Wintrust Mortgage Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
David Hrobon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • We have employee appreciation trips on Lake Michigan, Arlington Race Track, Top Golf, as well as an annual Holiday Party (in 5 reviews)

• Fair wages, great benefits, opportunities to grow and expand work experience parameters (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Loan officers blame everyone for everything and they don't do their job correctly (in 4 reviews)

• No overtime, no assistance all though we were told that we would have that (in 2 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A Class Act"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosemont, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosemont, IL

I have been working at Wintrust Mortgage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wintrust has grown so fast over the past few years, and I personally feel that there is still a "family" atmosphere between all staff no matter what their title. Family is first and they understand that and work with you to balance that out.

Over the years they have also treated not just sales, but the staff with incentives being that interdepartmental goals to reach, or company wide to go on a trip. This makes it fun and competitive. We have employee appreciation trips on Lake Michigan, Arlington Race Track, Top Golf, as well as an annual Holiday Party. The themes and venue's are outstanding. They get better and better each year.

Wintrust supports our community! Weather it is someone's personal fundraiser for breast cancer for a loved one, Autism, Down Syndrome or stair climb, or Building homes in our community. They are there, not just financially, but hands on.

Cons

None to list at this time

Advice to Management

Please keep the family culture. As we grow, sometimes that is hard to keep the focus there. Recognizing your employees, offering incentives, and including your employees in the direction of the company keep us all wanting to work here.

Feb 22, 2017

We are glad that even through our growth we have been able to maintain our culture. Giving back to our employees who put in hard work is the right thing to do, and we will continue doing that no... More

2. "Great Support for LOs"

Current Employee - Loan Officer
    Current Employee - Loan Officer

I have been working at Wintrust Mortgage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent company culture
    Good product mix
    Whole team (processors, underwriters, etc) "own" each deal and want to help you close

Cons

Technology was lagging behind for a long time but very recently major upgrades have been made

Advice to Management

I've found the pay to be on the low side for solid-producing LOs. Bump it up or prepare for talent to go elsewhere.

3. "I would look elsewhere"

I have been working at Wintrust Mortgage full-time

Pros

I don't have any pro's.

Cons

The technology is pathetic and the system crashes constantly. Wintrust doesn't care about there employees and only uses temps for the busy season. They do it to save money and will let you go for the slightest of reasons. This place was very disorganize and it was apparent that management had no clear direction on where the department was heading. I wouldn't recommend this job for anyone looking to get there foot in the door in the mortgage industry. You can find better companies.

Advice to Management

Encourage and reward your employees for production and people will work hard for Wintrust.

Nov 27, 2017

We appreciate the fact that down time has an impact on our employees effectiveness as well as their attitude towards work which is one of the reasons that we transitioned to new hardware and software... More

4. "Sr. Mortgage Originator"

I worked at Wintrust Mortgage full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

As far as a corporate education and work experience, I could not think of a better company to work for. A incredibly unique work environment. A big company with a small company feel. Fair wages, great benefits, opportunities to grow and expand work experience parameters. Very approachable management. A nice, family like atmosphere, mainly attributed by the efforts of their CEO. About as close to excellent as you can get as far as a work atmosphere.

Cons

Technology. Slow to adapt but not nearly as slowly as many companies their size. Historically more reactionary to deficiencies with bandaid temporary solutions rather than pro-actively listening to employees input, searching them out, and seeking real, long term proven solutions that work.

Advice to Management

Pay closer attention. Hire better, proactive, lower level management that can identify and communicate issues effectively before they are a problem and listen to them when they do. Watch your satellites outside the corporate footprint, especially northern States.

Sep 8, 2017

We are glad that you were able to grow your career with Wintrust Mortgage over the past eight years. As we’ve grown we’ve worked hard to maintain a small company feel and culture while offering the... More

"Expectations are unrealistic. Work load is unrealistic with antiquated system!"

Former Employee - Ops in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Ops in Chicago, IL

I worked at Wintrust Mortgage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I can't think of any.

