Wimsatt Building Materials Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Great Pay & Benefits"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wayne, MI

I have been working at Wimsatt Building Materials full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay
    Great health benefits
    Great 401K

Cons

Hours can be a bit long
    Policies and procedures can be a bit confusing
    Depressing work environment

Wimsatt Building Materials Response

Mar 3, 2017

Thank you for writing a review about your experience at Wimsatt. We appreciate your 5+ years of service with the company! Beyond leading compensation and benefits, we aspire to create an engaging ... More

"Territory Manager"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Traverse City, MI
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Traverse City, MI

I have been working at Wimsatt Building Materials full-time

Pros

Excellent training available to all personel in every division, Team atmosphere, Compensation package, Promotion opportunities and the overall willingness of this company to assist their people to be successful....I started my career here in March of 2001 as a jumper on a delivery truck. I then moved to a driver position and then to warehouse supervisor. Today I am currently the Territory Manager for the northwest region and this March will mark the start of my 15th year of employment and I am looking forward to many more successful years with this great company...

Cons

These are not "Cons" but rather be aware that any position with in Wimsatt will require your full attention and a daily commitment to being your best if you wish to obtain the highest levels of success....Invest yourself in the culture and they will invest in you.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great leadership and values.....

3. "My job at Wimsatt Building Materials"

Current Employee - Warehouse Supervisor in Saginaw, MI
    Current Employee - Warehouse Supervisor in Saginaw, MI

I have been working at Wimsatt Building Materials full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wimsatt can be a great or bad place to work. Great if you are motivated to work hard. Bad if your looking for a job to just skate the day away. They provide healthcare from Blue Cross Blue Shield, and Aflac. They have 401k Retirement. Paid Vacation! Great starting pay for CDL drivers and if you don't have a CDL and Have a clean driving record they will help you get your CDL. Every position has opportunity for BONUS's! Safety equipment is provided per job title. Overtime pay after 40 Hours (time and a half). Take this as a pro or con but you will be challenged Physically and Mentally. Opportunities for advancement are based on work ethic not seniority. I've been with Wimsatt for over 3 years now and I'm above people that have 9 years in. Just show them what you got and you will be taken care of.

Cons

Working at Wimsatt you will work very hard. In the summer the hours you work can be from 45 to 65 hours in a week. Winter time hours are cut to 40 hours a week. We work in almost all weather conditions.

5. "Hard work does pay off"

Current Employee - Warehouse Manager in Waterford, MI
    Current Employee - Warehouse Manager in Waterford, MI

I have been working at Wimsatt Building Materials full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Employees safety was always a priority, and the company does reward employees for their efforts. During my years at the company I found that they took notice of employees who showed dedication and a willingness to take initiative. I had a great relationship with my manager and the owners. Was a former contractor and customer for many years before coming on board, so I knew they were a good organization and handled quality products.

Cons

Hours can be long during busy summer/fall season. And you are working during Michigan winters so the cold and wind, etc., can be brutal. If you dress for it you're going to be ok.

Advice to Management

Continue to watch our competitors!

6. "Had it's ups and downs"

Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Wayne, MI
    Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Wayne, MI

I worked at Wimsatt Building Materials full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay for little to no experience.

Cons

Would expect you to show up at 6am or even 5am sometimes to shovel snow from their parking lot. Long, unpredictable hours. Mandatory Saturdays. Management and sales only care about their ego trips.

Advice to Management

Change your required hours so that people aren't having to go in at 6am or Saturdays. Then you'll probably have less turnover. Stop with all the arrogance when you can't even run the business efficiently.

7. "Hard Work Pays, Kinda"

Former Employee - Driver/Warehouse in Wayne, MI
    Former Employee - Driver/Warehouse in Wayne, MI

I worked at Wimsatt Building Materials (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay with overtime and bonus structure.

Cons

Delivery staff will require every piece of energy from their bodies during summer days: 70+ hour weeks.

Advice to Management

Bonus programs should start as soon as training is complete.

8. "Territory Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wayne, MI

Pros

Great Company to work for and ample opportunity to grow from within. I have been with Wimsatt since 2002 starting my career as the receptionist and now over looking a territory in the sales field. Excellent benefits, insurance, and 401K programs. If your looking for a fast pace, energetic, excellent pay and friendly environment to grow in... This is your place!

Cons

Must be willing to work long hours!

"Growth and Opportunity"

Current Employee - Manager in Waterford, MI
    Current Employee - Manager in Waterford, MI

Pros

The construction/home improvement industry is a great place to build a career. There's a constant demand for building materials - everyone needs a roof over their head.... There's no better place than Wimsatt when it comes to servicing contractors. They have the best facilities, inventory and equipment. There's a team oriented, customer focused culture. The company truly wants to be the best at what they do. There are a lot of internal promotions.

Cons

The construction/home improvement industry is seasonal in Michigan. Consequently, we put in some long hours Spring through Fall. Wimsatt is a fast-paced company, not everyone is comfortable running full speed all day.

Advice to Management

Keep expanding on the employee development opportunities for people to rise through the ranks.

"Territory Manager"

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Wayne, MI
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Wayne, MI

Pros

Wimsatt is best among competition in terms of service, pricing, and reliability. Rock solid service reputation. The only way competitors can compete is by price slashing. If you work not only hard, but smart and efficient, you can easily make 6 figures. I personally did not see a career at this company but learned a lot. Company vehicle, phone, benefits package is outstanding. Work/life balance, though internal, will def. be tested!

Cons

Long hours, lots of variables out your control, stressful environment, closed book, lots of brown-nosing and cheap talk. But if you can handle it, there is great money and freedom to run to run your territory your way. If you can create value to your customers, the perception of commodities and price obstacles do not matter. Some of your customers are scum (just like any industry though).

"A Great Place to Build your Career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wayne, MI

I have been working at Wimsatt Building Materials full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Wimsatt has been around for almost 80 years with steady growth over the last few decades, offering the size, stability, and opportunities for advancement that a hard-working individual can stake their career and family's well being on. And yet as a family-owned business, there are personal touches that you wouldn't necessarily see at larger companies - from open access to management and ownership, paid holidays for Christmas, Christmas Eve, and New Year's Eve - to little things like a ham at Easter and Christmas and a turkey for your family at Thanksgiving.

Cons

There are high expectations for time commitment and effort, and it take a long time to earn additional vacation days - but ownership rewards greatly those who work hard. If you see this as a con, then this might not be the job for you.

Advice to Management

There are always new opportunities, new technologies, and new ways of doing things emerging in our industry and across all industries being brought to us from the next generation of leaders; being diligent in exploring and considering them will keep us in the lead.