Cover image for Winston & Strawn

Winston & Strawn

Engaged Employer

Winston & Strawn

Add a Review

Winston & Strawn Employee Reviews about "good benefits"

Updated Sep 10, 2019

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Winston & Strawn and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "good benefits"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Good benefits/pay

May 9, 2014 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits and pay, decent work hours

Cons

No promotional opportunities, bad attitude in different departments, layoffs yearly

1 person found this review helpful
  2. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

Churn and burn firm with good pay and fear based management.

Dec 14, 2018 - Support Staff in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pays well and benefits are good, but medical declined a lot over the years. But that’s probably universal. The 401k contribution is very generous. 7.5 hour days as opposed to 8 for support staff; vacation and sick time is generous; overtime pay; More vacation the longer you stay. They do attempt to have gatherings once a month in the form of happy hours etc. and that’s nice. Unfortunately, that won’t be enough to keep good employees.

Cons

Some people in management should not be in management. A very micro managed company for the most part. No flexibility whatsoever. I’ve never had a job as a paralegal where I have to clock in. We had to clock in and if we were late, our supervisor got an email. Or so I was told. Paralegals bill their time. There should be flexibility. Paralegals are adults and know what is on their plate for the day. Although vacation time is generous, try using it. 3 week vacations are seen as “unprofessional” and generally frowned upon. The most negative aspect of working here is the fear based management style. Management wants to control through fear. An example of this is an email that is generated if billing is submitted after the time that it is due. If the billing is submitted late 3 times in any quarter, and that could be just submitting it 15 minutes late or an hour late 3 times, than we were threatened on time one and time two that if it happens a 3rd time our direct deposit will be taken away and we will have to pick up our paycheck personally from the managing partner. This tactic bothered me from day one. Good people will leave when their pain becomes stronger than the fear management hands out.

10 people found this review helpful

Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your review of Winston & Strawn. The competitive compensation and benefits package we offer reflect the importance we place on attracting and retaining top talent to meet our clients’ needs. Winston makes every effort to ensure that firm policies strike the right balance to best meet business and administrative needs while providing flexibility to our employees. Our engagement teams in each U.S. office are a great outlet for employees to submit their specific recommendations and feedback on areas for improvement. Employees also are encouraged to contact their manager or supervisor to address individual concerns with regard to timekeeping, workload, vacation schedules, and other such matters.

3. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

People leave managers, not companies

May 24, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits, and all around nice place to work. Great office and wonderful, dedicated co-workers.

Cons

Winston tolerates employee bullying and HR will sit on it and do nothing.

6 people found this review helpful

Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your review of Winston & Strawn. Bullying of any kind is not tolerated at our firm. Winston is well-regarded for having a collegial environment so we are disheartened to hear that you have had this experience. We take employee feedback seriously and want to be responsive to your concerns, but feel this matter is best discussed in person with someone who is in a position to intervene, such as Julie Marcus, Director of Human Resources, to help resolve the particular issues you are experiencing.

4. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Not a great company

Oct 11, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits and amenities, small amounts of growth.

Cons

Poor work/life balance, Bad company culture, company has a lot of work to do, so think twice before working here.

3 people found this review helpful

Sr. Recruitment Specialist

Thank you for your review of Winston & Strawn. Employee feedback through a variety of outlets helps us continue to deliver a positive staff experience. The firm receives robust responses to our yearly Engagement Surveys, and is committed to addressing areas of improvement identified by our employees. Work/life balance is one of the areas we have been working to improve, so we are proud to be recognized as being among the most progressive law firms for working parents. We offer industry-leading parental leave benefits, flexible work arrangements, an employee assistance program with confidential work/life counseling, and other programs to support all of our employees. We encourage you to seek guidance from your local office Human Resources department, which is best positioned to listen to and help resolve employees’ individual concerns.

5. 1.0
    Former Employee

A company that desperately needs change.

Jan 26, 2017 - Anonymous
    Business Outlook

Pros

Jeans Day, breakfast, good benefits.

