Winston & Strawn Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Winston & Strawn Managing Partner Tom Fitzgerald
Tom Fitzgerald

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Winston & Strawn is a global law firm that values its attorneys and staff (in 11 reviews)

• The people really make it a great place to work (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Most days I ask myself if I work in a major law firm or a grade school (in 9 reviews)

• There is a huge division between attorneys and staff (in 5 reviews)

"Summer Associate"

I worked at Winston & Strawn part-time

Pros

Lots of fun, great coworkers, great training experience

Cons

None that I can think of right now

2. "Research Assistant"

I worked at Winston & Strawn part-time

Pros

Opportunity to work with incredibly talented attorneys.

Cons

No substantial cons to speak of.

3. "Senior Litigation Support Project Manager"

I worked at Winston & Strawn full-time

Pros

Great department, management has support of partners, great group of people to work with. Compensation and benefits are excellent.

Cons

Not a lot of turn over, so advancement opportunity can be limited.

"D.C. Staff Review"

Current Employee - Staff in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Staff in Washington, DC

I have been working at Winston & Strawn full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some very nice and professional colleagues. Opportunities to work on interesting cases.

Cons

The staff in this firm in chronically unhappy and unappreciated. There is a lot of talk about the annual engagement survey, but nothing changes. D.C. office is the overlooked step child. The space is depressing, people do not interact at all and the office lacks the amenities other Winston offices have. There are some good managers but also some incompetent ones who do not have a background in the business. They do not promote within the company. Staff does not have career paths or work for any kind of goal. The company does not contribute to staffs' 401k during the first two years. This office is so old fashioned that people are still required to clock in and flexible schedule is not available. No matter how late you stay at night you are still expected to clock in at 9 am. Managers do not divide assignments or evaluate the workload. This has lead to a situation where some staff members are overworked and some get away with a bare minimum.

Advice to Management

Hire competent managers, divide the workload more fairly among the staff, implement flexible schedule and show genuine appreciation.

Apr 4, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Our professional staff have a variety of ways to contribute to Washington, D.C. office initiatives by joining one of our committees focusing on corporate social responsibility, wellness... More

5. "Chicago-based firm with extremely rapid growth"

I have been working at Winston & Strawn full-time

Pros

Processes are constantly changing and evolving due to extreme growth.

Cons

Lack of diversity, scattered management, and little of transparency

6. "Associate"

I have been working at Winston & Strawn full-time

Pros

The firm does excellent work and makes opportunities available for younger attorneys to get substantive experience.

Cons

You have to pro-active in discussing advancement opportunities.

7. "Project Assistant"

Pros

Attorneys are brilliant, work is compelling and novel.

Cons

No real cons to speak of.

8. "Big Law w/ Midwest Vibe..."

Former Employee - Law Clerk in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Law Clerk in New York, NY

I worked at Winston & Strawn (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people, good mentoring, excellent HR, summer associate program is fantastic

Cons

Lifestyle isn't great (long hours, weekends, all-nighters)...same as any big law firm

"The *Honest* Truth"

I worked at Winston & Strawn full-time

Pros

If you need law firm experience for your career goals, a benefits package, or a salary.

Cons

Don't let Winston's official responses about employee engagement fool you. There are some key points they're leaving out when they promote these "high marks" they say they received. The most glaring and disheartening one being that while employees were specifically told that surveys were anonymous, they weren't. I completed my survey and the report that was sent back to them included a URL that included my initials. I confirmed with a handful of close friends that theirs did as well. Word spread quickly (as word tends to do in an office) and, coupled with the already existing impression that firmwide leadership retaliates against anyone who criticizes or questions, people were afraid to leave honest feedback and simply return surveys that are minimally completed with generic responses.

Winston has made no secret within the office about its desire to improve it's Glassdoor rating (as opposed to actually improving substantive morale, and engaging and retaining talented employees). They solicit positive reviews by contacting employees directly after providing bonuses, gifts, or social functions and individually asking them to complete Glassdoor reviews. This puts a lot of pressure on people to both submit a review and say positive things to avoid retribution from firmwide leadership.

There is no enthusiasm or engagement left at Winston. Within the past year or two, almost the entirety of local management has left, with the firm not replacing the roles, but rather putting the responsibility on other firmwide management who don't work in the same city. Firmwide management wants "yes men" below them who follow blindly and do not question anything, because their top priority seems to be their own job security and they appear to be very strategic in maintaining that, even if it is at the expense of the firm and its employees. Hiring any new/competent people for local leadership positions who would have the local office's employees' interests at heart would threaten their job security. On top of that, the newer "leadership" isn't located in the same city, or even virtually responsive. It takes weeks to get a response from them on basic questions. Many employees have complained about this, but as with most everything at Winston, nothing changes.

If you want to work at a firm without a unique/positive culture, where yes men and blind following is expected and anything else results in retribution, and where they are stuck in the 90's and constantly chasing industry norms years after peer firms, Winston is a good fit- look no further!

Advice to Management

Whoever is above firm leadership (the board of directors? CEO?) would need to enact change, because current management is corrupted and serving their own interests at the expense of the firm and its employees.

Dec 21, 2017 – Sr. Recruitment Specialist

Thank you for your review of Winston & Strawn. We take employee feedback seriously and want to be responsive when we hear from someone who does not feel the firm is providing a positive staff... More

"Good, but far from great"

I worked at Winston & Strawn full-time

Pros

This is for the SF office only:
    - Easy commute since the building is close to a BART station
    - Attorneys and staff are usually very nice, even the difficult ones
    - Plenty of work to do and the office is nicely furnished
    - Not a lot of nonsense in terms of office operations
    - More holidays and the caps for sick/vacation time are huge so you can rack up some serious days.

Cons

- Unless you're in Chicago (HQ) or Houston (CIO's home office), you're stuck in your position, period. No moving up regardless of how many years you've racked up or your work quality or how many partners speak up about it.
    - Poor-performing individuals still working only because they're chummy with a higher-up, despite complaints from other higher-ups.
    - Stealth layoffs
    - Empty promises of better things to come
    - Too many projects that are driven to "completion", which means they're only half-done and require a whole bunch of running around putting out fires

Advice to Management

Plenty to give, but since they're not geared towards squeezing more dollars per hour, they'll be ignored so what's the point.

Sep 22, 2017 – Sr. Recruitment Specialist

Thank you for your review of Winston & Strawn. We often receive positive feedback from our employees about the firm’s collegial culture, attractive office space, and generous benefits. Winston makes... More