Winsby Reviews | Glassdoor

Deborah Frakes

1. "Faith Restored"

Current Employee - Caller in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Caller in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Winsby part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've worked at Winsby for a while now and have seen a lot. To start, they have always been very willing to work around my school schedule and I have never had an issue when something unexpected comes up. They made some much needed adjustments to management and it has gone way uphill since. It’s very relaxed and I now enjoy coming to work! The managers give me goals and trust me to meet them. They’ll help me along the way when and if I need it. No more hovering. They even just created market research internships that are a perfect addition to the classes I’m taking. I’m glad I stuck it out and moved to the new location. The view is amazing. There was obviously a problem between managers/owners that created a bad atmosphere for everyone, but all that stopped once the move happened.

Cons

It can be boring at times, but that comes with the nature of the position. I can talk to my co-workers and keep myself entertained in other ways, so it’s not too much of an issue.

Advice to Management

Much improved after the move! Keep it up! I love that the CEO knows and speaks to everyone no matter what position they’re in. She’s very friendly.

"Caller"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Winsby (More than a year)

Pros

It is better than working in a slaughter house and the cold-calling skills can get you a much better paying sales job someplace else.

Cons

Working here is like a bad relationship--expect abuse that makes you believe that you aren't capable of better. I saw poor business ethics, management that rules through fear, and lousy employee training.

Advice to Management

Only promoting friends and listening to those you agree with doesn't improve a company. If you want to see my morale is poor don't ask your friends if they like the job and then report those numbers as the state of the company because everyone else is afraid to answer honestly.

"Be careful"

Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Chicago, IL

Pros

Flexible hours and snacks are a benefit

Cons

Sneaky management that plots to get rid of you. On top of that it is quota driven, so it's not a safe job to have.

"Stay away unless you're desperate for work"

Former Employee - Direct Marketing Associate in Evanston, IL
    Former Employee - Direct Marketing Associate in Evanston, IL

I worked at Winsby full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

some coworkers are serious about getting the job done, some kind coworkers

Cons

Before I accepted the job, an interviewer asked me to please not quit for at least two months. That was a major sign of things to come. The work itself is extremely dull and repetitive (following a script, dialing calls, filling out responses exactly), and there's no room for growth. Expect to get hung up on constantly. The company knows most people quit after a few months, so there's no effort put into maintaining relationships or developing growth opportunities for people. Management style: characterized by distrust and micromanagement. Every time you make a typo in a note, someone will print it out and highlight it for you to see. Managers are looking over your shoulder and listening to your calls all day. Leadership is constantly putting pressure to crank out as much productivity out of everyone as possible, leading to stressful managers who put that pressure on the callers. If you don't want to be making 500+ calls a day, stay away from Winsby. I got yelled at for taking a two-minute break to fill out an HR survey on how to improve the workplace because the company was losing productivity from my break. Unsurprisingly, there's a massive turnover rate. There's very little opportunity to interact with anyone at the company because you constantly have to be calling. The upper management shares the same office yet does not even acknowledge or say hello to the callers who do all the dirty work. HR seems clueless/careless about improving the situation for people. Absolutely no effort into developing diversity - all leadership and vast majority (~80%+) of hires are white. Management style is very high school: you'll get called out for having your phone out or for sending a text openly (AKA not in the bathroom)...gotta punch out to move your car every two hours...gotta show evidence for when you're sick (bringing in Dr.'s notes -- yes, actually). Lunch is only allowed from 1 to 1:30 p.m. exactly. You'll get penalized for being over 1 or 2 minutes late. I was surprised I didn't have to punch out to go to the bathroom. Very low pay, very little time off, terrible benefits, no perks. You'll get hassled even for asking for unpaid time off.

Advice to Management

Actually acknowledge people in the office. Recognize talent/skilled people when you see them. People are leaving for entry level positions at major market research companies, and

"Marketing Analyst Intern"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Winsby provides a great environment that values a sense of humor, allows you to work independently, and requires an organized and fast learner.

Cons

It requires a committed and dedicated person who cares about the work they are doing, so if that is not you, you wouldn't enjoy this company.

6. "Caller"

Current Employee - Caller in Evanston, IL
    Current Employee - Caller in Evanston, IL

Pros

Easy job and Easy money

Cons

There is no growth opportunities

"Intern position"

Current Employee - Intern in Evanston, IL
    Current Employee - Intern in Evanston, IL

I have been working at Winsby part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy work, decent pay for a college student, easy to goof off and fun coworkers at times. I was only there as a last minute summer job/internship and it wasn't hard to get

Cons

Absolutely awful higher management. The middle managers and supervisors are awesome but the people who run the place are absolutely bad. It is surprising since I think one of the main partners is a U of Chicago MBA and in my 2 years studying business in college he is completely insane. Upper management works in the same exact office as the interns and not once do they acknowledge them. Literally out of the 3 internships I've had before and since, the worst managed company I have ever seen.
    In general they treat you like scum. Monitor every move, make you sign out to move your car, have one coffee pot, half the systems dont even work.

Advice to Management

Start fostering an environment of care. At least acknowledge the interns. Management 101 is to show if you care about your employees they will do better and actually care about the company and its objectives.

8. "Unsanitary workplace"

Former Employee - Caller in Evanston, IL

I worked at Winsby part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent money ($11/hr at the call center)
    Flexible hours--they don't really care when you quit or how long you work
    Nice coworkers
    Snacks occasionally

Cons

Shared headsets--this needs to change ASAP because it's very unsanitary. So gross! I hope something is done about this! I got a terrible cold and shared it with the whole office, so be prepared for that
    High turnover
    Boring job
    Pay is not every other week, this should also change

Advice to Management

Give callers their own headsets! It's ridiculous that we shared them, so unclean

9. "easy work for decent pay"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL

I have been working at Winsby part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

relaxed atmosphere, worked around my schedule, good summer job. The work is easy and the pay is pretty good for a call center.

Cons

it can sometimes get loud and seem hectic. needs more working computers.

Advice to Management

keep the snacks stocked.

Winsby Response

Aug 5, 2015 – Human Resources Manager

I'm happy to see that you have had a positive experience. I hope you are enjoying the new computers!

"Catch-22"

Former Employee - Caller in Evanston, IL

I worked at Winsby full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some calls actually help people. The first day was kinda nice.

Cons

Heres why it's a catch 22 to work at winsby: to do a good job you have to sound happy and be cheery and work hard, but the management sucks so much that you are physically exhausted by the second day. They constantly micro manage you and nag on you after EVERY phone call. They constantly review you; they have weekly reviews where if you get below an 85% you get re-evaluated ( I left before I could find out what that means).

Advice to Management

Fire your current managers and find people that can constructively criticize and train someone without burning them out quickly.

Winsby Response

Aug 5, 2015 – Human Resources Manager

I'm sorry that you had a negative experience. To explain - We hire a lot of students in our call center who may or may not have direct marketing experience. The training process can seem intense ... More