Wilton Brands Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Wilton Brands CEO Sue Buchta
Sue Buchta

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The summer hours, work from home hours and flex time demonstrate the dedication to work-life balance (in 25 reviews)

• I can't thank the executive team for implementing a work life balance (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has cliques with middle management because they brought the middle managers with them from where they used to work (in 8 reviews)

• Lack of communication from all levels of management, unclear expectations (in 4 reviews)

"Chaos"

I have been working at Wilton Brands full-time

Pros

Nice work location, creative marketing initiatives, recognized brand, beginning to address consumer insights

Cons

No product innovation, management allowed to bully, department silos not working together

Dec 6, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your time working at Wilton Brands.

We are very excited about taking the well reputed legacy of Wilton Brands and combining that with new... More

"Be afraid....be very afraid"

I worked at Wilton Brands full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Used to be a great place to work...summer hours were a great perk. Salary was always competitive with quality products. for consumers .

Cons

The company is stuck in a slow death spiral. They have been selling off parts of the company and laying off the most experienced and higher paid employees in order to make their debt payments. What's left is an executive team that is over their heads, hiring consultants to tell them what to do and hiring people with little experience for lower pay. They are losing market share everywhere with a 5th year of declining sales with no new product innovation anywhere insight.

Advice to Management

Sell the company but I don't think anyone would be interested. It's time for the CEO to step down and admit she has no clue. Constantly laying off employees in order to make your numbers never works in the long run. Stop lying to your employees saying there will be no more layoffs but yet every three months their are more...such a toxic environment to work in.

Nov 10, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

The past year has been a building year and focused on core business. We are looking forward to the future optimistically and appreciate your part in the legacy of Wilton Brands LLC.

3. "The light bulb is dim!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Wilton Brands full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Talented artists, office with a view and local amenities were the best part of working here. 1/2 days on Fridays during the summer and a fair salary.

Cons

Management!
    My supervisor was the most incompetent and disingenuous person I've ever worked for and held personal grudges. Our CEO quit and left to pursue other ventures. I guess he saw the writing on the wall. I waited for the severance package to get out of there. The company walked out the small mom-n-pop scrapbook stores and made the shift to the big "box" stores. I saw it coming. No long term vision, just a quick profit.

Advice to Management

You can't design from the corporate bench. Good design needs to be reflected on and time invested to make the best products. All we seemed to do is mirror what our competitors do. Originality is gone. The forced brainstorm sessions were showing.

"Look Around"

I have been working at Wilton Brands full-time

Pros

Flexible Hours (certain dept)
    New corporate office

Cons

Lack of competent management
    Lack of job direction

Oct 17, 2017 – HR Recruiting Manager

We are happy to hear that the flex time that Wilton Brands offers to its employees has been beneficial to you. It is true that not all positions are able to participate, as certain roles require a... More

"Employee"

I worked at Wilton Brands full-time

Pros

Fun product, great people, good flexibility

Cons

Absolutely dysfunctional and borderline toxic work environment

Aug 31, 2017 – HR Recruiting Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your experiences with Wilton. We are delighted to hear about your satisfaction with the products and culture.
    We understands your concerns... More

"Unstable envirnoment"

I worked at Wilton Brands full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people are wonderful to work with. Each person tries there best. Some changes that have been recently made have been good.

Cons

It isn't the environment it used to be. It used to be fun and people would work together more. Change is never easy, but it seems that you are only advised of a portion of the information.

Advice to Management

Be honest with the people. Most of them have been there for a long time and can assist with making transitions to "new ways" easier.

Sep 7, 2017 – HR Recruiting Manager

We understands your concerns... More

"Doesn't Value Employees"

I worked at Wilton Brands full-time

Pros

Friendly co-workers, ability to work from home on occasion

Cons

Lack of communication from all levels of management, unclear expectations

Advice to Management

Please make sure the people you put in management positions know what it means to be a manager. Ignoring new employees, failing to train them and then holding them to unrealistic expectations is not conducive to a positive work environment. Blatant favoritism and lying to your employees is also not productive.

8. "Independent Wilton Method Instructor"

Former Contractor - Classroom Instructor
    Former Contractor - Classroom Instructor

I worked at Wilton Brands as a contractor (More than 8 years)

Pros

To be able to teach others cake decorating and share my experience.

Cons

Unable to reach direct supervisor when needed and difficulty receiving information regarding the program. Also not being paid in a timely manner. Too much focus on the bottom line and not enough focus on the instructors.

Advice to Management

To focus more on the instructors, For they are the ones who are out there selling the products.

9. "Wilton"

I worked at Wilton Brands full-time

Pros

Good benefits and flexible schedule

Cons

A lot of restructuring and cost cutting

"A Sea of Chaos in a Land of Mediocrity"

Pros

Respectable work-life balance. Generally the place is a ghost town after 5:30. Some of the product lines in the corporate portfolio are fun and interesting. The majority of people are polite albeit somewhat apathetic.

Cons

Leadership and communication is poor at best. In a changing environment people are stuck in old ways of doing business and working in silos. A larger business strategy is nonexistent or if it does exist it is not communicated. It seems like the tail wags the dog. For a company with such a rich history it is shocking there is such a lack of structure or process.

In Chicagoland it is a revolving door where those who remain are not sure what is going on. A great deal of knowledge goes out the door when people leave as they are frustrated with senior management and lack of solid planning and communication.

In the New York office people do tend to stay with the company a long time but with that people are there for a “stable paycheck” and are biding time until retirement. On the other side of the coin are young millennials brought in to the organization as interns and a couple of years down the road given some authority because the company wants to reach a younger audience and sees these folks as indicative of that. Yet they are clearly not ready or able to be up to the task and are not given the tools or training to do so. And senior management seems to be play catch can which leaves much to last minute – a recipe for failure.

Simply put, the company is in a deep rut with declining sales in a changing environment engaging in miscellaneous tactics with little strategy and forethought behind them.

Advice to Management

There is a difference in trying new tactics that may or may not work if there is a strategy and plan behind them vs. just doing a few things ad hoc because that is what the “popular” or trendy thing is to do. Nor is doing business in the same old way it has been done for decades in an ever changing environment – it is not going to work. Be willing to take calculated risks and also be willing to experience a few setbacks along the way but pivot accordingly and quickly within a plan vs. remaining in the rut you are in.

The blame game is rampant and much is attributed to the Wilton’s acquisition of various companies. Life needs to go on. There comes a time where you move on and work through the problems to aim to solve them. There’s too much passive-aggressive behavior and resentment to go around. Have a thought out strategy with clear budgets, objectives, and action plans vs. waiting until the last minute and setting your team up for failure and not taking responsibility for your own poor leadership.