not accurate. Very THICK line between sales associates and the rest of the company. Daily threats of firing if your sales are not a certain number causing a very competitive atmosphere especially when customers ask two or three different associates to help them as they walk through the store.

Advice to Management

Look at your employees and believe in them. Promote from within. Give employees who have been loyal to you a chance.

"gone down hill and still rolling"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (More than a year)

Pros

there's no good reason to put yourself through such bs in a place like this. No one there cares about anything except themselves

Cons

the hierarchy alone is enough to send a sound, reasonable person screaming. its lead by entitlement and fear, abuse the best people until they leave or are forced out. witnessed for myself first hand with my former boss and how badly they were treated.

Advice to Management

please leave so that williams sonoma can be great again. take all of the wanna be's with you.

"The WORST Company Treats Employees Bad"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

Pros

The Customers are really the only pros

Cons

Everything. Extremely bad company morale they treat their employees bad there are no benefits no perks they pay below average close to minimum and work you to death and there are no perks if you do a good job it does not matter you are not told you are to work work work it's close to being in a Chinese sweat Factory

Advice to Management

Have a heart really is it worth selling your soul to work for such a ruthless company and treat employees so bad?

"Traditional slow moving and Inflexible"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1> Friendly coworkers (depends on your group)
    2> touristy office location near Pier 39
    3> discounts on merchandise.

Cons

1>Technology that people work with is seriously outdated. They do not even have a decent conference meet application that works.
    2> Management tries to time and again dictate policies such as Work From Home, Hours you need to be in (which makes you feel like you are in school).
    3> Very few of the projects in the pipeline see the light of day. If they do its after at least twice or three times the length of time than originally planned.
    4> There are a lot of people who have worked for a decade or more in the company and are too unwilling to adapt to change, new ideas, new technologies. They are just happy to chug away into their Excel sheets!

"Company died with Chuck"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Littleton, CO
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Littleton, CO

Pros

outstanding teams. formerly great values.

Cons

Corporate has totally lost sight of it's identity, and the stores are inundated with sub-par products with outrageous pricetags. "Quality" is no longer a value of the company, either in product, or service, and has been tossed aside for the bottom line. in addition, there is virtually no upward mobility, and the company at large seems to be reluctant to hire anyone from within the company.

Advice to Management

Value your people. you have loyal employees who know the product and industry inside and out and you're tossing them aside with your knee-jerk reactions, and insistence to do "more" with "less" without compensating, rewarding, or even acknowledging your teams.

Showing 230 of 1,388 reviews