Cons

The main con in this place is management. They refuse to listen to their good employees and have always prefer to listen to those employees that are problematic. Throughout the years many good employees have left because of their lack of action on staff issues. Some employees have been there for 10+ years, are incompetent in their jobs, and management for many years has turned a blind eye. If you decide to speak against those problematic staff members that make working there miserable you run the risk of being retaliated by HR or they will disregard you. They know they have a problem with certain staff members that have been there for many years but it's easier for them to ignore it. If you think this is the place for growth look somewhere else. The only way you will grow is if you are liked by management. They don't base growth on how hard someone works it's mostly based on who puts in a good word for you. There have been times where they promote people who have no idea what they are doing. You will not be recognize for all the work you do even if someone nominates you for a "Star Award" they will ask all kind of questions to make sure you deserve it. Bonuses and raises are low, they are constantly looking for little things to put in your review so that you don't get a raise/bonus you deserve. The environment there is so tense that you feel miserable going in to work. Make sure that every communication you have with any other staff member is through email because if you don't you will be left to fend for yourself and more than likely they won't believe you. Certain staff members wait until you make a mistake so that they can complain about you to HR or management, email communication is the most important thing. Most social events are nice but the "problem" staff make it uncomfortable and tense, so you practically don't feel like using your lunch hour to see them. If they have afternoon events you just go to demonstrate to management that you are thankful but would rather be working. My advice is don't trust anyone there, be cordial but be careful. It is better to just go in and work and not get involved with anyone. As you have read in the past reviews, they have a big problem with office gossip and drama. When you interview they will sell you that this is the best place to work at and once you are there you quickly realize that this place is nothing like they stated in the interview. If you are offered the position and accept it, when you are new no one will talk to you or welcome you besides the orientation with management. There clearly is a separation within staff and attorneys, they won't talk to you unless its job related. Some young attorneys can be very condescending. When they have functions with attorneys and staff, they all keep to their own side, attorneys with attorneys and staff with staff.

11 people found this review helpful

Sr. Recruitment Specialist

Thank you for your review of Winston & Strawn. We take employee feedback seriously because it helps us continue to deliver a positive staff experience. We have a variety of outlets available for our employees to address areas for improvement and provide feedback on things the firm is doing well. We encourage you to provide feedback through one of these outlets and provide details so that we may address your concerns. We received robust responses to our 2015 and 2016 staff employee Engagement Surveys, and have since formed local office employee-led teams to facilitate continued open communication through staff and firm management. Our Human Resources department has an open door policy and encourages employees to seek guidance from their local HR staff, who are positioned to listen to and help resolve concerns. Our newly formed local office employee groups and our HR teams are two resources where issues may be shared.

6. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Don't believe the positive reviews.

Dec 8, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

My coworkers/peers are amazing. Benefits are good and you get the perks of a big law firm (company discounts, social events). Working in the hub of the city near public transit and many food options is great. Salary is competitive with the industry.

Cons

Your experience depends on which department you work in. Some departments are extremely dysfunctional and you can see that with masses of people voluntarily leaving because of toxic management. I'm not sure if their bonus is tied to it or something but managers have been trying to improve the company's reputation by doing something nice and then individually asking employees to write positive reviews on Glass Door. So don't believe all of the positive reviews you read on here- they were bought by management. If you take a look there were a bunch of negative ones for a while and then all the sudden really positive ones were posted in rapid fire. Definitely not a coincidence. And the first one listed is marked as Featured Response a/k/a the firm paid to put a good one first.

15 people found this review helpful

Sr. Recruitment Specialist

Thank you for your review of Winston & Strawn. We appreciate receiving positive feedback about our benefits and salary, which are highly competitive in order to attract top talent to the firm. We have a vested interest in gathering honest feedback from our employees to ensure we provide an environment where people are happy to come to work, and therefore we would never seek to influence what employees say about the firm. Our diligent and ongoing engagement efforts provide an outlet for our employees to address areas for improvement and provide feedback on things the firm is doing well. We also encourage our employees to share their honest views about Winston on Glassdoor. We are pleased that these engagement efforts have resulted in an increased number of positive reviews on Glassdoor and have strengthened Winston’s employer brand.

7. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Working in the meat grinder

Jul 17, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very nice people, good benefits, training. As in life, there are some good people to work with (or for) and some that are more challenging.

Cons

Another "blood from a stone" company that really cares about the profits of the partners above all else. Make sure to cover your assets, because some of your peers might throw you under the bus to save themselves.

7 people found this review helpful
  8. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Eye Opening & Disappointing

Mar 6, 2015 - Legal Secretary in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Working for a large law firm like this one looks good on your resume, as long as you're leaving on your own terms of course. The benefits are good, staff receive 2 personal days, 7 sick days and a floating holiday to be used. Due to the many companies they work with and represent, employees can also take advantage of discounts with many of those companies. Pastries/Donuts on pay days

