Windsor Communities Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

Pros
  • Yearly raises and opportunity for advancement, especially since they are acquiring new properties/building new ones all the time (in 5 reviews)

• They promote from within most of the time and provide great training (in 7 reviews)

Cons

"Windsor Communities is a great company."

Former Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Miramar, FL
    Former Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Miramar, FL

I worked at Windsor Communities full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work on newer properties. Great benefits. Corporate Office Staff has been there for years and are all great people. The owner and CEO are approachable. Free apartment if you are on call.

Cons

On call every other week. Being such a great company no one ever leaves, therefore no room for advancement. Currently trying to do more with less, so if someone does leave they don't rehire that position unless it is a site level position.

Advice to Management

I really don't have any advice for management. I loved working for Windsor and would not have left if there were advancement opportunities.

2. "Leasing Consultant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Windsor Communities full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Overall a great entry level job. Depending on which property you work you have opportunity to make good money, and there is typically a lot of opportunity for growth within the company!

Cons

I currently work at a small property, so our availability is low. This means my opportunity for sales is also low, and I do not make great money because of that. The company is also very formal, and you do need to wear business professional attire. The hours are long, and Leasing Consultants are expected to work weekends.

Advice to Management

Honestly the base rate should be a bit higher, especially depending on which property you are at and which state you work in. It doesn't seem fair to me to have my base rate in Washington State be the same as our minimum wage, while in other locations like Denver that is actually a great rate.

"Terrible Bosses"

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Windsor Communities (More than a year)

Pros

The communities are beautiful and well maintained

Cons

An egotistical maniac runs the West Coast division. He surrounds himself with women who will do his bidding and does not tend to promote men. Beware. You are either in the pretty /cool crowd or you are out or never hired /promoted regardless of skill set.

Advice to Management

Explore West Coast leadership.

5. "Amazing Company with Talented Teams"

Current Employee - Property Manager in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Windsor Communities full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company culture is hands down the best part of this company. The Regional Teams visit the sites often to encourage and support them. There are annual holiday parties where tons of gifts are raffled off. I have won amazing prizes over the years. There are bi-annual awards ceremonies that recognize the teams and all of their hard work. The managers and maintenance supervisors get to go on an annual conference to a different city where we are wined, dined, and appreciated. As a woman in the workforce, I have sincerely appreciated the fierce and smart woman that are above me. The upper management and corporate headquarters is filled with brilliant and hardworking women that are supportive and genuine. There is an appreciation for outspoken and bold choices that make a difference and your opinion is definitely valued in this company.

Cons

The downside mainly comes in the schedule. The days can be long. 8:45AM to 6:00PM Monday through Friday. Often too busy to take a real lunch break.

Advice to Management

Continue the culture. It is the best part of this company. The trips, the ceremonies, the acknowledgment on a weekly to annual basis keeps the teams going.

"Good Start"

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant

I have been working at Windsor Communities full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent Pay and a good starting point for a career in Property Management. I enjoy working in the smaller office setting. Good Benefits and Rent Discount. Hours and scheduling is pretty good also. Company events.

Cons

Very little opportunities for advancement unless you are one of the "higher up" favorites. Promotions don't seem to be given fairly or based on merit. You get raises/promotions etc. if you are willing to suck up, not based on your actual work.

Advice to Management

Consistency. Practice what you preach. Create advancement plans for employees so they know what they are working for. It is very easy to get complacent.

"Do your research before choosing this company."

Former Employee - Property Management in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Property Management in Houston, TX

I worked at Windsor Communities full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is consistent with other Class A Luxury Properties. Benefits are competitive with other large property management companies. Clothing allowance is a definite plus.

Cons

Very unprofessional work environment. Very political and sometimes hostile. You are encouraged to voice your opinions but if divisional level or higher disagree beware this is a slippery slope. Divisional and PMs are like puppets on a string changing directions constantly. The properties are considered Class A Luxury but do not compare to others who are considered comps. You will be baited with stories of a few employees who have been with the company 15 years or more. Beware. Those are few and far between. Don't let the pay fool you. 60 hours plus is the norm. Do the math the pay isn't worth the stress. I have worked for several property management companies and this is by far one of the worst experiences in my career. High stress and at times a very demoralizing environment.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees and they will take care of you. Eliminate the fraternization between upper management as well as the politics in the office.

"Hiring and Employment Retention"

Pros

Competitive compensation, continuous training and development, privately owned company. Ability for promotion within due to high turnover.

Cons

No work life balance at all. Favoritism with property managers to regional management that is noticeable to other staff members. Unattainable goals set by area and regional management on properties to achieve. Hiring decisions made due to favoritism rather than actual skills and cohesive working environment of staff already on site. Upper management is known for "shot gun" termination; providing no warning, no probation of staff. No job security due to "shot gun" style of termination.

Advice to Management

Communication to your lower tiers of employees is important. Making decisions without providing knowledge causes chaos. Listen to lower tiers of employees to receive feedback on areas of improvement or concern of staff.

9. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Windsor Communities full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good opportunity for advancement, friendly and accessible managers and regional team, very fair compensation and benefits plan.

Cons

Longer office hours than other companies I've worked out. Residents appreciate the longer office hours, though.

10. "Caring Company"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Windsor Communities full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunities for advancement, caring managers and regional team, very good benefits program. I've worked for multiple management companies in different parts of the country, and Windsor is absolutely the best.

Cons

Windsor has longer office hours than some other management companies, which means longer working hours. This is a benefit to residents, though.

11. "Great Company"

Pros

Lots of Opportunity working for Windsor Communities

Cons

Understaffed, can be stressful at times

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!