Wingspan Portfolio Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Steven Horne

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management threw money around like they had it (in 10 reviews)

• This led to poor management due to lack of knowledge regarding servicing platforms and software used (in 8 reviews)

1. "Your worst nightmare come true."

Former Contractor - Modification Conversion Processor in Melbourne, FL
    Former Contractor - Modification Conversion Processor in Melbourne, FL

I worked at Wingspan Portfolio as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work was easy and the compensation was excellent. Some of the employees were nice and very knowledgeable. Certain employees were willing to help newer employees with the day to day tasks.

Cons

Team leads and managers were hired into the company instead of promoting within. This led to poor management due to lack of knowledge regarding servicing platforms and software used. Basically the employees knew how to process the work more efficiently than the managers. If you do not mind working 10 to 12 hour days than this is the company for you. Of course with all corporations communication between upper managemwnt, middle management and employees left something to be desired. Building closed its doors in Melbourne and gave the employees 2 weeks notice. The place was dreadful. Some of the employees were "cliquey."

Advice to Management

You need to learn how to run a successful business in which the companies owner and founder is not fired due to mismanagement of money. In addition, you would benefit from treating your employees with care and compassion.

2. "They are bankrupt for a reason"

Current Employee - Customer Assistance Specialist in Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Assistance Specialist in Melbourne, FL

Pros

Great pay
    great direct manager
    pretty good office environment (co-workers)
    break room
    pool table

Cons

Lack of structure
    Lack of support from management
    No opportunities to advance to new roles

Advice to Management

Put your employee first

3. "Analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne, FL

I worked at Wingspan Portfolio (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very nice people to work with

Cons

Traning was just horrible .All over the place.

Advice to Management

Be honest

"A Cautionary Tale - If I could give zero stars, I would."

Former Employee - Remediatioin/Modification Analyst in Melbourne, FL
    Former Employee - Remediatioin/Modification Analyst in Melbourne, FL

I worked at Wingspan Portfolio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

New coffee and vending machines in the break room.

Cons

Sadly, pretty much everything else.

Advice to Management

Don't run your new company (Agility 360) into the ground like you did Wingspan Portfolio Advisors.

I did not choose to work for WPA. I was a JPMorgan Chase employee and, when Chase transferred ownership of our site to WPA, we all had the option to quit or become WPA employees. At first, it was not bad. I still did the same work with the same people on the same systems but instead of being an employee of Chase, I was a Chase 'consultant' employed by WPA.

And then came the payroll errors. The first round happened because WPA decided to switch to a new payroll system before testing it. The new system crashed and burned and they couldn't get back to the old system quickly. For a few weeks, we kept track of our hours on spreadsheets. Even when we got back on the original payroll system, vacation hours weren't paid in a timely manner and the balances of our vacation time would change for no apparent reason. I know of one person who did not receive a paycheck one Friday; they just 'forgot' to pay her. Even though they managed to cut her check the following Tuesday, in my mind, such an error is inexcusable. WPA also had a bad habit of deducting funds from employee paychecks for insurance, 401k, etc and then not sending the money to the company in question. I ran into that problem myself in January 2015. When I tried to file a surgery claim with my supplemental insurance, I found out that the insurance company hadn't been paid in 8 months and my coverage was cancelled. It took about 3 months and 3 members of senior management to get it corrected. The typical HR response to any issue varied from indifference to outright hostility. When WPA accidentally increased my vacation balance by 20 hours, it took 2 months and 3 emails to get that fixed, even though the error was in their favor.

WPA has a whole laundry list of other flaws as well; a basic internet search will turn up all those tales of woe. In late 2014, a number of executives were forced to leave the company. The idea was to make a fresh start, repair WPA's image, and turn the corporate culture around. But the efforts were too little, too late.

Wingspan Portfolio Advisors filed chapter 7 bankruptcy in July 2015 and really no longer exists as a company. So why bother to write a review? Because a number of the executives who were forced out in late 2014 are now executives at other companies, such as Agility 360. Many of these people laid the groundwork for the failure of WPA and they are in positions to do it all again. And even if they have learned their lessons, there are plenty more people out there like them.

I have always believed that if you do your best for your employer and prove your value, then good things will happen. But, sadly, that is not always true. There are certain warning signs that shouldn't be ignored. In hindsight, I think that some of those payroll "errors" may have been a symptom of a company scrounging for money. I still have every intention of doing my best for my future employers but I have learned that all the loyalty in the world will not save a sinking ship. And, if your employer has no loyalty to you, no one will even throw you a life ring.

