WinSport Canada Reviews | Glassdoor

WinSport Canada Reviews

Updated January 5, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dan O'Neill

1. "Overall a good company"

I worked at WinSport Canada part-time

Pros

-Enjoyed my time there, largely for the people I worked with, who pretty friendly and easy-going
    -They scheduled around my hours, which was important to me as a student

Cons

-Pay was not very much. When I began it was ok, but there was no loyalty for returning staff. After 4 years I was actually getting paid less then when I began (mainly because I switched positions) because they didn't bump wages when the minimum wage increase happened

Advice to Management

You can likely reduce turnover if you are willing to compensate good employees for what they are worth to hold on to them.

2. "Good,Bad and the ugly"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at WinSport Canada full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fun place to work
    great co workers

Cons

Management - Come and go and they feel like
    Lack of staffing
    Little staff training
    management had know clue what was going on most the time on the day
    always cutting staff early
    roster comes out when they feel like doing it, (3days before the new week if lucky)

3. "Good organization"

I worked at WinSport Canada full-time

Pros

Staff are generally very commited to the organization, the Olympic Legacy from 1988 is a strong motivating factor throughout the organization

Cons

Sometimes limits to budgets cause difficulties, as it is a not- for-profit organization

Advice to Management

Stay the course make sure you continnue to treat staff with respect and do nhot get to focused on administrative process, this can create issues with staff moral .

"Manager"

Former Employee - Alberta in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Alberta in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at WinSport Canada full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work, good culture, good on-hill benefits, great teams, benefits good. VERY different business but manageable.

Cons

seem to change their direction a lot, many departments still do not communicate enough with each other, everyone does not seem to have the team atmosphere in which they preach. Need to find the balance between sport and business, culture still needs work and have yet to figure this element out despite the new changes implemented.

Advice to Management

Some directors not engaged enough into their business, inspect what you expect, Executives are not involved enough in the business, do what you do 100% right and correct before you try to find ways to generate more revenue with small startups in different areas of the campus. Need to get a better understanding of the retention issues and take on recommended actions suggested by team members that are on the ground making the suggestions.

6. "poop"

Former Employee - Summer Sport Camp in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Summer Sport Camp in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at WinSport Canada full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

none there are no good perks of this job. You get a free lift pass which is sick but like...

Cons

long hours, holly is so disorganized and the activities are brutally put together

Advice to Management

GET ORGANIZED, get air conditioning in the tent it's intolerable when the weather is above 23 degrees celsius dudes

"Best job ever!"

Current Employee - Team Lead in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Pros

All the employees and management are amazing. I always feel as though my opinions are being heard, and I feel so included with everything going on in the park. They are always finding ways to boost employee moral with events, discounts, free lift passes, etc. Excellent room for advancement - I started in an entry-level position and within a month had been promoted to a management position. Now five months later, roles are shifting within my department and I am likely going to be promoted again.

Cons

Pay is lower than similar jobs, however WinSport in a non-profit organization. They make up for the lower pay with a great work atmosphere and employee perks here at the park.

Advice to Management

Management is exceptional. It is not like previous jobs I've had where you're taught to fear the management. They are all very friendly and you never feel as though you're beneath them.

8. "Had a great time"

Former Employee - Hockey and Skating Instructor in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Hockey and Skating Instructor in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at WinSport Canada part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are amazingly nice, friendly and kind. I had an absolute joy working at the arena and being a part of the team and I wish I could have remained there. The perks were great as well, even if I never took advantage of them.

Cons

The pay and hours weren't quite at a level where I could justify supporting myself just on working for WinSport alone. Attempts to work in additional departments or get extra work fell on deaf ears. Leadership was good, but not always consistent. Sometimes people who were more buddies with management got work over those that actually knew what they were doing.

Advice to Management

Perhaps hire less people, or people that you can dedicate longer hours and more pay to? Also maybe allow a way for employees to submit feedback in a way that they would be protected from their boss that is buddies with everyone else?

"Chaos and disorganization is the name of their game"

Former Employee - Server in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Server in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at WinSport Canada full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed the people I worked beside were awesome. Free ski pass is nice.

Cons

They under-value their employees by providing very little positive feedback. The pay system is messed...don't expect to be paid for overtime ever, and if you leave the company, make sure you kept track of your hours and don't expect to get paid on time. Also, there is such disorganization there. Trying to get a hold of someone in admin? Good luck!

Advice to Management

Communication!! I can't express it enough! The management doesn't appreciate enough the hard work the employees do. Make sure the employees are *paid on time*!!

"constant change of staff facilities getting better"

I worked at WinSport Canada full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

sports, recreation, people, location, athletes

Cons

Constant turnover of full time staff

"Poor"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Pros

Outdoors and in city do great location

Cons

Unstable management at the very top