Willis Towers Watson Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 28, 2017
1,486 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,486 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Best company to provide work life balance (in 112 reviews)

• Managers have a grown up attitude and are more than happy for you to work from home (in 36 reviews)

Cons

"There is no one word that can truly describe this company"

Former Employee - Senior Client Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Client Manager

I worked at Willis Towers Watson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are none to list

Cons

26 years in the insurance business. Started out with small agency that was sold to HRH and then to Willis in 2008. Micromanagement at its very finest. Willis treated us like we were total idiots, incapable of doing our jobs without their help. Saw some of the hardest working people I have met in life - most with 25+ years of service- leave this company due to the treatment that they bestowed upon us. Had management look us in the eye and tell us they were committed to doing business in the state only to sell us out at the end of 2013 to the highest bidder. I would not recommend this company to my worst enemy. Willis likes to tout about their values and their "cause" - They have NO values and the only cause they are committed to is how much money they can make. They lie to their employees, treat them like pieces of property that when they are done with they easily discard like trash. Can't make a decision to save their souls. Totally disorganized. Last 5 years working for them have been the hardest,longest and most depressing years of my work life.

Advice to Management

Take a good long hard look at how you treat your employees. They are not "human capital" as you so like to call us

"Run"

Current Employee - Client Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Client Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Willis Towers Watson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None, This was one of the worst career choices I have made. Everyone was looking to jump ship if an opportunity arose.

Cons

Bad management, poor morale, lack of control over staff. Poor performers are kept and there is a lot of irrational decision-making. Client managers are treated poorly while maintaining the accounts and providing the information to producers to expand their business. The review process makes no sense and varies from manager to manager. Poor performer but well liked with a lax boss. 5's around the board.

Advice to Management

New leadership is needed in Charlotte

"Thrive on mediocrity"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Willis Towers Watson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you have had a mediocre career, but have the ability to take other peoples ideas, grab leads before the right person with the right skills does, and promote yourself and synch up with upper management, then this is place for you!

Cons

Still having problems with the merger from 2010. Old Towers Perrin culture reigns in the Talent, Rewards, and Communications practice. Not very talented people get ahead, as long as they play the politics right. They don't recognize talent. Consultants are way overworked, and they don't pay as well as the big 4 consulting firms.

Advice to Management

You should take your own advice that you give to your clients.

"Disorganized management, low pay, no raises"

Former Employee - Escrow Specialist in Solon, OH
    Former Employee - Escrow Specialist in Solon, OH

I worked at Willis Towers Watson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent amount of vacation time; Casual dress

Cons

I worked at this company for ten years. Throughout the entire course of that decade, I only received one fifty cent raise. The only reason I stayed was because they kept assuring me the pay freeze was coming to an end and that they would overcompensate for the lack of raises if I would stick it out, but then that would never happen. I was personally promised a 50% raise if I waited until a certain date, so I felt it was in my best interest to stay, but that never happened. This company is on an infinite pay freeze. They pay their new hires in more and more each year, but they don't raise up their existing workers up to where the new hires are pay wise. So you are training someone who is getting paid a great deal more than you are to do the exact job you have been doing for years!! By the time I left, every coworker I had was scrambling to find a different job.
    Also, this company has one of the worst management styles that I have ever experienced. They do not listen to their workers' suggestions who see the day-to-day problems. You are discouraged to communicate to coworkers or to management. While I was there, I was written up for answering a coworker's question because they were only to ask managers questions. I had been there for ten years and the person who asked me a question was in her second month of working there, and she had a client on the phone inquiring about something. Management was busy and she asked me and I gave her the answer, and they have a policy that you are not allowed to answer the questions of others. Management makes the craziest policies that actually are counterproductive and hinder work flow, which results in loss of clients, and eventually fairly large layoffs. One of the policies that management has is that you are not allowed to email clients directly nor are you allowed to email anyone directly. (coworkers, etc.) You are to email the office manager, and if she decides that it was written in a polite, non-offensive tone, she passes it along to whoever it is to. Therefore, urgent issues are not handled in a timely manner. Management is hired externally and do not welcome input from those underneath them, so they make horrible decisions which results in chaos and unhappy clients.
    This job was also sued throughout my course of time there on multiple occasions for being a hostile work environment. People have successfully won these law suits.
    ***I would very strongly advise against taking a position within this company.***

Advice to Management

Listen to those underneath you! They are the ones participating in the work process and they therefore have good ideas and suggestions. Have more of an open door policy as far as feedback/concerns/ideas. COMPENSATE YOUR WORKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Create a solid pay increase schedule. (Choose a month and give standard cost-of-living raises during this month every year like most other companies!!!)

