Windstream Reviews | Glassdoor

Windstream President & CEO Anthony (
Anthony (

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management seems to change with every new acquisition with (in 50 reviews)

• Sales job sometimes crosses over into customer service but most of the time focusing on Sales (in 25 reviews)

"Aimless Leadership"

Former Employee - Engineering in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Windstream (More than 10 years)

Pros

Quick to adopt new technology

Cons

Revolving door in senior leadership, constant changes in focus and direction. The company seems to be searching for a personality.

Advice to Management

Make a plan and stick with it for more than a month. You are loosing good talent and customer confidence with the aimless shuffling about.

2. "AEII"

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Windstream full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great directors and below, good internal and external folks about the only shining spot on this turd

Cons

Layoffs with more coming
    no clear directions from

3. "Account Manager"

I worked at Windstream full-time

Pros

Nice teammates to work with

Cons

Not much focus on customers

4. "Going downhill since Fall 2016"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Windstream full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great employee discount if you're in a Windstream area.
    Close to restaurants for lunch time... That's all I can really think of.... Personally. Love my supervisor and the hiring manager at the time I started.

Cons

Inexperienced floor manager.
    Lots of favoritism. Only way to move up if you have connections.
    Mandatory overtime when it's not busy. Lots of calls that aren't routed to the incorrect department.
    Departments all are disconnected between one another.
    Lots of demand on sales and quota when there's no opportunity.
    Commission and bonus getting lower and difficult to meet or exceed.
    Irresponsible and unfair towards customers.
    No career opportunities unless you have close relationship with a superior.
    Lists goes on....

Advice to Management

More experienced management needed that knows the company and systems and process. Listen more to employees.

5. "Director"

Current Employee - Director in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Director in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Windstream full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Large footprint to work in
    Diversity in departments

Cons

High deductible insurance
    Layoffs every 6 months

Advice to Management

Find the path for the company and stick to the plan and execute it along with change management for the employees

6. "WindStream's Future Formally EarthLink"

I have been working at Windstream full-time

Pros

The Co-workers and local management are great people. The work is learned through Tribal Knowledge. It feels like family (both good and bad).

Cons

Leadership beyond the local management seem to make all their decisions in a vacuum with no real world experience to back their choices. This creates folly for the future of business and employee satisfaction.

Advice to Management

Stop the insane move of services off shore. Direct to Tech is the greatest mistake I have ever seen a company use. This just drives away great technicians.

"Customer Care"

I have been working at Windstream full-time

Pros

The people who work there are some of the best I've met in in my life.

Cons

There are good managers at Windstream, but it's kind of a crap shoot. I have a good manager now, but I've worked for some horrible managers in the past. HR does nothing to help employees and reporting issues up the chain does no good. Windstream makes it very clear that their employees don't matter. The only thing they care about is making money. If that means putting a product on the market that hasn't been fully tested and isn't completely ready, they don't care. All that matters is that the product can be sold and bring in revenue. If it doesn't work that's just too bad for the customer. The group that's supposed to handle repair issues doesn't get nearly enough training and they've recently been told that they can't even ask abusive customers to not curse at them. They just have to sit and take it. Every department is overworked, underpaid and stretched to the limit.

Advice to Management

Start treating your employees like human beings, not numbers. First and most importantly it's the right thing to do. Second, you will get much better results treating people with respect.

8. "Windstream needs some direction"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Windstream full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a fast paced company wanting to do the right things to grow.

Cons

No consistent direction from the C-Level execs, it seemed to change every time the stock price went down. Very poor communication from management, they are all about themselves and making sure of their individual careers. Was surveyed 10+ times in 2 years, eventually just gave them the answers they wanted to hear, it wasn't worth being honest about what the real issues were. The company culture is whacked, management is not in synch with what they publish.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to be everything to everyone. Focus on the employees instead of your individual pocketbooks. Pick a strategy and stay with that, stop reinventing yourselves every time the market changes. Move over if you are in the way.

"What's the long term plan?"

I have been working at Windstream full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I am not sure how to start. It's a job, a job that will never end. It's going to keep you on your toes and you will always be learning new things.

Cons

Where to start? Low pay. In my field, with my experience I'm grossly underpaid. Why? No raises. No promotions. The EarthLink merger brought in lots of good talent. But political games were played. People were laid off because of it. Staff were told one reason today and tomorrow it's a different reason.

Management is hit or miss. People who were replaced by EarthLink people were kept if they had a high enough position, not out of need. Rather than let them go they would rather cut 2 or 3 others.

Windstream has IT equipment and networks dating back to before Windstream. Now we purchased EarthLink and bring more chaos to the chaos. Teams working to reduce the clutter and duplicity are under staffed and over worked.

Buildings are the absolute cheapest they can find. We have zones in the building were people are wearing gloves inside during the winter while others in the same building could wear shorts it's so warm. Insects such as bees are frequently reported, inside. Some people have to wear jackets and blankets in the summer, even though they sit next to the window.

Poor benefits, though 401k is decent. Healthcare is horrible. Some managers are easy going. Fun people but low morale. Did I mention that the on-call cellphone stipend was cut? Not reduced. Cut.

Advice to Management

Resign. Get younger, fresh blood. Show all employees your appreciation, not just Little Rock. Do you ever visit the other buildings and meet with the departments? Do you realize people have stinging insects in the building? Employees want to be proud of their office. We aren't.

10. "It's a job"

I have been working at Windstream full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's a job. Weekends off.

Cons

Management has no clue what employees do. They treat employees horribly. No communication between management & employees. No overtime, so if you work over, you better not put on time card. Yet, you have to work it.