Windstream Reviews | Glassdoor

Windstream President & CEO Anthony (
Anthony (

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"Stay away. Stay far, far away."

Former Employee - Network Engineer in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in Little Rock, AR

I worked at Windstream full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Team mates were good people. Low level management was great. No micromanaging on either team.

Cons

Layoffs are a way of life. Laid off 3 times in under a year. Employees are tossed out like trash on a monthly, sometimes weekly basis. CEO is clueless. He was the CFO that conveniently just slid over into the CEO spot when the last one was canned. He clearly has no earthly idea what he's doing.

All employees lost their annual merit raises this year. Well, all employees except VPs and above who not only kept their raises, but bonus as well. Definitely an "elite 1%" feeling. Low level employees are not valued at all. Saw many engineers have to quit or change teams to get a raise.

Stay far away from Windstream. You won't last long enough for even a halfway decent resume entry. This company will likely fail and go bankrupt in the next 5 years. They are absorbing other companies, including their massive debt, while laying off all of their experienced engineers.

This shows in the quality of their network. Oversubscribed and overutilized routers. Ancient legacy equipment still in use. Outdated protocols and technology still in use. Customers nation wide are upset because their service is garbage. And the above explains why.

But hey, at least the VPs got to keep their quarterly bonus and executive trips, paid for by the blood, sweat, and tears of the engineers and lower end employees.

Advice to Management

Fire your CEO. Get someone who knows telecommunications, especially MODERN telco.

STOP laying off your experienced engineers. You're now hiring people off the streets that have no formal education or experience in networking and don't even understand PPPoE or RBE (looking at you, LP).

You're being blacklisted by recruiters due to your revolving door layoffs. All of the local area talent now knows to stay away. This is the bleeding out that will cause your company to fail.

But hey, at least VPs got to keep their bonuses.

Windstream Response

Jul 5, 2017 – Human Resource

Thank you for your feedback.

"Senior BI Data Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Windstream full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

100% Telecommute and the pay is above average. Management is pretty nice, however, very "hands off" with employees.

Cons

No job security. The company is always doing massive layoffs and the severance plans are mediocre.

Advice to Management

Personally, I do not know any of the Winstream managers, however, I think the company needs to get up par with more streamlined technologies

"A VERY DISHONEST COMPANY- TERRIBLE MANAGERS"

Current Employee - Desktop Support Technician in Twinsburg, OH
    Current Employee - Desktop Support Technician in Twinsburg, OH

I have been working at Windstream full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get a paycheck every two weeks. We are promised gift cards if we post positive company reviews on this site, go for a beer at lunch and it's ok, just don't come back to work drunk, starting times not taken serious, half hour late is cool as long as you are tight with the boss.

Cons

PLENTY OF LAY OFFS because of the drop in stock price. I work in IT so I can only tell you what happens in my dept, other depts might be better or worse. Terrible dishonest managers, favor younger workers. My manger and his director work hard to harass and run out older workers. No help from HR, they are very dishonest and in many ways corrupt. The worse health insurance we have ever seen, pay raises now eliminated yet the CEO and his crew still pulling down nice bonuses at the employees expense. Did I mention the layoffs? those are daily and mostly target the older higher paid employees and minorities. A long time worker went home to be with the Lord several months ago because he could no longer afford his heart medicines because of the terrible insurance, what do you have to say about that Mr CEO? you still get your bonus??? We lie to our customers, tell them they will get internet speeds we KNOW we can't deliver, have them sign a contract then don't let them out of the contract when they find out they were cheated.

Advice to Management

WIN is a terrible place to work and even worse company to do business with. IF you are considering using our services consider yourself warned, you WILL get ripped off.
    I have devoted my life to warning people not to use our services, if I can spare only one person from being a victim of this companies dishonest practices I will be happy.
    Should you come to work at WIN my advice would be do as little as you need to, and remember you are only there for a paycheck. I only wish there were more hours in the day for me to stick it to the CEO and the shareholders.

"No Work Life Balance"

Current Employee - Datacenter Technician in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Datacenter Technician in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Windstream full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing I can think off.

