Winston & Strawn Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Winston & Strawn Managing Partner Tom Fitzgerald
Tom Fitzgerald

Pros
  • Benefits are good, but not competitive (in 7 reviews)

• The people really make it a great place to work (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Most days I ask myself if I work in a major law firm or a grade school (in 8 reviews)

• When they have functions with attorneys and staff, they all keep to their own side, attorneys with (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Since I started working at Winston, I have been given incredible opportunities to grow. My job duties go much further than I expected, and I am constantly given the support, guidance and resources to fulfill them. The firm itself, is working hard to boost employee moral though social activities, volunteer opportunities and fun perks throughout the year. The job expectations are high, but there are many great things to look forward to on a daily basis working at Winston.

Cons

Not at this time.

2. "Business Development"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Winston & Strawn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great management and team environment

Cons

Not many opporutnities for promotion

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing

3. "Great firm culture for support staff"

Former Employee - Docket Clerk in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Docket Clerk in Chicago, IL

I worked at Winston & Strawn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly environment
    Nice office
    Good quality technology
    Efficient work place
    Great work life balance
    The location is great in terms of transport and lunch options

Cons

Break rooms kind of dumpy
    Not a lot of major negatives to speak of
    Rare to see natural sun light from any interior office which requires having to go find it

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Winston & Strawn full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pays well. Partners treat staff and associates with respect. I have worked at a few law firms and this will likely be my last because this is a great place to work. Benefits, including back-up daycare, and insurance, are excellent. Winston has built a great cafe for everyone to enjoy lunch and free beverages. You also get free breakfast on paydays! Winston holds health fairs and has been having fairly regular pop-up yoga sessions. Winston regularly asks its employees for feedback and for advice on how it can improve

Cons

When times are busy, you may be working after hours and weekends, but that is typical for any large law firm.

Advice to Management

I would continue to offer on site opportunities focused on health, wellness and self improvement. When it is busy and difficult to take lunches, it would nice if we could fit a quick workout in at work.

"Chicago Office Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Winston sets a Standard of Excellence not only for our clients but, for staff as well. Each day we are challenged to go above and beyond to produce our absolute best and I am honored to work for such an organization that supports me not only professionally but intellectually.

Cons

Presently none at this time.

Advice to Management

There are a lot of tenured staff members in the Chicago office. Please continue to find ways to engage, reward and promote fairly.

"Approaching 90 Days as a Winston Employee"

Current Employee - Diversity Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Diversity Assistant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Winston & Strawn full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

One of the biggest pros of working for Winston is the people; I have barely been here 3 months and I am always greeted by my colleagues, or others I have yet to meet; these transactions are so genuine, which is hard to come by at huge companies. I also feel supported from my direct team in HR and my immediate manager in Diversity. I am learning and growing in my role each day, and I feel like the team is taking the time to get to know me and how I operate! Most importantly, I feel comfortable to be myself more and more each day, and I feel like my skills are being utilized and expanded!

Cons

The only con I would have would be in regards to new hire training. I would have liked more training for my individual role, versus and overview of being a Winston employee; I gained a lot of things that I needed to know, and I appreciated them, but I was drowning at times because I just did not have a complete tool belt for my role. Granted, learning anything takes time and hard work, but since I am someone who prides themselves on their work ethic/learning quickly, I would have appreciated more training in order to perform at my best right away.

Advice to Management

I would advise management to continue to think of ways to prepare new hires in their department roles.

"Director"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great place to work. Specifically Winston Café where attorneys and staff gather together to eat, drink and be social. Jeans Day every Friday. Happy Hour every Friday. Team work. Hard working long term employees who know how to get things done and are always willing to help! Service Anniversary checks :). An atmosphere of excellence. Competitive salaries.

Cons

No gym or shower facilities in offices or building

Advice to Management

Employee Engagement Survey very well received and acted upon. Good job!

"Don't believe the positive reviews."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Winston & Strawn full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My coworkers/peers are amazing. Benefits are good and you get the perks of a big law firm (company discounts, social events). Working in the hub of the city near public transit and many food options is great. Salary is competitive with the industry.

Cons

Your experience depends on which department you work in. Some departments are extremely dysfunctional and you can see that with masses of people voluntarily leaving because of toxic management. I'm not sure if their bonus is tied to it or something but managers have been trying to improve the company's reputation by doing something nice and then individually asking employees to write positive reviews on Glass Door. So don't believe all of the positive reviews you read on here- they were bought by management. If you take a look there were a bunch of negative ones for a while and then all the sudden really positive ones were posted in rapid fire. Definitely not a coincidence. And the first one listed is marked as Featured Response a/k/a the firm paid to put a good one first.

Advice to Management

Sincere interest in your employees' wellbeing/firm culture and targeted efforts to improve internet reviews are two very different things.

Winston & Strawn Response

Dec 9, 2016 – Sr. Recruitment Specialist

Thank you for your review of Winston & Strawn. We appreciate receiving positive feedback about our benefits and salary, which are highly competitive in order to attract top talent to the firm. We ... More

10. "Accounting"

Current Employee - Accounting in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Accounting in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great fast paced environment. With opportunities for growth, the firm promotes internal promotions and department transfers. Great Firm to work for with great benefits and very competitive compensation.

Cons

There are really no negative things I have to say about the firm. I feel the firm is fair and a good place to work.

11. "Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Winston & Strawn (Less than a year)

Pros

I only have positive experiences from working at Winston! The work environment and office culture is great and everyone, from attorneys to staff, is very friendly and helpful. The people really make it a great place to work. The benefits are also great. I am extremely happy and proud to work at Winston & Strawn!

Cons

No Cons at this time.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!