6. "Crash and Burn"

Former Employee - Quality Specialist II/Data Analyst in Melbourne, FL
    Former Employee - Quality Specialist II/Data Analyst in Melbourne, FL

I worked at Wingspan Portfolio (More than a year)

Pros

It was a steady paycheck.

Cons

The overall environment was: you must maintain a 100% quality on all aspects of your daily data entry input or be fired and you are not going through enough files per day. Work Faster and Do Not make any mistakes. Employees were expected to do this with little to no training, extremely rudimentary tools that required multiple repetitive keystrokes. There is no upper or even lateral movement within Wingspan. You are a contract/temp worker.

Advice to Management

Rethink your business model. It is unsustainable as proven by the bankruptcy and closure of the business.

7. "This is not a company, its a joke"

Former Employee - Senior Underwriter in Melbourne, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Underwriter in Melbourne, FL

Pros

7 minute window when clocking into work. There are no pro's because JPM Chase was really paying my salary not wingspan. If it was up to them, they would pay minimum wage.

Cons

Very poor management, no appreciation towards hard working employees. upper management dictated to the managers they were required to pay for the meat for our thanksgiving luncheon while employees were required to bring sides. What does that tell you? That is just one example

Advice to Management

too late, company closed down

8. "Folded"

Current Contractor - Operations Supervisor in Melbourne, FL
    Current Contractor - Operations Supervisor in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Wingspan Portfolio as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

None to speak of unfortunately.

Cons

Poor Management, No Room for Growth

9. "Secret Meetings"

Former Employee - Mortgage Processor in Palm Bay, FL
    Former Employee - Mortgage Processor in Palm Bay, FL

I worked at Wingspan Portfolio full-time

Pros

The people were great and some management like team mangers were okay not all. A beautiful building to work in and great desk. Great training in the beginning. Potential overtime almost every week.

Cons

The upper management choose to run this company. Some of the managers have committed serious crimes before, during and after this job and we're never apprehended just promoted and if you went to the non existent HR nothing was done and the site manager sweeped it under the rug. There were apparent favorite employees in secret meetings constantly. Subtle changes like the coffee machine or the computers being packed by one particular manager was uncalled for by highlighting the times in and out for work would be placed on your desk weekly and if you had more than 6 late meaning 1 min late you would be written up causing my whole department getting in car accidents. Another manager would talk about killing people and nothing was done about it except him being promoted. Also it is against the law to work in a place more than a year and never get offered benefits.

Advice to Management

The harshness implemented on temporary employees were not necessary nor ethical. Especially asking co-workers to pack others boxes before lay offs. Give benefits and raises to the employees that were a temp for a year as it is against the law.

10. "Public Image High Priority; Employee Image Low Priority"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne, FL

I worked at Wingspan Portfolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is better than most other companies in the same line of work in the area.

Cons

Communication with employees is almost non-existent in the Melbourne, FL location. Gross disorganization of management. They make employees feel like they are not appreciated by not communicating effectively especially in regards to benefits and also changes being made in the company. Hostile work environment with high output demands and management that is not knowledgeable or helpful to the teams they manage. Health insurance is VERY unaffordable costing over $500 per pay period (bi-weekly) to cover a family. 401k was offered for the first time in 2014, but the company does not match contributions.

Advice to Management

Show employees that you appreciate their hard work by offering bonuses and incentives for exceptional work.

"Was put out of my misery."

Former Employee - Customer Assistance Specialist in Melbourne, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Assistance Specialist in Melbourne, FL

I worked at Wingspan Portfolio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay was great but that was already set from previous employer (now client) whom employment was sold from.
    Great people to work with. Everyone looked out for each other and continues to do so after our employment has ended.

Cons

Having to make up holiday hours client approved off but employer didn't want to lose income.
    No opportunity for growth. A person leaves a position, that position is dissolved.
    Questionable fraternizing among upper management.
    Was with client for over one year, saw a raise and a bonus. With employer for almost twice as long and no bonus and pay raise was never an option.
    No trust in upper management. Was told jobs would be safe for another 18 months only to be told a few short months later that we were being furloughed and previous statement was a "technology contract" for us to use client computers only.
    Executives only sending a letter on last day of employment. Letter stated hoping to bring back 67% of employees within 6 months at "like pay" Offered position 2 months later for significantly less pay and later told those employees, who accepted the reduced pay, their services would not be needed.
    Inability to communicate with client.
    HR not available to employees.

Advice to Management

Start thinking about how you can help improve your employees. If you have employees who are not sure about their future or their employer, you're not going to get the elite level of work you expected.