Winshuttle Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John Pierson

Pros
  • The work life balance is also good (in 16 reviews)

• Some good people - many under appreciated and under valued (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management has no product knowledge (in 5 reviews)

• Career growth obviously depends on how much the company is able to grow in the next few years (in 4 reviews)

"Best Place to work In Bothell"

Current Employee - Customer Support in Bothell, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Support in Bothell, WA

I have been working at Winshuttle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing products and teams. Company is making the smooth transition from start-up to mid size software company without the growing pains of destroying the original culture and without the a 100% focus on costs. I plan to be here for a long time!!!!

Cons

West cost offices make for early start to support the customers in the East. Maybe an office in the eastern time zone would make sense at some point

Advice to Management

Don't lose focus on employees and continue the open door one-on-one culture

"Crap Place - Hit the Want Ads Again!!! ASAP!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA

I have been working at Winshuttle full-time

Pros

Beer Friday (although some drink too much - huge liability)

Cons

Everything is bad!! Really, really bad!!! Get out soon....like I have almost done (1 interview away). ***I have not completrd Ratings as "zero" is not an option****

Advice to Management

All of you should be working at McDonalds!! Well, I don't know if you can get "Do you want fries with that?" right!!...or you'd eat the fries and point at someone else and say "He did it"!! Classic Winshuttle upper 'management' (word used very lightly......more like monkeys).

"Thoughtful Approach"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA

Pros

Very thoughtful leaders that recognize change needs to happen to scale the company. I'm very impressed with the direction of the company.

Cons

no cons, I'm impressed that they are learning to grow. I would not expect them to be perfect as they are only 15 years old learning to move out of being founder lead.

Advice to Management

Keep going

"Horrible Place To Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Winshuttle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Most of the current employees are cool.
    - No accountability/No responsibility

Cons

- No accountability/No responsibility
    - HR intentionally tries to screw you over to benefit the company/make themselves look good
    - Sells your information
    - 100% incompetent executive/management team
    - Leadership is non-existent
    - No vision
    - Keeps it's employees in the dark
    - no career progression/path
    - HR is writing fake 5 star reviews on here.

Advice to Management

Do the opposite of what you're doing now because what you're currently doing is not working.

"Nightmare workplace"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA

I worked at Winshuttle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company will keep failing and eventually put everyone out of their misery.

Cons

Working here made me go nuts. The sheer incompetence, arrogance and lack of emotional intelligence of the leadership is appalling.

Advice to Management

You turned a good company and product into a sweat shop nightmare with products that are so full of bugs and far from what the customers need so quickly it's astonishing.

"Stay Away!"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Bothell, WA

I worked at Winshuttle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Studio product is overall solid and can provide a quick ROI for the customer.

Good people scattered throughout the company.

Typically offers a good work-life balance.

Cons

Inability to deliver/execute and lack of accountability across the organization.

Poor management and zero leadership.

HR is there for management, not for the employees (unless you count helping with transition plans as employees leave the company). Too high level, so there is a problem with execution and follow-through.

High attrition that has a significant impact on the ability of the organization to execute. Sales is one of the areas with constant turnover. Key is there are some good knowledgeable sales team members, but it takes time to understand the product and to successfully get a proposal accepted into a customer’s budget cycle. Winshuttle’s focus by nature of integration with SAP are big companies and successfully navigating budget/CE cycles can be very challenging. A combination of these is like the reason that Winshuttle has failed to meet revenue goals for the past 2 years.

For a company the size of Winshuttle, total turnover just in the corporate headquarters has been high enough to impact constant delivery. My estimation is maybe upwards of 30% have turned over in the past 2 years, either by Winshuttle’s design or by the employee making the change of their own decision (as in my case).

Product delivery is a weakness for Winshuttle. There is a challenge with integration with a complex application as SAP and Winshuttle is still working on trying to find an approach to delivering a stable product in each release. The worst scenario they have tried has been to convince customers to install pre-release versions, so they could validate the build for Winshuttle. This has not proven to be viable, as these were often laced with defects.

For me personally, the last 1.5 years I was at Winshuttle (out of only 2.5 years of employment) was turbulent and it declined to a state of being toxic at the end. Having 4 different managers over a 13 month period kept things “interesting”, to state it kindly. I made the decision to leave of my own accord and without another opportunity lined up, because of the confrontational environment I faced on a daily basis with my “latest and greatest” manager (who is no longer there, which should be listed under “Pros” above). It was clear to me that the direction of the company did not align with my personal values and decisions were being made and executed that negatively impacted customers in way of delivery and billing. Another key fact that lead to my decision was that I was challenged to find anyone that had not found a better opportunity or had not landed in a better place after leaving Winshuttle, regardless of who made the decision for separation. It was that fact that gave me the faith to move on.

