Williams-Sonoma Reviews | Glassdoor

Williams-Sonoma Reviews

Updated February 17, 2017

Pros
  • Great discount 40% off of most merchandise 20%off electrics (in 176 reviews)

• decent work/life balance, depending on the time of year (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Tuff work life balance for entry-level employees (in 57 reviews)

• Poor upper management provide no direction or continually turn the ship around into another direction (in 74 reviews)

"Worst place ever"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

40% discount on over priced stuff

Cons

Management says they care, but they never spend time with you. You never get a monthly review, they had you paperwork and say sign it, but you never know what you are signing. You get zero guidance once you are on the floor. The only good Supervisors we had were the seasonal ones. of course they let them go and kept the old stuck in their ways ones.

Advice to Management

Check with the reps and ask them if they have really had a monthly review. Have we had any guidance or were we just told to "improve" Check with us, we will tell you.

"Poor training, poor scheduling and dismal computer system"

Pros

Associate discounts and nothing else comes to my mind.

Cons

Everything else. There is no clarity, sense, communication between Corporate and stores. People are overworked, tired, left with unreasonable expectations and not equipped or trained for the job. The company is a constant "state of hire" as people are constantly leaving. Stock rooms are dirty, dangerous. I would never eat anything from there.

Advice to Management

Wake up

"Great at store level - question corporate choices"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time

Pros

Great product
    Wonderful associates and store-level management
    Great customers

Cons

No clear path for professional growth.
    Corporate appears to have little interest in their retail staff.

Advice to Management

Listen to and value your people in the store - they are the backbone of your business!

"Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Franklin, TN
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Franklin, TN

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Co-workers, most customers, discount on many lovely items.

Cons

The 10.26 starting range you see is not accurate. Very THICK line between sales associates and the rest of the company. Daily threats of firing if your sales are not a certain number causing a very competitive atmosphere especially when customers ask two or three different associates to help them as they walk through the store.

Advice to Management

Look at your employees and believe in them. Promote from within. Give employees who have been loyal to you a chance.

"gone down hill and still rolling"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (More than a year)

Pros

there's no good reason to put yourself through such bs in a place like this. No one there cares about anything except themselves

Cons

the hierarchy alone is enough to send a sound, reasonable person screaming. its lead by entitlement and fear, abuse the best people until they leave or are forced out. witnessed for myself first hand with my former boss and how badly they were treated.

Advice to Management

please leave so that williams sonoma can be great again. take all of the wanna be's with you.

"Not worth it"

Pros

Flexible hours. Working with an incredibly talented, diverse staff. Learning an abundance of culinary expertise while getting a good employee discount.

Cons

The company has chosen profit over investing in its employees. In light of the retail sales downturn, minimum wage associates are getting exhausted and valuable managers have been let go. Corporate expectations are severe and constant. Training is nonexistent. Incentives for exceeding company expectations are negligible product prizes, rather than substantive pay raises. Morale is low, as employees feel constantly pressed to make impractical sales goals. Illness, injury, and personal bereavement are not given due consideration. Very high turnover. Bureaucratic and outdated management approaches.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and increase pay. Make improvements from the ground up, not from the top down.

"Negative environment to work in"

I worked at Williams-Sonoma (Less than a year)

Pros

A very fast paced enviroment with great co-workers. Wonderful discount on quality product and I learned a lot about the industry

Cons

Unrealistic intense expectations from upper management to the field. So extremely micro-managed it creates a very negative atmosphere! High turnover

Advice to Management

Let the people you pay, do thier job to run the store!

"The WORST Company Treats Employees Bad"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

Pros

The Customers are really the only pros

Cons

Everything. Extremely bad company morale they treat their employees bad there are no benefits no perks they pay below average close to minimum and work you to death and there are no perks if you do a good job it does not matter you are not told you are to work work work it's close to being in a Chinese sweat Factory

Advice to Management

Have a heart really is it worth selling your soul to work for such a ruthless company and treat employees so bad?

