Wilton Brands Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Wilton Brands CEO Sue Buchta
Sue Buchta

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Summer hours are a great benefit and there are still some good people that work in lower levels (in 22 reviews)

• Great benefits package and work life balance (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has cliques with middle management because they brought the middle managers with them from where they used to work (in 7 reviews)

• Lack of communication from all levels of management, unclear expectations (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Change"

I worked at Wilton Brands full-time

Pros

All new senior management that are taking a great historical dominant brand and making it exciting and relevant again.

Cons

There still exists old timers who want the business to be run like it was in 2005. They are being worked out but it takes time.

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward, seems like the company is on a much better track.

"Excited for the future"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

I have been working at Wilton Brands full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, work life balance, nice new office. Solid benefits that mostly start immediately. Fun and good quality products. Employee discount. Ideas are appreciated.

Cons

Slow to change and adapt. New technology is needed and new supply chain. Laptops are slowly becoming more common but not everyone has them. Some software is clunky. No cafeteria on site is a bit of a bummer.

Advice to Management

The website needs some serious investment and upgrades.

Sep 19, 2017 – HR Recruiting Manager

There are so many amazing things happening at Wilton Brands and we are delighted that the direction that the company is moving in is having a positive affect on our employees. We are dedicated to... More

"Sweet gig"

Former Employee - Instructor in Burleson, TX
    Former Employee - Instructor in Burleson, TX

I worked at Wilton Brands part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They provided training and helped me find a store where I would teach. I love cake decorating, teaching others, and using Wilton products.

Cons

I spent more money on materials and class promotion than I earned while teaching classes. (Personal time invested, cakes, icing, cake dummies, business cards, flyers and Wilton products.) There was not a lot of interest in my area.

Advice to Management

Your products seem to be losing shelf-space and your comprehensive courses are no longer offered at our Michael's and Hobby Lobby. You need new ways to interest and delight customers.

Sep 18, 2017 – HR Recruiting Manager

We greatly appreciate that time taken to reflect on your time as a Wilton Instructor. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time combining your passion for cake decorating and Wilton... More

"Avoid Working Here"

I have been working at Wilton Brands full-time

Pros

Summer hours are a great benefit and there are still some good people that work in lower levels. The customer base is loyal and the new headquarters is much better than the old one.

Cons

I worry about the financial health of the company with the continued decline in sales and all of the lay-offs. It's a dysfunctional work environment with poor communication from senior leadership. There's no real vision shared and I've seen senior management bash one another and make comments that are untruthful - to employees and partners. While there were some people let go because they didn't provide value and resistant to change, a lot of talented people left or were let go because they questioned bad strategy (or no real strategy). Many stay to get severance in the next round of lay-offs. The senior management team members are valued more for their loyalty and obedience than their ability to create and execute impactful strategies. Many are clearly over their head.

Advice to Management

Clearly communicate a vision and show real leadership. Senior leadership needs to live the company values - they shouldn't just be a sign on the wall. Don't only show yourself only at town halls and publicly threatening to take away benefits like summer hours is not a good way to build morale. Encourage creative and contrarian thinking and diversity of opinions. Be as focused on the well-being as your employees as you are with saving your jobs.

Sep 18, 2017 – HR Recruiting Manager

We appreciate the time it takes to reflect on your time at Wilton. Wilton brands is dedicated to work life balance for our employees, so we appreciate the positive acknowledgement of our new... More

"Senior Product Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodridge, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodridge, IL

I worked at Wilton Brands full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great product line, new office location, good work/life balance changes happening

Cons

Lack of strong company processes, little to no unity between departments, lack of strong direction and decision making from management.

The product development team was restructured this year, and the team was told from the CEO, at the beginning, that our feelings on what positions we would like to have in the new organization would be taken into consideration. Funny thing, when the changes came about, no one was spoken to, and no one got any say. So now there is a team with jobs they don't want, doing work that doesn't interest them, and I think it's safe to say that people will be leaving and more changes will be happening. If you are a true product development manager, this is NOT the organization for you.

Advice to Management

Good luck.

Aug 31, 2017 – HR Recruiting Manager

Thank you for taking the time to reflect on your time at Wilton Brands. Transparency and open discussion is an important part of our corporate culture.

It is wonderful to hear that the careful... More

"Inexperienced management team unable to turn the corner"

I worked at Wilton Brands full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

New office space is nice but does not make up for the negatives.

Cons

Management team is not to be trusted. Executive suite level management turn on each other constantly. Culture is toxic and was toxic the entire time I worked there.

Advice to Management

Resign if you care about the company at all.

Aug 31, 2017 – HR Recruiting Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to reflect on your time at Wilton and that you enjoyed your time in the new office space!

We hear your frustrations and we are proud to be a culture of high... More

7. "Great Experience!"

I have been working at Wilton Brands full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful work life balance, fun atmosphere, great people! A lot of changes have been made, but all for the positive. The leadership is communicating more and the people team have been wonderful to work with from the interview process, new hire orientation. The office in Naperville is new and very nice, the distribution centers are busy.

Cons

The only con is that I wish the testing kitchen would share food even more than they already do.

Advice to Management

Keep up with the communication initiatives and creating a warm environment for all employees.

Aug 31, 2017 – HR Recruiting Manager

Welcome to Wilton! It is very much appreciated that you have taken the time to share your positive experiences at Wilton.

We work diligently to create a workplace where our people learn, thrive... More

8. "Wilton"

I have been working at Wilton Brands full-time

Pros

Senior management is working hard to appease the numerous requests from employees, by improving involvement, perks, and hiring a compensation analyst. They have used the restructure, to eliminate the negativity and obsolete jobs that were hindering us from progressing.

*Laid-back atmosphere
    *Diverse and friendly co-workers
    *Creativity is encouraged
    *Percentage of women in senior management

Cons

Due to the transition, there are some major gaps in communication, and the workload is stacked in certain departments/individuals.
    *Technical difficulties!!

Aug 31, 2017 – HR Recruiting Manager

We are so happy to hear that your experiences at Wilton have been rewarding.

We understand how frustrating it can be to deal with technical delays and continue to work on correcting those... More

"Employee"

I worked at Wilton Brands full-time

Pros

Fun product, great people, good flexibility

Cons

Absolutely dysfunctional and borderline toxic work environment

Aug 31, 2017 – HR Recruiting Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your experiences with Wilton. We are delighted to hear about your satisfaction with the products and culture.
    We understands your concerns... More

"Unstable envirnoment"

I worked at Wilton Brands full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people are wonderful to work with. Each person tries there best. Some changes that have been recently made have been good.

Cons

It isn't the environment it used to be. It used to be fun and people would work together more. Change is never easy, but it seems that you are only advised of a portion of the information.

Advice to Management

Be honest with the people. Most of them have been there for a long time and can assist with making transitions to "new ways" easier.

Sep 7, 2017 – HR Recruiting Manager