Willis Towers Watson Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Willis Towers Watson CEO John Haley
John Haley

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Best company to provide work life balance (in 131 reviews)

• Managers have a grown up attitude and are more than happy for you to work from home (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • It can be tricky to maintain work / life balance (in 136 reviews)

• can be exposed to long hours of work or shifting schedules; uncertain career path (in 79 reviews)

"Don't Waste Your Time Here"

I have been working at Willis Towers Watson full-time

Pros

I work with some of the most dedicated and professional people out there.

Cons

Since the merger of Towers Watson and Willis, it has become apparent that employees are the least important members of this company.

Advice to Management

Quit cutting our benefits and act like you value your employees before they all leave.

"Rankist, but casual, office environment"

I have been working at Willis Towers Watson full-time

Pros

The office is jeans casual. Flexible work schedule, and the office makes an effort at creating a friendly environment. Care about what their employees think, but changes are slow to come in such a large organization.

There are some really great people. The company is trying to be more progressive in their office culture, which is great, but it seems to only be happening from a physical aspect and not in terms of many of the people in the office.

Cons

Rankist environment. Office makes an effort at creating a friendly environment, but only because of the lack of interaction and some unfriendly associates.

Analysts and consultants do not treat their admin, or any admin, with the respect they should.

Harassment is not taken seriously if it will affect a relationship with a client.

Diversity efforts need a makeover. They have failed to realize diversity starts by educating the majority on biases and how to welcome and celebrate the differences of others. Instead, they provide networks for minorities for support...Minorities should NOT need to gather to support one another because their white colleagues expect them to assimilate as opposed to integrate. I would expect a company in this industry to know this, and I am sure they do, but hey, that's institutional and inherent racism for you...They want diversity in ways that is convenient for them: having their minorities find other minorities.

Pay is not very competitive. Health insurance options could be better, especially if you have children. My wife works for a school system and has better health insurance than I do.

Advice to Management

Create an enhanced approach to increase and retain diverse hires by educating everyone.
    Provide more enhanced leadership training at all levels.
    Socialize the importance of collaboration with associates to complement the work space enhancements.

3. "CSR"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pittsburg, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pittsburg, CA

I worked at Willis Towers Watson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Experience about health benefits

Cons

No room for growth -too much favoritism

Advice to Management

Be honest

4. "Needs to raise morale"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Willis Towers Watson as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

You can get your Life Health and annuities insurance license

Cons

The company does not have a good way of motivating you to say within the company they do not typically offer permanent positions. Some people have been there for four and five seasons of Medicare and Healthcare and still seasonal employees

Advice to Management

In order for you to effectively create the change that you want in your work environment you have got to reinforce that the Frontline reps that are on the phone are valuable and you have to show them if they're valuable by offering them amicable pay as well as benefits

"Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Willis Towers Watson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company does a lot for the community and takes good care of it's employees

Cons

Management is terrible, serious micro management and very little room for advancement

Advice to Management

Let up on employees and let them do their job

6. "Can't See The Forest For The Trees"

Former Employee - Senior Broker in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Broker in Boston, MA

I worked at Willis Towers Watson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home, no micro management

Cons

Favoritism, female centric to a fault. Other spectrum of micromanagement, no management

Advice to Management

If you set forth new rules and guidelines hold everyone to these rules and guidelines.

7. "Great company; horrible compensation philosophy"

I have been working at Willis Towers Watson full-time

Pros

Relaxed working environment, good work/life balance, good vacation time

Cons

Management does not work with you on career goals and a path to achieve those goals.

Competitive compensation is a serious issue, and everyone top to bottom knows it. Most employees know they are underpaid, and the philosophy of getting a raise after you are in a job for x amount of time is something that is said, but not seen in practice. I don't think they understand the negative work environment this creates. As a company that provides competitive compensation tools, they should be embarrassed that their own employees feel this way. What's more, employees are hearing excuses from upper management. Actions speak louder than words, and every employee is watching this unfold.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees what they're worth, and stop making excuses not to.

"Run From The CDA Group"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Willis Towers Watson full-time

Pros

Staff, Benefits, Dinner&Learn, Free Parking, Monthly Employee Celebrations

Cons

Some Acclaris Management placed in positions based on tenure and loyalty only - in some cases skill and leadership experience are non-existent
    System and reporting issues
    Training

Advice to Management

I hate to give only two stars but it is a reflection of the old Acclaris culture and leadership. WTW still has some cleaning up to do. Individuals with leadership titles should carry themselves as leaders, treat their staff with respect, and interact with team members. A good leader does not sit on her lofty throne in a dark cave pretending to know everything.

"San Diego Service Center"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Willis Towers Watson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Once converted to full time associate, position is very secure

Cons

Poor pay and benefit structure, which continues to get worse year to year with the merger
    Negligible room for actual advancement or promotion based on merit, people are more often promoted who are not deserving/qualified due to favoritism (i.e. people leave the company and return later with a promotion)
    Too much time wasted on meaningless PE process

Advice to Management

Focus on taking care of your employees with better pay and benefits., in turn the employees will be happier and do a better job of taking care of your clients.

10. "Unorganized, little responsibility"

Current Intern - Intern - Hourly in Boston, MA
    Current Intern - Intern - Hourly in Boston, MA

I have been working at Willis Towers Watson as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Casual dress code, most people are nice but some senior staff have a very pompous attitude, good pay, relatively little hours for consulting

Cons

Essentially a waste of my summer. I spent the majority of my time waiting for someone to ask me to format something or upload a document onto the internal site. For more significant projects, full time staff would give me a 5-10 minute crash course on client needs and send me on my way to do the project. Half the time they're unavailable for you to ask questions, then get angry if you don't hit their deadlines and send passive aggressive emails. There's absolutely nothing in terms of an intern program structure - I came in on my first day, had a brief "intro to the firm", got shown my desk, and waited for people to give me work. I have no direct manager so it's nearly impossible to get consistent feedback on the work that I do. I did have a people manager - whatever that means - that I met with a few times over the course of my internship. Any mistake made is met with blunt rudeness and anger. During the two hour orientation meeting on my first day, the leader made it clear we should not stay beyond 5 o'clock (I thought this was odd for consulting), yet I regularly receive emails after that time with work that is expected to be done early in the morning. The firm's tech is absolutely horrible - we still use hard wires to connect to the internet, the phones look older than I am, and our internal site essentially only works on Internet Explorer. Half of the office staff works from home so I never even met most of them. I can honestly say I've learned essentially nothing other than a few healthcare acronyms and that this is not a place I would want to spend my time fresh out of college.

Some of the negatives of this firm come from the nature of the work - unless you're an expert in healthcare policy and management, it's difficult to jump into the middle of a project to do meaningful work. I did feel like people wanted to include me and were happy to have me there, which is why I gave the firm two stars rather than one. Overall, though, your summer would be much better spent at a place that is actually fit to have interns.

Advice to Management

Update your tech (seriously), have a better structured intern program with meaningful tasks for them to do, communicate more clearly with candidates what they would be expected to do as interns, and work on creating a more collaborative office atmosphere

Showing 234 of 1,867 reviews