Cover image for Winston & Strawn

Winston & Strawn

Engaged Employer

Winston & Strawn

Add a Review

Winston & Strawn Employee Reviews about "law firm"

Updated Oct 21, 2021

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Winston & Strawn and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "law firm"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Good firm investing in itself

May 28, 2019 - Information Technology
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Invests in leadership to keep evolving - No smoke and mirrors; growing based on hard work and smart moves - Invests in diversity, inclusion, engagement, and pro bono - Open to innovation

Cons

- Traditional culture of a big law firm

2. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Remote-friendly, but a hard place to build a practice

Oct 21, 2021 - Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

Winston's litigation team, and its opportunities in litigation, are pretty extraordinary for biglaw. If you can hook up with the right partners or projects, you can get really interesting, substantial work, very early in your career. The size and scope of the firm's practices means that you can get a really good range of work. Within every major practice area, there are really extraordinary lawyers who are leaders in their fields. The firm does a good job at competing on comp, and works to stay ahead of the curve with raises and bonuses. Even pre-COVID, the firm was extremely remote-friendly. It is very easy to work from anywhere you want, or to stay home if you can't, or just don't want to come into the office. This really allows a lot of flexibility for parents, and others who need to stay home sometimes, or who need to be able to travel somewhere without taking extra time off.

Cons

The work assignment system is very free market, so you really have to find a way to make inroads in the groups you want to work in. In many cases, the people doing certain kinds of work may be based entirely in other parts of the country - which can make it really hard to make inroads, and to get opportunities. I expect this is an issue at any large, national or international law firm. However, it is frustrating if you have specific things you want to work on, and cannot easily connect with the people who could give you opportunities for work in that area. The lack of structured work assignments also makes it hard to get out from under a difficult partner, if you happen to end up working with one early on (and do a good enough job that they try to keep you around). I had one friend who left because she was spending all her time working on things she was not interested in, and did not see a way to switch her focus, and also progress at the firm.

3. 3.0
    Current Employee

Stable and pays well

Jun 4, 2021 - Business Development Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Stability Good pay Benefits you would expect Regular get togethers for staff with free food/drinks

Cons

It's a law firm, so if you're not a lawyer obviously it will be just a job. No purpose or much fulfilling work, but decent management. Fine place to work.

4. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

As law firms go

Aug 28, 2019 - Director of Business Development in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Generous with employees and heart is in right place

Cons

Typical law firm meaning technology is 15 years behind

1 person found this review helpful

Winston & Strawn Response

Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your review of Winston & Strawn. The firm has made a significant commitment to building a first-rate talent platform that includes generous benefits, world-class training programs, and holistic well-being initiatives, so we appreciate receiving positive feedback in that regard. Our firm also takes pride in being a technologically advanced law firm, and we are committed to using this technology to enhance firm operations. As an example, Winston has joined the Corporate Legal Operations Consortium and is also among a small group of law firms leading the charge to identify improvements in legal operations and implement them more quickly. Our Chief Information Officer will be speaking on this and other topics at the SOLID East (The Summit on Legal Innovation and Disruption) conference this month. Winston also was featured in a recent Law360 article titled “3 Legal Go-Getters On How They’re Altering The Industry” that highlighted a novel way our firm is using AI for business development. We respectfully submit that Winston is at the forefront – and not behind – on technology.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

As good as it gets for Big Law

Apr 15, 2019 - Associate Attorney in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

The 'bads' of big law are minimal here. People respect you far beyond what you'd think for a big law firm and are cognizant of assigning big asks after working-day hours and on weekends. Of course, you have to work during those times plenty but it's in your own hands.

Cons

Just the typical cons of a big law firm: you don't get the most hands-on experience ever, and sometimes workflow is unpredictable week to week.

6. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Big Law w/ Midwest Vibe...

Dec 15, 2017 - Law Clerk in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nice people, good mentoring, excellent HR, summer associate program is fantastic

Cons

Lifestyle isn't great (long hours, weekends, all-nighters)...same as any big law firm

1 person found this review helpful
  7. 1.0
    Current Employee

Do Not Take A Job in Finance Dept

Apr 30, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

If you cannot find other employment, then a job in Finance might be better than none

Cons

High turn-over; management lacks law firm experience; supervisors and staff have left without jobs that's how toxic the Finance group is; management micromanages and contrary opinions/ideas discouraged and staff members criticized and told they are being negative - few people speak at meetings; managers have been known to berate employees on speaker phone; colleagues are discouraged, morale is low; staff rated Finance worst dept to work for on in-house survey

8. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great Place to Work

Jan 17, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pays well. Partners treat staff and associates with respect. I have worked at a few law firms and this will likely be my last because this is a great place to work. Benefits, including back-up daycare, and insurance, are excellent. Winston has built a great cafe for everyone to enjoy lunch and free beverages. You also get free breakfast on paydays! Winston holds health fairs and has been having fairly regular pop-up yoga sessions. Winston regularly asks its employees for feedback and for advice on how it can improve

Cons

When times are busy, you may be working after hours and weekends, but that is typical for any large law firm.

2 people found this review helpful
  9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Very happy after 8 years

Jul 27, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good salary and benefits, superior technology and office facilities. Strong community of people. Good communication from management. Frequent staff meetings facilitate communication among departments and practice areas. Management and HR is understanding and fair when employees have personal issues. They have shown me flexibility during difficult times and it makes me even more loyal to the firm. I've worked at other large firms and Winston by far has been the best. The people are fantastic and the work is challenging.

Cons

The cons here are the same as any other large law firm or large company.

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Great Mentors

Jul 28, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've been with the firm for more than 20 years, and I've stayed because I've been given multiple opportunities to expand my skill set and take on new challenges and roles. It's a very collegial environment. I genuinely enjoy working with both my attorney and staff teams. I've also had great mentors here; people who were invested in me and my career.

Cons

As with all big law firms, there is always a need to balance resources against requests and to do "more with less." That being the case, our team is well-respected within the firm, and, if we say no to something, we generally don't get too much pushback.

Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 Reviews