Windstream Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Windstream President and CEO Tony Thomas
Tony Thomas

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work/life balance is great depending on your manager and" (in 37 reviews)

• "It is nice to be able to work from home and have a 2 minute commute" (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • "Lower management changes their plans faster than upper management" (in 63 reviews)

• "Employees with little to no work ethic could carve out a low effort niche for themselves and artificially inflate their worth" (in 15 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Enterprise Senior Account Director"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I have been working at Windstream full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very flexible to build territory playing to your strengths, especially in verticals and enterprise accounts. Offers hot new offers and even new markets like retail. Excellent recruiting and awesome new hire program. They care!

Cons

Too new, have not really found any.

Advice to Management

Keep up the support, it feels great to have their full attention on all opporutnies we need them for.

Nov 1, 2018 – Windstream-TA Team

Success is what we all strive for and we are glad you are finding that with Windstream. We thank you for your review and look forward to you continuing to be part of our success.

"Windstream Tech"

Current Employee - Technician in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Technician in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Windstream full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good people to work with. Pay is comparable with AT&T. 401k match.

Cons

Health insurance SUCKS !!!!! No training after initial hiring. A LOT of broken promises from upper management.

Advice to Management

Create some type of standard. Techs are not trained properly to do their jobs. Quit laying people off and sending jobs overseas. Treat the people that work 300-400 hours of OT a year for this company with a little more respect.

Nov 20, 2018 – Windstream-TA Team

Thank you for sharing your experience. One of the Windstream core values is Respect. We promote the sharing of new ideas & opinions while embracing an atmosphere of teamwork and trust. Talking to... More

3. "Company On the Rebound"

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at Windstream full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Managers working hard to make the best of what they're given. Windstream is a rebounding company that will come out of the telecom slump a stronger more agile company.

Cons

Negative Public perception. Knowledge-base leaks have reached critical level. Becoming heavily leveraged in overseas reliance for key support roles.

Advice to Management

Shore-up your Core support teams. Compensation plans are severely below-average . Dwindling headcount and knowledge hemorrhages have depleted a critically needed brain-trust that was once a leading-edge tech provider. Focus on Top-Level recruitment if you want Top-Level results.

Nov 20, 2018 – Windstream-TA Team

Seeking out opportunities to improve is a core function at Windstream. We embrace agility and act in a way that embraces change for the better. Your feedback is important, and we appreciate you... More

4. "Strategic Accounts"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR

I worked at Windstream full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Comp Plan was decent when I was there !

Cons

Comp plan changed that's why I'm not there !

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees or you'll lose the talent

Nov 20, 2018 – Windstream-TA Team

Thank you for writing your review. As a People Powered organization we strive to invest in, develop and recognize excellence in our team as best we can. Our employees are very valuable to us, and... More

5. "Solutions Architect"

I worked at Windstream full-time

Pros

Worked from home, co-workers were friendly

Cons

Management tried to help you but never could.

6. "Not as good as it used to be"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Windstream full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My colleagues and my managers are great people to work with. I love my job, and what I do, but the negatives now seem to outweigh the positives.

Cons

I used to love coming to work everyday, but lately it is such a daunting experience namely because of several reasons. One, I am a great worker, or so I am told. I do the work of five people in my department, and I get paid for one. I have attempted to apply outside my department multiple times for multiple positions, and have never received any interviews or offers. Within the last year, I have applied for eight positions, I interviewed for one. I got rejected, and was told I didn’t have enough experience despite the fact that I met and beat the qualifications that were met. It is like no matter what I do I can never catch a break. I get upset, and when I ask for feedback, I get no response. I am told to not give up because good things happen to those who wait. I have been in my department for over three and a half years.
    Two, if you are a great worker they will bog you down with work. If you do not get it done, then you will get in trouble. I, along with others on my team, have been threatened with verbal warnings, and some with future write ups, if things weren’t done. If you ask for help then it makes you look weak. Three, there is such nepotism and favoritism with this company. More than I have ever seen with any other company. People get promoted who do not deserve it. These people are the boss’ favorite, and the family members of some. If you ask workers many could tell you stories. The same people are given the same promotions for job opportunities that they do not deserve. They simply do not meet the qualifications. I am avidly looking for other companies because of the lack of opportunities

Advice to Management

Favoritism and nepotism. You promote people who do not deserve it, and leave those behind who want to get ahead. You question why people leave. Benefits are horrible.

Nov 20, 2018 – Windstream-TA Team

We’re sorry to hear of your disappointment with the pay/benefits Windstream offers. We're always looking to improve our offerings to our employees as we consider them to be our greatest asset. But we... More

7. "Declining work climate."

Former Employee - Business Systems Technician II in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Business Systems Technician II in Omaha, NE

I worked at Windstream full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Windstream of the Midwest was a fair place to work, benefits were good if you were part of a bargaining unit.

Cons

Non bargaining employees did not have as many benefits offered. Burn out of long term employees was occurring due to attrition and no new employees being hired. Seniority structure favored those nearing retirement and did not allow those that had been there even 20 years the chance for Holiday times without on call or vacation time.

Advice to Management

Encourage more sales in the competitive markets by treating them as separate business ventures. Have Local operations for each of the clec units that focus on selling and promoting services exclusively in their markets.

8. "Financial Analyst"

I worked at Windstream full-time

Pros

It used to be a good company to work for.

Cons

The company has struggled financially and has a long history of employee layoffs.

9. "Loving things so far..."

Current Employee - Client Account Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Client Account Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Windstream full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work environment is mainly based on production, which is pretty common for a sales job. It seems as though they truly understand that you need time to get accustomed to what the role entails before they require too much of you. They have so many benefits available to employees. They are a very stable company who takes care of their employees and there are some people who have worked there for almost a decade. That’s how you know they are doing something right. The upper management team is a breath of fresh air. Peers are always there to help. I really have no negatives this far.

Cons

It seems as though there is a lot of information to take in when beginning the role which is to be expected with most sales roles

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Nov 8, 2018 – Windstream-TA Team

10. "Good job"

Current Employee - Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Windstream full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I love the group of people I work with

Cons

I wish the insurance had copays

Advice to Management

Pay people for what they are worth.

Nov 8, 2018 – Windstream-TA Team