Williams-Sonoma Reviews | Glassdoor

Williams-Sonoma Reviews

Updated June 15, 2017

Pros
Cons
  • Tuff work life balance for entry-level employees (in 58 reviews)

• Poor upper management provide no direction or continually turn the ship around into another direction (in 76 reviews)

"Supervisor in Operations"

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Olive Branch, MS
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Olive Branch, MS

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma (More than a year)

Pros

Peak season you can get over time

Cons

Company falsify a lot. Do not pay employees correctly. All GMs are white males. Claim we need a degree for lead but hired a 22 year old kid as a lead with NO college degree. Lots of unfair practices that the EEOC should check into. Only give to small breaks within a 12 hour shift. Tax scandal, etc...

Advice to Management

COMPLETELY UNORGANIZED! Stop lying to employees. Treat your BLACK counter parts with equal rights, If you hire an educated black lead again, do not play games to make her drive a forklift. Stop being bigots! Stop hiding products in trailers the IRS will catch you soon...

"Corporate Sheep Never Sleep"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Career opportunity advancement due to high turn-over rate

Cons

Overworked with no employee incentives. Long hours so work/life balance is terrible.

"Mangers Review of the Store"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Short Pump, VA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Short Pump, VA

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time

Pros

Associates are wonderful to work with, great clients.

Cons

New management is discouraging. When contacting corp HR and District Management do not expect any support, rather than support they ask you leave the company. Have been promoted to a new role, then when asked for a raise bombed back down to previous role. They use you then push you out the door. The company isn't supportive and is very dirty. Discouraging. I do not recommend for anyone looking for employment. 2 thumbs down.

Advice to Management

Keep documentation of everything. Be independent and do not seek advice or help from upper management.

"Stock"

Former Employee - Stock Associate in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Stock Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Williams-Sonoma part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, employee discount, opportunity to work with software

Cons

Work environment, lack of professionalism, and structure of company

Advice to Management

Read 7 habits of highly effective people

"WORST COMPANY EVER"

Current Employee - Control Buyer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Control Buyer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None. Nothing. Nada. None. Nothing. Nada. None. Nothing. Nada. None. Nothing. Nada. None. Nothing. Nada. None. Nothing. Nada. None. Nothing. Nada.

Cons

Pretty much everything about this company is terrible. It all starts at the top with the President (Janet Hayes). Monday starts off super early rushing and getting ready for a series of business reviews, including a 4-hour business review led by Janet, where she and the other executives are served meals because the meeting is so long. This sets the tone for the work week.
    Janet micro-manages every aspect of this company, and therefore nobody has any empowerment. Everyone drags their feet on making any decision, out of fear, or waiting weeks to get some face-time with Janet to get a simple word changed on a box.
    There is no respect for anyones time at this company; expect lots of worthless meetings, where everyone is required to attend, many 4-6 hour meetings standing (not sitting), and many meetings run HOURS longer than scheduled.
    The worst part of this entire company is the culture. Mean people are everywhere. There is absolutely no reason for the way people treat each other, but it is terrible. Management lacks integrity.
    Personal/professional development: There is none
    Business Travel: You will be required to pay for this on your own, and be reimbursed. But expect to wait AT LEAST 3-4 months. I was appalled at how long this took, and after inquiring, I was told "You will get your money, so be patient".
    Salary - they pay about 30% less than competitors, touting their "employee discount" and other perks as something competitors do not offer. The employee discount is 40% on most items, but you will also find that the mark-up on most items is 60-70%, so you are really not getting any sort of deal; instead you realize how much they over-charge customers.
    Really, overall this was the worst career decision I have ever made.

Advice to Management

I don't know where to begin? Fire everyone and start over? But then all the terrible employees would be scattered among other companies in the bay area, and that is not fair.

"Thank Goodness I Got Out."

Former Employee - Corporate - WS Brand in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Corporate - WS Brand in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Discount. Jim Brett and the west elm brand.

Cons

I feel for anyone who still works there at WS or PB or any shared services. If you are considering getting a job here - really, think twice - it's not at all a good place to be. I would wait until they change CEOs - hopefully this will happen soon. I hope that the Board of Directors will see what she is doing to this company and do something about it.

When I arrived at WS years ago and Howard Lester was still CEO things were different. There was integrity, there were less VPs taking up all of the corporate payroll budget, people were recognized for their hard work.

Now - it's every man or woman for themselves. They promote VPs constantly and then they don't allow teams to have enough lower level employees to get the job done effectively. They go on hiring freezes quite often. The only way to get the resources you need is to be in the "in crowd."

This is a very very toxic environment and I highly discourage folks from starting a career here - there are plenty of other more professional places to work.

The CEO makes no bones about it - the store managers are completely to blame for all negative trending business in brick and mortar in her eyes and she is ready to fire anyone at the drop of a hat. Everyone is replaceable in her mind. This message cuts through loud and clear to those around her which breeds a culture of back stabbing and blame-storming.

It's amazing how many people have jumped ship this year alone - people who have been with the company for a long time. People who have even recently been honored with high awards - just gone. From all levels - SVPs on down to Managers.

Advice to Management

Board of Directors - if you can hear me out there - please take a hard look at this CEO - she is a toxic person who will take this company down - once she is done milking all of the brand equity by throwing frequent promotions this company will be a tattered, beaten down image of itself.

"developer"

Current Employee - Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Developer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I couldn't recommend this place to anyone, seriously. It's too out-of-control.

Cons

-purchase and technical decisions made by upper mgmt that have direct impact on my team to implement and support and never included in pre-decision discussions and often the decision itself is not even communicated at all. We just find out when it happens(i.e. the equipment and/or consultants show up).
    -no training to support new hardware that is purchased w/o our knowledge.
    -constantly put in reactive mode
    -complete lack of coordination between many projects.
    -no process by which to communicate concerns and have anything done about them.
    -vendor always consulted and believed and our technical experience unknown, unrecognized, unwanted, unimportant.
    -just a cog in a machine.

Advice to Management

-So much $ is wasted on out-of-control projects, consultants and decision making by non-technical folks who take the vendor at their word or think 'a project is a project'.
    -Plan projects based on effort and resources not time and $.
    -recognize and value our experience instead of the vendor.
    -HUGE morale problem in IT. Care enough to talk with them and understand the problems. Don't believe what your directors are telling you if 'all is good'.

"Remember people first...."

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discount some good product some great people
    Visuals always look and are fun to set. Using discount for sale at your 40% when they open it is great

Cons

Leadership out of touch with stores direction of company is so Very different from what Chuck would have wanted people treated as

"Williams Sonoma"

Former Employee - Furniture Service Associate in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Furniture Service Associate in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Williams-Sonoma (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are great you get PTO vacation and sick time

Cons

Management is horrible they stock together against employees

"Lost their way"

Former Employee - General Manager in Brookhaven, DeKalb, GA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Brookhaven, DeKalb, GA

I worked at Williams-Sonoma (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great products and some good people

Cons

Hideous demands on salaried people
    Pay one of the lowest in the industry
    Technology from the dark ages
    No longer offers anything unique
    Service suffers due to payroll cuts. Their own e commerce will put them out of brick and mortar

Advice to Management

People first - remember this is one of your core values - too much focus on the $ and you lose what made you great - your people

Showing 238 of 1,427 reviews