Windsor Communities Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management not concerned about employees welfare unless it saves them a dollar or from being sued (in 10 reviews)

• Pay lags other management companies (in 3 reviews)

"One of the best in the industry and promising growth!"

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Edgewater, NJ
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Edgewater, NJ

I have been working at Windsor Communities full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I had the opportunity to interview and be offered positions with multiple different property management companies before accepting my position at Windsor, and after being with the company for a few months now, I know I made the right choice. From the start, I was impressed with Windsor’s hiring process. It is evident that they take it very seriously (4-5 interviews for an “entry level” job). This is because they truly hire from within. I have witnessed multiple different promotions already, one being why the position I applied for was open. They really invest in their employees and their growth. The training I have received and constant on-going training have been FANTASTIC! I had the opportunity to go to Massachusetts for hands on training as well, and already planning to again soon. Not only that, but they send their experts in different categories (software, customer service, etc.) to your onsite location to train with you all day. The regional trainer flew out of Boston to train with me one on one for two whole days! They really know how to make you feel special. They also pair you up with a mentor for your first 6 months that you constantly meet with to make sure you are on track for success. Everyone I have met within the company is truly AWESOME. I have never been at a company where I have met some of the most genuine, fun, and caring people. The culture here is not overly bureaucratic and job titles really don’t mean much, your input and suggestions matter and are taken into consideration. Many employees here have been with the company for 10+ years which is unheard of in the property management industry where turnover is very high. This was a huge selling point for me and why I ultimately chose to accelerate my career in the industry with Windsor. The salary and benefits were also highly competitive. I plan to stay with the company for a very long time considering there is room for growth.

Cons

Little to no cons that are outside of the industry standards. I wish Windsor had more properties in the metropolitan area/central jersey.

Advice to Management

Remain competitive and stay on top of the competition for your employees. I know a few employees who thought Windsor was the only company that offered the clothing allowance, however, this is not true. Competition is copying from the best and they just might take some of your employees if you don't stay vigilant. Management is excellent thus far, don't let constant growth change that.

"Maintenance Manager"

Former Employee - Maintenance Manager in Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Maintenance Manager in Hollywood, CA

I worked at Windsor Communities full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some properties are nice looking

Cons

Terrible upper management. Make promises then go back on their word. Ignore apt breakins. Request for time off are refused. Too much staff turn over in CA

3. "Leasing Agent"

Current Employee - Leasing Agent
    Current Employee - Leasing Agent

I have been working at Windsor Communities full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Comfortable work environment, Opportunity to grow, Great Pay!!

Cons

None so far, I love my career!

4. "Assistant Property Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Windsor Communities full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everything is "Windsorized" which I love because there is a checklist and a resource for every process that is done. This makes everything easy to be done by anyone, and everything tends to be organized and done the proper way, due to this. I do not feel like just another numbered employee with this company, and have worked for many big name property management groups where it did feel that way. I found that a lot of Windsor employees have 10+ years with Windsor and that alone speaks volumes. There are fun things like Employee Appreciation Week, and numerous ways to get extra bonuses and recognition which really keeps everyone inspired to do their best. I enjoy my team (even the ones not at my property) and really like coming to work. Windsor has nice properties and being the Owner and Manager makes things much better than being a 3rd party and having an Owner to get approvals for or answer to. Our top leaders listen to us and provide great support. This has been the best experience I have had with a Property Management group.

Cons

It seems over the last few months there has been issues with being understaffed at a few properties, but I know they are quickly working to resolve this issue.

Advice to Management

Listen to your on-site teams as they know best as to what is going on at the property on a day to day basis. Under-staffing is the quickest way to lose your best employees.

5. "Leasing Consultant job at Windsor is an amazing opportunity"

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Issaquah, WA
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Issaquah, WA

I have been working at Windsor Communities full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great schedule (although varies if you must have weekends off)
    Not every day is the same- so it wont get boring!
    Great pay and benefits- hourly plus commission plus bonuses
    After work hangouts
    Great training- mentorship program and training classes
    Career apparel gifted
    Opportunity to grow
    A lot of recognition company wide, yearly awards & company events.
    Ability to transfer communities

Cons

long hours on some days
    Some overtime .. but it's probably because you're leasing apartments so you're making money at the same time.

Advice to Management

I think all of these reviews vary based on the location and the community you're working for. The corporate company is very helpful, but I believe only you can decide if its the job for you based on the people you work with. I work with an amazing team of people.
    However everyone is different and I think it is based on your personality and if you want to work closely with others. Every community undergoes similar training, but I think most of these negative reviews could be because of the type of relationship they have with their coworkers, which is maybe something the company could work on, bettering relationships between you and your team.

6. "Leasing Consultant"

I have been working at Windsor Communities full-time

Pros

This company has amazing benefits and incentives. Training is ample. The onboarding process is turn key. There are many great things about the particular property I work at that I can brag about. The team I work with is engaged and cares about what they produce.

Cons

I hear culture will vary from property to property. It is based on luck of the draw as to where you apply.