"Adverse, toxic and demoralizing workplace"

Former Employee - Insurance Broker in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Insurance Broker in Chicago, IL

I worked at Willis Towers Watson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are competitive. 401k match is below market.

Cons

Coworkers lie, backstab and ruin others reputations, so they can earn their commissions and save themselves from their own mistakes.
    Leadership promotes favorites - nepotism is everywhere
    You are treated like a robot - given orders, asked to be quiet and do what you are told.
    No worklife balance - I was expected to work on Christmas day every year.
    No professional development training whatsoever.
    Salary is 30% below what other employers in the area offer.

Advice to Management

Resign.

"Great Company unless you work in the Finance Department"

Current Employee - Project Billing Analyst in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Project Billing Analyst in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Willis Towers Watson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are opportunities to post out to other departments, but it is very rare and a slow process to transfer out of the Finance Department. The Finance Department is looked down upon and the workers are treated like peons. Management is very hands on and is constantly watching who is at their seats and working. The Department is micro managed from the Director down to the Supervisors. It is a very abrasive and tense environment.

Cons

I don't have anything positive to say about personal growth, promotions and leadership except it is very hard to move. The low balled the salaries of the employees just joining the team and the disparity in salaries amoungst the group is very large. Some people make 38,000 and some make 65,000 to do the same exact job.

Advice to Management

They need to evaluate the leadership role from the Supervisors up to the VP of the Department and make changes. Talk the talk, but also walk the walk. They have nice meetings but people are afraid to speak up and speak their minds for fear of retaliation or being terminated. Management is unapproachable and too hands on.

"Get off the sinking ship"

Former Employee - Senior Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at Willis Towers Watson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The only reason to work at Willis is if you have exhausted every other opportunity, you are trying to hide out from creditors, are ok with working under factory conditions and have no place else to go.

Cons

A company run by arrogant people that have no idea what they are doing. Their only solution to fixing problems is to cut costs (see April Bloomberg report). You would think that life would be better post Plumeri. Current employees are irrepreably tarnishing their careers by staying employed at Willis.

Advice to Management

Too broken to fix. You cant solve every problem by cutting costs, layiing off people and moving the jobs to India.

Willis Towers Watson Response

Jun 18, 2014 – HR Advisor

While your review of Willis is not one that we like to hear, we do appreciate you taking the time to write it. Willis has assembled some of the strongest best professionals in the business on our ... More

"Make sure you have a people manager who takes development seriously."

Former Employee - Analyst
    Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at Willis Towers Watson full-time

Pros

Exposure to various clients and industries.

Flexible work environment depending upon the office and the manager.

Cons

You'll do the same work over and over again. If you get stuck with a people manager who doesn't care about development you can get dead ended. Some offices afford you more flexibility than others. Average benefits. I highly recommend not starting your career at Towers. Other firms do a much better job of developing their people. Go to Hay, Pay Governance or Pear Meyer if you are starting your career in this field. You'll be treated much better as an analyst or project manager.

Advice to Management

Do a better job of picking people managers. Look at what offices have high turnover/haven't promoted people and ask yourself what has been the constant.

"Not great for growth opportunities"

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Willis Towers Watson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits and work life balance

Cons

Not a lot of growth opportunities

"Odd Culture, political shark tank, no training- but you must do it our way..."

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Willis Towers Watson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are very bright and once they have kicked back a few drinks they loosen up and personalities actually begin to develop!

Cons

Leadership? Leadership is too busy to pay any attention to what the individual managers are up to. Then, when things are escalated, and probably too late- they become involved. The managers need training, the staff needs training. When leadership is engaged- they are great- it just does not happen all the time. Too bad. It would create a better environment and change the culture.

Advice to Management

Increase training- get rid of poor managers. Pay attention to what is happening.

Showing 1,486 of 1,611 reviews