Cons

Unfortunately the cons outweigh the pros. During my time at this firm I felt like any day could be my last. Human resources in the office made staff feel like prisoners, actually, they made the staff members that were not "favorites" feel like prisoners. Several employees stated they had at one point or another felt targeted by HR in what could be seen as a racially biased way. Their dress policy was not only extremely inflexible but also extremely unclear. Their policies stated "business casual" but they constantly threatened employees that actually wore business casual with write ups. HR also made is a habit to comment on other appearance related things like "tired faces" and what they considered "unprofessional hair", which unlike what you might believe had little to do with crazy hair colors or cuts and a lot to do with how it was worn: curly, straight, wavy, etc. Their jeans day policy while appreciated had been thought through far too much. Only denim pants, nothing else. Employees constantly received the reminder that they could not wear denim jackets, skirts, dresses, and the list went on. The environment was toxic. Their HR department, which unlike other places should act as a mediator, has created an environment where the employees are constantly worried about what they will be in trouble for. Their staff members are required to clock in/out. Seems easy enough but that too was something that made people constantly worried. If an employee clocked in at 9:08 vs 9:07 they were required to work an extra 15 minutes or they would be docked pay. If an employee worked a few minutes later it became an issue of "why didn't you request prior approval to work overtime". Staff is seen a disposable and unintelligent. While not all attorneys behave this way, some of them won't even look at a staff member let alone speak to them if they pass them in the hallway or share an elevator. Several lunches/get together are held each month for attorneys but it's known that staff are not welcome. Staff vs staff: other staff members sometimes go out of their way to get HR on someone's case. There's a lot of drama in their office. People bad-mouthing, spying, lying about each other. In some cases they even go as far and searching through the personal property of other employees and reporting their findings to HR. Overall the problem doesn't seem to be the attorneys, as many of them express their disdain for the way HR runs the offices. The invisible line that separates the attorneys from the staff (riff raff) is created by those managing the offices, which is HR (seems like a conflict of interest). HR "runs the joint", the attorneys have no real say in the future of those staff members they work with. Even when employees get good reviews from their assigned people, they can be written up for petty reasons. As far as advancement opportunities...well it depends on what you do. Legal secretaries will stay that way. Their raises aren't exactly generous and neither are their bonuses. Their bonuses "trickle down" so staff gets the short end of the stick. Conservative like you wouldn't believe. One of the first things I saw during my time at this firm was a message sent to the whole firm by an attorney that was leaving...where he told everyone he was going to fight to protect the sanctity marriage (between a man & a woman)...in which several homosexual attorneys and staff were included. Yes, the political views of those in positions of power were ok to shove down people's throat. Further proving the lack of respect for others. Their weather policy was/is extremely inconsiderate. Since the policies are created by individuals with very easy commutes they do not take into consideration those that need to commute from outside of the city limits. Honesty is punished. Employees that leave the firm on their own terms but decide to share with management why they've left are treated like criminals. They are not allowed to say goodbye to their fellow coworkers, instead once the employee expressed why they chose to leave and even give advice they are immediately escorted off the premises as if they were a threat of some sort. Retaliation is also common so if you do change employers, do not provide them information on the new one as some people are known to ruin outside opportunities for those that quit.

20 people found this review helpful

Sr. Recruitment Specialist

All Winston & Strawn employees receive a copy of the employee handbook, which sets forth specific guidelines regarding appearance. These guidelines are meant to be helpful in selecting appropriate business clothing that will be comfortable while projecting a professional image. These guidelines state that all employees are expected to dress in professional business attire that is appropriate for their job duties and responsibilities. Some departments may require more specific guidelines, and employees are encouraged to consult their supervisor or the firm’s Human Resources Department when they require clarification regarding appropriate attire.

9. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Not all departments are treated equally

Oct 17, 2014 - Paralegal in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Bagels and donuts on paydays. Great location near public transportation. Benefits are good, but not competitive. The prestige of Winston on your resume.

Cons

No real chances for advancement, speaking only for the Paralegal Department. Department is top-heavy. Raises are an insult. Billable hours are pushed to get a bonus, however, even with billing a 2000 hour year, the bonuses are insulting. Antiquated culture. No PTO, only vacation/sick. You cannot combine, and they are very strict about that policy. HR is simply there to let you vent, but usually little or nothing is done about any issues. Many attorneys look down on paralegals. Attorneys are notorious for getting away with mistreating paralegals, and little is done about it. If you dare say something, expect some trouble. Even though paralegals are timekeepers, no work flexibility for paralegals. It doesn't matter if you worked until 11 pm the night before, if you're not in the office by 9, expect to be reprimanded for being late.

6 people found this review helpful
  10. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Staff and junior associates are treated terribly. Many partners are jerks.

Mar 10, 2014 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Decent pay and good benefits. Somewhat flexible working environment depending on your role.

Cons

Huge divide between attorneys and staff - staff are considered second class citizens. Partners are often very hostile and derogatory to those beneath them, and HR does little to assist the situation. Not a lot of room for growth.

8 people found this review helpful