"Run as fast as you can for this Company"

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people Who genuinely have the best interest of the store at heart. Discount is wonderful.

Cons

Management ruled by fear. If we did not make the day there was the next days email that would demand why we couldn't make it or if we didn't make it why we couldn't have done better. Sales people are threatened with lower hours if they don't make a designated sales goal. But they are also made to do visual set ups, stocking the floor, sampling food and stock. Morale is very very low. Employees have not been given raises into to three years, even if they were a great employee we still could not give them a raise because it was all about the store metrics. We had sales associates that have been there 10+ years still making less than nine dollars an hour.

Advice to Management

Really read what Howard and Chuck wrote. It is about people first and what they meant was treat your people well and they will give the best they can to the company.

"Worst experience"

Pros

Being able to work from home, and days off.

Cons

Management and supervisors suck when asking for any type of help.

Advice to Management

After getting hired, the training process was unbelievably ridiculous. Half the time our trainers were switched out and began going over different things we weren't familiar with yet. At the last week of training they just threw us on the phones and left the room. even if we weren't comfortable handling calls yet or unclear of some procedures . And more than half of the calls are escalations! It was a very rough week for the whole class we were constantly placing customers on hold to ask for help which made the customers more upset. Customers were asking us to do a TON of things that we didn't go through in training so had to again put the customer on hold to look over our handbooks. It was so frustrating.
    I was hired as work from home so in order to get your log ins set up to work from home, you have to complete 6 weeks training first , then your trainers created your log ins. Well mine took almost 12 weeks! I was having to work in the call center a month and a half after getting out of training and my trainers and supervisor who I was telling, were doing nothing about it. I had to go to my department manager and let her know that I was supposed to be working from home over a month ago. So she got it handled and handed me my log ins within 2 days!
    Being set up to work from home is even worse than the training. The help desk contact people are just rude and clueless. Think that resetting your computers over and over again fixes the issues.. Their systems go soooo slow, it overall took me 4 hours to get set up the first day and I encountered MANY system problems throughout my whole 10 months working there.
    One thing I could not understand was why during training they didn't go over ANYTHING about how to handle escalated calls. And 80% of our calls are escalations and our supervisors or leads were hardly any help at all. And literally all calls were all the same issues(where is my order, or I didn't receive notification my order canceled out by itself I thought it was still coming , or damage to an item wants a replacement, which Williams Sonoma has so many requirements to get a replacement) literally every call. Idk why that isn't something they go over how to handle in training.
    If you enjoy being yelled at for an item that hasn't been delivered yet and you have no resources to help, then this is a great job for you. All supervisor requests have to get a callback. Their IM system for us to speak with our supervisors and leads while we're on calls with customers, don't get a response until 15 minutes later. It's just overall horrible. I also worked during their "peak season" which is holiday(thanksgiving and Christmas)and I swear to god it was the worst retail experience of my life. No ones items were showing up on time and the company just had us straight out lie to the customers telling them they're item will be delivered the day before Christmas when we knew it wasn't true. Peoples turkeys for thanksgiving got lost so family dinners were ruined. And the worst part is none of it is our fault as customer service reps but we get all the blame and then we're not even trained how to properly handle those situations when they happen. We just literally have to apologize and give compensation. The help were supposed to be getting from supervisors and team leads is horrible.
    Also not to mention in my time working there I was switched through 7 different supervisors, I never got a chance to build a relationship with my team or supervisor because the next time I went in for a meeting I was on a whole new team! The job is work at home but you're in the call center most of the time due to meetings nearly every week or system failure issues.
    Be prepared to have a sucky experience working here because management SUCKS. The perks I loved was working from home since I'm a single mom but this job was horrible it wasn't even worth it anymore. I was miserable knowing I was about to get on the phone and be yelled at 95% of my shift. It's different if we could actually do something to help but our resources are so limited and Williams Sonoma just tells us to take the blame, apologize, and give free gift cards!
    Smh. The worst experience ever.

Showing 223 of 1,344 reviews