7. "Great Team of Proffesionals"

Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Houston, TX

I have been working at Windsor Communities full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The hiring process was great! The transition was smooth as well. All the people that I have met and dealt with have been very professional and helpful. I would like to point out that the property I'm working at has a fairly new team. They are either new to their position or new to the company, and the company has done a great job with checking in with us making sure everything is running smoothly. I am happy to be part of this company.

Cons

Do not have any cons

8. "Don't be fooled by FREE apartment!"

Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Denver, CO

I worked at Windsor Communities full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Medical insurance. You will need it
    -I made it out alive

Cons

-No work life balance
    -On-Call WAY too much. Missed time with family and kids, strain on relationships, holidays, vacations, friends in town, etc. You life becomes this job.
    -Free apartment is not free. You get paid less to live on site, but they don't pay enough to live within the required 15 minutes to be on call.
    -They use on site apartment to take advantage of you. They consider you 'always available" and if you don't do what they want, they can fire you and you have 3 days to move out or you and your wife and kids will be homeless with no job.
    -Not enough maintenance guys to keep up with demands of the properties
    -50+ hours a week normally and still not caught up
    -Expect to be called out multiple times every night you are on call. It could be a 5 minute job, could be 5 hours. Then you have to get up and work another 8-10 hour shift and hopefully its not snowing because they don't contract that out.
    -Pay is still in the 90's.
    -Raises don't keep up with inflation. Work harder, Makes less every year
    -Upper management not concerned about employees welfare unless it saves them a dollar or from being sued.
    -They Triple rents and brag about the extra millions in profits but Employees and resident see little benefit besides superficial things like new tvs in the community room where no-one goes
    -Lots of maintenance guys getting hurt. Never seen so many guys go on workers comp and not come back. Reflection of workload and unrealistic expectations.
    -Your expected to be on call for indefinite amounts of time if someone is on workers comp. even if its a year, you will be on call for a year. Don't expect them to care about you missing your life
    -Pay is way too low for Denver in 2017. Min wage is going up faster than their raises.
    -30K was good wage in 1997, not today. Average wage in Colorado is 70K and a home is 400K.
    -A plumber,hvac,electrican,roofer, any skilled trade can make $30 hr easily but they expect you to do every trade for half of that.
    -Regional Maintenance Supervisor has no soul. I've seen so many employees cry working here.
    -Cant afford to ever buy a home, even if you did, you wouldn't have time to live there
    -Moving up is very political
    -Fire alarm going off all time in the middle of the night especially on weekends
    -Always getting called out from 10-3pm on Saturday for drunks running into the garages gates and breaking them. Then homeless people get in a break into cars
    -Residents have high expectations from paying so much in rent but upper management doesn't understand the toll on employees
    -Assistant manager told me she qualified for low income housing. Ironic the people who manage the place can't even manage to find a place to live for themselves.
    -My car got broken into 3 times in the secured garage thats not secure. Management didn't care, didn't offer to help.
    -At the end of the day, its all about the owners getting rich
    -The Trickle up economic theory. Studies show these big companies are making record profits but wages have been stagnant. They had an employee appreciation even to tell us they have 11 billion in buying power...and the employees get a flimsy paper "GOOD JOB" certificate. Job well done, owners have new Porches, I get to unclog peoples DOO-DOO all day.

Advice to Management

-Pay fair wages. Think about the people who are the face of your company.
    -Treat employees with respect and dignity.
    -Contract on- call or hire a guy just for emergencies. You will eventually lose maintenance guys once they are burnt out after a year or 2.
    -Contract out snow removal. Thats LANDSCAPING.
    -Give every employee (EVEN OFFICE STAFF) free apartments and not cut their pay for it.
    -Give enough vacation time to maintenance guys since we are on call half of our life and miss out on so much.
    -Make minimum pay for on-call. It is NOT worth 15 minutes of pay ( maybe 3 dollars after tax) to drop your life to change a smoke alarm battery. Any skilled professional will charge 100-150 just to show up.
    -Treat people the way you would want to be treated. If you want employees to give 100%, the company needs to give 100%. Not try to take advantage of them at every corner.

Windsor Communities Response

Sep 7, 2017 – Director of Recruitment

We are very sorry to hear that your experience was negative and are very concerned with your comments. We encourage you to contact Human Resources as we are dedicated to addressing situations that... More

9. "maintenance"

I worked at Windsor Communities full-time

Pros

great people, respect for all employess

Cons

don't follow up on hiring process

Advice to Management

follow up with new hires and don't just pick your friends to work for you

"Great Company, Needs More Growth Opportunities"

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Windsor Communities full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Expectations are clear and the training is there for you, just sign up! The properties, even if older, are very well maintained, making it an easy sell. I always felt valued as an employee. The commission structure and hourly pay is better than most other companies. The benefits are better too, $1000 a year to buy new clothes! Yes, working weekends is a must, but most properties have shorter hours which is nice. They offer more paid holidays than most companies. I always felt like the employee & the customer were most valued with Windsor, more than the dollar.

Cons

Smaller company, means not a lot of room for promotions. Properties are few and not too close to each other, which is hard if you want to work at one property and live at another. There is some favoritism, but also opportunities for those who work hard. They don't fire people. This is also a good aspect, but if you have a bad employee in your team it takes a long time to get rid of them, if you ever do.

Advice to Management

Build more communities and watch out for favoritism.