Willis Towers Watson Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Willis Towers Watson CEO John Haley
John Haley

Pros
Cons
  • It can be tricky to maintain work / life balance (in 121 reviews)

• Sometimes long hours, but should be expected in this industry (in 68 reviews)

1. "Consultant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Willis Towers Watson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent compensation if there were work life balance. Good benefits package (although dissipating)

Cons

Compensation good for "reasonable" work week, but expectations always on the increase to do more for the same. No value placed on work / life balance. No amount is every good enough, always demand for more. Defeating environment.

Advice to Management

Get it together!

2. "Special Situations Benefit Adviser"

I worked at Willis Towers Watson part-time

Pros

Working environment generally pleasant. Work can be interesting and challenging. If you achieve permanent status, benefits are excellent.

Cons

The changing management has created some uncertainty. One Exchange is a different business model than the parent, and the parent is struggling to understand the differences.

Advice to Management

Communicate more at the level of line management. The 30,000 foot view given by senior management does not speak to the people who work in the "trenchs".

3. "Mixed feelings post-merger"

I have been working at Willis Towers Watson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Smart people, ability to grow

Cons

Since merger, culture has felt more negative and business isn't yet reaping benefits expected from merger

5. "Senior Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Parsippany, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Willis Towers Watson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

High quality associates, interesting projects, Fortune 100 clients,

Cons

local leadership has very little decision making power, Also, flexible work policies have resulted in many folks working at home and decreased office energy

Advice to Management

Allow local leadership to decide on promotions and pay adjustments. Without that, you risk loosing key talent. Also, important to have internal pay equity.

6. "Great learning experience with some office challenges"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Willis Towers Watson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Dynamic vendor relationships and analytical tools allowed us to be very innovative with employer benefit plans. Financial modeling was an exciting piece of the work.

Cons

Office politics often created a hostile and challenging environment both day-to-day and to for long term growth goals. Long term personal growth plan was not clearly developed despite asking several times.

"Seasonal Licensed Benefits Advisor"

Former Employee - Licensed Benefits Advisor in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Licensed Benefits Advisor in Richardson, TX

I worked at Willis Towers Watson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Managers, good company.

Cons

You could get (E.O.A'd.) laid off at the end of the season (December, ) and may not be able to work again until sometime in the Spring of next yr.

Advice to Management

Start changing the status of Benefits Advisors from "Seasonal" to "Permanent" positions.

8. "Compensation Analyst"

I worked at Willis Towers Watson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People at this company are very knowledgeable and professional.

Cons

Since the merger, it seems like our benefits are being cut again.

"Not a lot of diversity in leadership, company culture could improve"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Willis Towers Watson full-time

Pros

My specific team is really great. My job is challenging and interesting, and my manager pushes me to learn. It's a pretty collaborative environment on my team.

Cons

I'm relatively new to the organization, but my impression is that leadership is not too diverse and, at least on the legacy Willis side, is made up of a lot of older British white men. I don't see a lot of women or people of color, and, at in some cases Americans seem a little less respected than Brits. This isn't as bad at the middle management level but is clearer in the higher levels of management.

Company culture (legacy Willis) is also London-dominated. Meetings can be a little stuffy and overly formal, especially with overseas colleagues, but also in the US. The dress code in some offices seems very formal for employees who aren't meeting clients that day.

IT and HR systems seem poor. Legacy Willis has a strange performance review system where people get anonymous feedback from coworkers which seems secretive and like it would foster a culture of saying things behind people's back.

Benefits are poor compared to other companies where I have worked (401k especially).

There is not the same sense of feeling like upper management has your best interest in mind as I've felt at other companies. There is not a collective feeling of "we're in this together" - instead, it feels more like senior management is just working for themselves. Making a buck is definitely valued higher than looking out for employees. Of course profit is important, but at other companies I've worked at, profit and doing good work and being a team all seemed linked together, rather than it being a trade off. It also still feels like two distinct companies as Towers Watson and Willis have separate offices even in the same cities and don't interact much - this makes sense given that the companies specialized in different things, but working in the same building as people from Towers Watson would make me feel more like it was one company, and I'd have the chance to get to know those people.

Working from home is somewhat discouraged in some departments, which seems outdated and unnecessary. Also sometimes there is an unspoken pressure to stay late in the office, when it'd be preferable to leave earlier but just log on from home later instead. Or with long commutes, sometimes it'd just be more efficient to work from home now and then.

Advice to Management

Think about whether you have enough diversity in senior management and whether actions can be taken to improve the company culture and make it truly feel like a team.

10. "Former employee"

I worked at Willis Towers Watson full-time

Pros

They pay well with bonus opportunities

Cons

There are no heads up of when they are going to let you go. You go in one day like its a normal day and they turn you back around no matter how far you drove. I think everyone has a right to know if they are going to need to go find another job or if they are going to be kept.

11. "OK"

Pros

good culture and freedom, relax work, nice colleagues

Cons

no career growth and less salary

Advice to Management

compensate people as per their experience not as per interview

Showing 410 of 1,572 reviews