Cons

No company direction, Tons of layoffs, no work life balance

Advice to Management

Sell out to competent company

"Run as quickly as you can...if you are in CLEC territory"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Windstream full-time (More than a year)

Pros

peers do try and help you out

Cons

everything else. products that don't work, redundant products. pricing, support.

Advice to Management

dump middle management and start over. quit buying companies that offer the very same product and perhaps expand into new areas.

"I Hate My Life"

Current Employee - Network Analyst in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Network Analyst in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Windstream full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Every two weeks, the law requires them to pay me. Some decent co-workers. The money is ok for Greenville, but not worth your soul.

Cons

BTAC is just a miserable place to be. Corporate recruiters and even management make it sound like a technical role at first. A poorly trained monkey could do most of this job, and non trained monkeys could manage those monkeys. Sometimes, that's about what it feels like. This place is a call center of the worst variety. Company policies leave room for laziness and shortcuts. Training is an issue across departments. "It's not my problem" or "That's another department's issue" is our catch phrase. Accountability and ownership are non existent. Management is oblivious. I'd say 40% of the employees here are passively looking for work elsewhere, and another 50% are actively putting out resumes and interviewing elsewhere. The 10% are the few mgmt favorites that dodge a lot of the worst parts of this job, but hey, you'll have that issue at most jobs. There's some HR complaints to be made in there somewhere as well, but with this company, good luck. This place is a joke to work for, despite attempts to convince you otherwise. Between the staff manager and some of his lackeys, there is some downright shady stuff that goes on. Your shifts will change every few months based on a broken performance system, you will be punished for sick days, and you will be micro managed daily. They've been working on the windows for what seems like forever. I'm convinced they are resealing them so no one jumps through them. A little dramatic, but really, this place is down right depressing and will do little to help you advance an an employee as well as kill your home life. You can make recommendations for improvements, but they will fall on deaf ears. Even small, easy suggested changes are ignored. They keep trying to sell a corporate culture that doesn't exist. You'll have meetings with different levels of mgmt where they pretend to listen. Sometimes they even write stuff down. Nothing changes; well it does, but never for the better. Then when things break down, you'll find them running in circles like headless chickens. "What is going on? How could we have known?" If it didn't have such a negative affect on my day to day, it would be comical. All in all, just stay away unless you have no other option. If you want to get into IT/Networking get your certs and avoid this god awful place.

Advice to Management

Clean house mgmt wise

"Network Analyst I"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Windstream full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's not a ton of good to say. The benefits used to be ok, but they are getting worse every year. The amount of PTO you get is pretty good. There is some pretty decent, albeit equally disgruntled people here. This is a stepping stone if you're desperate, nothing more.

Cons

The work environment in BTAC is miserable. The work in and of itself is not difficult, but the issues within the company and with mgmt make everyday a nightmare. The atmosphere is somewhat similar to that overzealous substitute teacher you had in high school. You will be doing a ton of unnecessary busy work that could be avoided, while being hawked and hassled for doing things like talking to your co-workers, taking some extra time to correctly fix an issue, or even going to the bathroom. The difference is you have 6-10 substitute teachers monitoring you. You will be talked down to and treated like a child by management unless you are in of their special circles. Management spends very little time understanding what their employees are actually doing. They monitor you by vague codes you have to select every time you change "activities". Most of the day you spend your time trying to balance these codes in a way that you can avoid being hassled. Management cares very little about your opinions; the issues I saw when I first got here are still just as bad if not worse today. You will have unrealistic expectations placed on you, and if you excel, they will give you more responsibility such as training new people or special projects. These extra responsibilities hurt your "production metric" which they use to evaluate and rank you, and come with no pay raise or promotion. This becomes important during quarterly shift bids and annual reviews where you can receive a lucrative and amazing 1% raise. Try not to spend it all in one place. Most departments throughout the company are understaffed, under trained, mismanaged, and miserable. Mandatory OT comes with little notice or little regard for life outside of work. Much of the equipment and processes are way behind the curve. Despite all of this, leadership is constantly pushing this ideal of the "BTAC Family" and how its such an amazing and positive atmosphere. I can't tell if its delusion, ignorance, or both. There's even some HR issues in this department, but I'd rather not get into that. Just know that this place will do very little for your career, your happiness, and your bank account.