Cons

Training is non exiting. Big click , rude . Lazy employees that management turns their heads to . They rather be their best buddies instead of managing. Need to have qc dept. for loan officer's that submit files that are unrealistic. Closing purchase less than 30 days? Closing refi's in 2 weeks? The worst company for program integration it's 2017. No overtime, no assistance all though we were told that we would have that. Run take a pay cut and run.

Advice to Management

None

Sep 19, 2017

We have dedicated onboarding training for all new hires, in addition to a specialized mortgage training department. We also encourage all employees to take at least two courses of their choosing for... More

6. "Great People, Terrible Technology"

I have been working at Wintrust Mortgage full-time

Pros

The people working there are some of the most professional and hardworking in the industry, which they have to be considering the constraints placed on them by the technology and systems in place.

Cons

Technology, systems, process flow and senior executives! The systems they use are extremely inefficient and hamper productivity like none I've ever seen. It is striking that such a large financial institution would be so behind the eight ball and this can only be attributed to the CEO and COO. After hearing one of the CEO Town Hall meetings, it's pretty clear that his focus is not were it should be, but on cross selling and trying to be like one of the mega banks. Not good for consumers or employees!

Advice to Management

Find a new CEO and COO who are focused on fintech and improving both the consumer and employee experience. In the mortgage world, efficiency is virtue!

Jun 28, 2017

We are glad you have noticed we have a very hardworking and professional group of people. However, we do not believe that they are hardworking and professional because of technology flaws. We believe... More

7. "If you have another option take it"

I worked at Wintrust Mortgage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent insurance plans and cheap plans

Cons

To many peoples careers were eliminated each day including myself

Jul 12, 2017

Thank you for your time and effort at Wintrust Mortgage. We sincerely appreciate your service, and we wish you well moving forward.

8. "Powerful Experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosemont, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosemont, IL

I worked at Wintrust Mortgage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I started with Wintrust Mortgage over 7 yrs ago. Wintrust is an amazing company to work for.

This was an extremely difficult decision to make. I did not leave because of the company. Wintrust Mortgages staff, from entry level to Executive, helped me to become a better employee! I have grown professionally and mentally. I will never forget what this company has done for me!

I recommend employment at Wintrust Mortgage and will be cheering this company on in the background! Thank you for all of the kind words to make my final weeks memorable! Wintrust Mortgage will always be a part of my story!

Cons

No company is perfect, your job/career is what you make of it.

Advice to Management

Thank you for believing in me! Thank you for the support during the past 7 years! Continue to build up our family culture!

*Smile Patrol*

May 26, 2017

Thank you so much for all of your contributions throughout your tenure here at Wintrust Mortgage. Your work ethic and positive attitude is infectious, and it brought everyone around you to another... More

9. "Sr. Mortgage Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Mortgage Consultant in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Mortgage Consultant in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Wintrust Mortgage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Wintrust Mortgage is licensed to originate loans in all 50 States and since it’s Federally chartered, originators are under this umbrella. All loan are processed and underwritten in-house which allows for expedited turn times for closing loans and makes the experience better to the consumer. Wide variety of loan products to offer consumers the best options available to them: Conventional, Jumbo, FHA, VA and USDA Home Loans. Wintrust Mortgage has a family like culture, which is great to be part of. Benefits offered are: Medical, Dental, Vision, 401k, Long Term Disability, Life Insurance and compensation is generous. Marketing materials that are available to originators are valuable and you can have items customized for you by the marketing department.

Cons

Maximum 401k annual company contribution is $2,000.00.

10. "California employee"

Former Employee - Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Wintrust Mortgage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great platform bank plus flexible product line. Good benefits. Great company under prior management. All that changed in 10-2016. Not the same company.

Cons

Terrible unattached management in operations. Not sales oriented. Will be downfall of company. Corporate is leaving CA to their own resources. Sr leaders need to hear local employees. Manage by intimidation Every employee in fear of being fired.

Advice to Management

CEO and Chicago SR exec need to listen to the current CA employees in a safe environment. The prior company was excellent under Keith and Ian and current company philosophy change of management in complete denial Will cause demise of CA. New management from Prospect will ruin this well run company.

Apr 28, 2017

Thank you for filling out a review of your time with Wintrust Mortgage. We work closely with all of our regions to ensure that the company mission, vision, and values are promoted equally at all of... More