Advice to Management

My advice is directed to key individuals and groups…..

To the CEO, When we talked after I had made my decision to leave, you offered that I would probably be happier elsewhere. At that time and still today, I agreed with you. That comment also let me know that you didn’t value my contributions and I also felt as though you had given up trying to address any issues. Regardless, it helped to confirm my decision.

To the founder and CTO, Thanks for not saying anything to me once you found out I was leaving. I know that 3 ½ weeks passes quickly. As with the CEO, this confirmed my decision.

Management Team:
    At the top, you don’t know how to demonstrate appreciation or even to determine the value that individuals bring to the company. Everyone (not all inclusive) acts like they know how things need to be done, but I strongly disagree even though that depends on the overall objective. I would describe the mentality of management as a combination of ignorance and arrogance. Maybe it’s time to change the approach, set some reasonable and attainable goals, and support the person that is trying to accomplish them. My experience is that was not even close to reality when I was there and I cannot imagine that anything has changed at this point.

Board of Directors:
    It is my opinion that you need to take a serious look at the management team across the organization and take a serious reality check, if the company is to get back on track. It is time for some tough decisions. Executing as the company is today, I question whether the company will be viable in the coming years. It may be time to sell the company to someone that knows how to take it to the next level.

To the new Director of Customer Success for North America (whoever that may be):
    Ask for a lot of money, as it is going to be a thankless job for the foreseeable future after the last person in that position completely dismantled the solution delivery team. You have a couple excellent individuals still in place. Value them and trust them, as they will be your key to success.

"Ugghhh....."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA

Pros

Beer Fridays, nice coworkers, could be a really good company with a little SAP niche product

Cons

High Turnover, executive leadership needs to be replaced. Everyone is nice in management, however, not everyone is competent. In fact, people are jumping ship, there his high turnover (between layoffs and people jumping ship), and exc leadership while nice, are flailing. Starts at the top, doesn't help that founders are brothers and brother in laws. For a company that is 15 years old and still unknown in the SAP space is a crime. There are no career opportunities at Winshuttle in any meaningful way. CEO has to approve everything and is muddled down in every minutia detail. The culture and values (PACCT) are excellent but only if you really live by them.....

Advice to Management

Just try and sell. Either replace senior leadership or keep driving it into the ground.

"Keep looking elsewhere."

Former Employee - Consultant/Software Developer in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Consultant/Software Developer in Bothell, WA

I worked at Winshuttle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Work environment is pretty good. The people make coming into work every day tolerable.
    - Laid back environment. For the most part, you don't have anyone hovering over you watching you do things and telling you how you have to do them.
    - Bonuses (if they continue to last)
    - Winshuttle User Group Conference is pretty fun.
    - Most of the customers a fun to work with
    - Good product (for the right use case)
    - Almost everyone has 'Senior' in their job title which is good for the resume
    - Continental breakfast on Mondays
    - Beer Friday once a month
    - 401k match
    - Good opportunity to get some type of annual raise. The standard is 3% but it's based on some things you have control of and some things you don't (much like the bonus).

Cons

Winshuttle has the same issues you'll find at a lot of other companies and those issues may or may not pertain to you depending on the location you work at and what department you're in. Winshuttle has a big problem with understanding what they are selling and what the customers are trying to use it for. The higher ups are very short sighted thinkers....they only see one component of what a customer is trying to do and not the entire picture thus resulting in a 'half-assed' solution delivery process. However, leadership will be the first to scream that a project was successful when the customer was dragged by their hair kicking and screaming the whole time.

Sales have been on the decline for the past 5 years and continue to plumit more than the previous year. Typically, you would hear leadership talk about the future of the company and the plans that are going to be put in place to help them get to where they want to be at any other company. Winshuttle only cares about the current quarter (and sometimes the current year) but never has talked about 5 year or 10+ year goals/plans. There are lots of subtle hints that seem to be given that makes you question the level of experience of those making decisions and if Winshuttle is a stable place to work.

For the past couple years, Winshuttle has been doing multiple rounds of layoffs of key personnel. They seem to not like the type of person that has industry experience outside of Winshuttle and tries to provide input on how to fix things or get more money out of the product by selling to wider audiences (outside of their little SAP bubble that they refuse to get out of).

Upper management/executives are in the weeds of the customer projects which makes things a lot worse and harder to run. Typically, they will come in to see what a project is doing and talk directly with the customer behind your back and tell them everything in the world is possible and basically throw you under the bus because they just contradicted everything you had said to the customer. You will find yourself having to constantly prove that something isn't going to work until it fails and the customer jumps ship due to an 'incapable product.'