Advice to Management

Quit playing favorites. Fight for your employees. Quit being "yes men". Learn how to lead. Understand what your employees do each day. You know, basic management stuff.

"A Total Mess"

Former Employee - Network Analyst in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Network Analyst in Greenville, SC

I worked at Windstream full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are ok, and the compensation is satisfactory......at first. This is a good place to get your foot in the door in the networking world. If you are here more than a year, that's a bad thing though. A lot of the technologies you work with are outdated and of little help when considering future employment. The work you do at a basic level is not terrible, although it can be repetitive and mind numbing.

Cons

I could write a book. If you hear BTAC in your interview, run for the hills. If you are reading this, and its less than a month old, know that they are hiring 40 contractors with the intent of firing you in a few months. Management treats every employee as if they are "some dumb kid out of college" who has never held a job before, which is not the case. They have to constantly "remind" you how great the department is and how nobody ever leaves. When they said that no less than 5 times in my first month, I should've taken a hint. Management is so out of touch it's astounding. Most of the understaffed work force there is underpaid and undervalued. You could bring up an obvious solution with easy implementation, and you'll get nothing but blank stares from management. The last 3 staff managers left in under a year. Their solution? They picked the most incompetent manager in my department and promoted him. That same manager is notorious for picking favorites and hiring his friends, as well as treating the married women of the office very inappropriately. A couple of the managers have that issue to be honest. He literally said in a meeting that he is good friends with most of HR so good luck reporting him. He also plugs his side gig day 1. In one of my first meetings he mentioned that he begrudgingly hired my group despite our lack of certifications. He would later shamelessly plug his "school" he runs on the side. If you go to his "school" for training, Windstream pays the "school" (him), so he can double dip that way. They just let 20 percent of their experienced work force leave, while demanding more of those who stayed. Management is constantly creating and working off of numbers and graphs that they themselves created and skewed to look better to their superiors. There were so many red flags at this place along the way, I should've known better. You will be micro managed and constantly hassled here. Every 2 weeks, something is introduced that will make your life exponentially worse. You're only hope for peace in this department is to be of a certain race, to catch the eye of a certain manger, attend a certain aforementioned "school", or to go jogging with another manager 2-3 times a week and buddy up that way. I'm not kidding. I just can't reiterate enough how much you don't want to work here. The company as a whole is terrible; I learned this because we interacted with so many different departments. The metrics are broken, the customer comes last in every situation, daily outages, random mandatory OT, layoffs most years. Management is constantly blaming the work force for low numbers and running in circles every time the work load spikes (even though it spikes for obvious reasons at the the same times each year). Instead of improving processes, they come up with new tools to further monitor you on an individual level. This rant may not be cohesive, but everything I've mentioned above and more is 100 percent true of BTAC. I understand a lot of these things happen at a lot of jobs; this was not my first job. Every job will have favoritism and mismanagement at some point, but I haven't experienced it on that level before. If this post keeps one person from applying or working at Windstream, it was worth it. If Robert Half or Apex or whomever calls you with a "great opportunity as a Network Analyst in Greenville", hang up the phone, delete the email, change your address, etc. I've actually known some who have left this company only receive negative feedback about Windstream in their interviews with other companies.

Advice to Management

Quit. Resign. Demote yourself. Take a leadership course. Move somewhere where anyone that has worked for you will never have to deal with you again. Turn yourself in to HR. Stop flirting with married women.

"Confused Operations without"

Former Employee - Virtualization Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Virtualization Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Windstream full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to learn a variety of technologies in a variety of use cases.

Cons

Little work-life balance in Operations.

No/Little respect for automation or scalability of services.

Chain of management/communication is rigid and empire-building / military-like.

Compensation structure comparative to pole-driving ISPs instead of Datacenter work.

"Priorities incorrect"

Former Employee - Network Analyst in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Network Analyst in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Windstream full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They supplied us with coffee.

Cons

The management I had were less than stellar. Direct managers did not stick up for employees for fear of being fired. Upper management crushed anyone who disagreed with them.

Advice to Management

Start looking out for your employees and customers again. The bottom line isn't everything.