Winshuttle really likes to try the same thing over and over again expecting different results. Throughout my 4 years at Winshuttle, every single project eventually got escalated at some point due to what they (the customer) were trying to do with the product or what the sales guy told them was beyond the scope of what Winshuttle did.Constant head butting from Sales and Support/Services to the point where the customer is set up for failure from the get-go.

Most of the employees at Winshuttle can hold their own. There are lots of employees however that refuse to learn things and immediately go to someone who knows something so they can ask the same question multiple times without learning something in the process. If you're good at what you do, you can expect to be picking up the slack of lots of other employees and have a hell of a lot of work dumped on to you to "just figure it out." You can scream out your concerns with all the scientific evidence in the world until you're blue in the face but you will be forced to do it anyways and make customers upset and ultimately, make yourself look like a fool since you're the face of winshuttle to the customer.

Opportunities to learn and career growth are pretty much non existent. The company says that you have an allotted amount for training and continuing education but they don't let you use it. A couple of years back, they actually shut down the company operations for one day and broke the company down into focus groups so they could figure out how make things/life at winshuttle better. They walked away with great feedback but didn't execute on a single thing. Not even one. Technically they executed on the "making the office space fun" but it was because they had no choice since their lease was up and had to move. The HR team wasn't the best when I first started. I was basically just given a packet on my first day and then thrown into the fire. Anytime I'd go back to HR and ask a question, I would be told to contact some third party company to explain the details to me (didn't even provide me contact info. I had to google it). A new HR team was brought on bored and they were pretty damn good. They would listen to you and they cared about employee retention. Now, there is a brand new HR team who couldn't care less about you. They actually want people to leave the company so they can keep salaries low and the director treats you like you're a number.

Opportunity for career advancement and raises do not exist. You have to go find another job offer and quit before they will even consider talking about giving you more money. However, now, this tactic doesn't work since they want people to leave the company so they can make their goals for the quarter since sales aren't great. Be ready to leave if you chose to try this.

Between lack of experience in upper management, winshuttle not valuing it's employees, day to day operations and the consistent decline of sales, I would not recommend working at winshuttle unless you just need something to put on your resume and don't plan on staying that long. You can literally show up, do the absolute bare minimum and go home at 3 if you wish. Nobody will question you.

Testing and QA is non-existent. Lots of engineers at winshutle but no real testing is ever done which usually ends up with 2 or 3 customers having some major production issue after upgrading to the new version.

As a closing 'con' I would ask you to read through the other reviews and you'll find a good, solid consistency in 'cons.' Also note that Winshuttle isn't active on this page and could care less about employee feedback. Keep looking unless your desperate. You will waste a lot of time here and no get anything out of it.

Advice to Management

Figure out what you're doing. Current management might have been qualified to run the business a couple of years ago but the company is much bigger now and has some serious clients. Consider selling the company or get better experienced people (who aren't excel power users) to come in and fix things.

Stay out of customer operations. Let consultants be consultants, developers be developers and support analysts be support analysts. Just because you read about some cool thing on the internet doesn't mean it's going to fit the customers use case or even work with the Winshuttle product.

Be more transparent with your employees and value them as they are the main reason you are still in business.

Completely revamp the services delivery process or merge it back with support. Quit holding consultants accountable for you giving free billable hours away.

"Growing small enterprise software company with big ambitions"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA

I have been working at Winshuttle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Any individual can make an impression
    Market aligned compensation
    Management team is receptive to feedback
    Some products are innovative and cool
    Opportunities for motivated and driven smart people
    Flexible working conditions

Cons

Inexperienced managers
    Owners are in the weeds of daily operations
    Some dead wood in almost all teams
    Some unclear goals and objectives
    Old fashioned thinking in some quarters about how things can and should be done
    Sales tends to over promise and services struggle to deliver
    Product quality is variable, islands of excellence and innovation

Advice to Management

Don't be shy to hire a good mix of inexperienced and very experienced resources
    The brand is almost unknown except among a select few SAP customers
    Invest heavily in market education to grow

"good place to work"

Current Employee - Sales in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Sales in Miami, FL

I have been working at Winshuttle (More than 3 years)

Pros

company growth pace increasing
    tremendous value proposition, most customers get ROI in less than 3 months!
    huge installed base!
    when tough economy Winshuttle justification even easier
    target market keeps growing

Cons

there has to be, but nothing relevant at this point

Advice to Management

managers are genuine leaders that promote from withing, attract and develop talent.
    continue with winshuttle evolution into an IT platform