Wire Stone Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Wire Stone President Dan Lynch
Dan Lynch

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work-life balance is more than talk here (in 6 reviews)

• Wire Stone is a company led by thoughtful, down-to-earth executives who sincerely work to do what is best for their employees (in 7 reviews)

1. "Very Close to Great"

I worked at Wire Stone full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I came for the agency culture. I stayed because of the agency culture. And even as I was being laid off due to a work force reduction the company leaders did all that they could to make the separation amicable, respectful and as easy as a lay off can be.

While working for Wire Stone I worked with a group of really smart, creative, talented people who I will genuinely miss daily. I learned a lot. I worked on some interesting projects. And at the end my time with Wire Stone, I'm walking away better for the experience.

Cons

My situation in the company was unique but during my time with Wire Stone I never received a performance evaluation or a raise. For me, there were a lot of other non-salary related positives to working with Wire Stone that more than made up for this.

Agency growth resulted in the elimination of annual bonuses which was, in my opinion, not well communicated to the people who were directly impacted by that change. I agreed with the business decision but acknowledging and addressing the ramifications of that decision to employees could have been handled better.

Advice to Management

The culture of Wire Stone is your most important asset. Keep guarding it closely moving forward. Small changes necessitated by short-term circumstances or concessions made to accommodate a new reality may seem trivial as they happen but can very quickly result in a culture that no longer resembles what you set out to create.

Aug 7, 2017 – Corporate Communications

Thank you for taking the time to provide this thoughtful feedback. It is simultaneously heartwarming and difficult to read your review. The circumstances you have recently experienced are by far the... More

2. "creative"

Former Employee - Creative in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Creative in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Wire Stone full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great vibe. annual company party in Vegas. big brands

Cons

Very easy to fall of radar and not feel connected.

Advice to Management

build talent, that is all you are.

3. "Not that impressed"

I worked at Wire Stone full-time

Pros

For the most part, great people

Cons

The cross office resourcing was a mess!

"I worked at Wire Stone full-time (More than a year)"

I worked at Wire Stone full-time

Pros

Great people! Work life balance.

Cons

Senior management needs to pay more attention to employees and acknowledge hard work and dedication.

Advice to Management

Same a con

May 11, 2017 – Corporate Communications

Thank you for your input. We want you to know your voice has been heard and we are actively working on improving employee recognition both peer-to-peer and as a part of upcoming management training.

"Very supportive environment"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Wire Stone full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with and flexible with work life balance in tact.

Cons

Long hallways which is not for everyone. Folks handle it pretty naturally. More ways to bond as groups would be welcome

"New look, same BS."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Wire Stone (Less than a year)

Pros

There really aren't any pros besides unlimited liquor, snacks, and co-workers who you can count on to share their stash of pot with you, though I would not suggest joining the circle since I heard someone who normally participates has herpes.

Cons

So many cons... I'm not quite sure where to start since the past reviews have already covered all of what I have to say. Aside from the positive reviews which I think might have been written or have been coordinated and paid for by management, all the negative ones sound accurate.

This company is known as a revolving door and is willing to sacrifice everything they have, even if that means they have to sacrifice hard workers who submit long hours and weekends, as well as ones who have to put up with other individual's lewd comments just to close an acquisition deal.

This company lacks HR support and does not have an anonymous hotline. Management is not supportive and will do their best to keep dirt under the rug.

Advice to Management

- Stop sacrificing the hard workers (if there are any left).

- Practice company-wide transparency and fair annual reviews with no favoritism involved.

- Accept constructive criticism from your current and former employees rather than being defensive and writing lengthy responses (especially on Glassdoor).

"Great culture, great people, great work"

I worked at Wire Stone full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very employee friendly. Very focused on ensuring the right outcome for clients. Always ready to put in the extra effort needed to deliver high value. Creative souls across the board.

Cons

Suffers the same struggles as most mid-sized agencies: not enough great work to challenge the best people. Not enough revenue to fund the growth they want. Fierce competition and clients that always want more for less.

Advice to Management

Keep on fighting the good fight, rewarding the best people, and ensuring that you never lose sight of the opportunities ahead to grow the business and people. Invest in growing the best team members and rewarding them.

"Something's not right"

I worked at Wire Stone full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They'll pay for you to travel. They'll put you up in nice places. You'll have a stocked liquor cabinet in the office AT ALL times. You'll have no one managing you. Plenty of WFH opportunity. Hey, if that's your thing, this is your shtick.

Cons

You'll have a stocked liquor cabinet in the office AT ALL times (people will literally drink all day). You'll be frowned upon when you don't attend at cocktail meeting because you're actually working. You'll have no one managing you. You can be let go at the drop of a hat with no explanation, when you're billing 10 hours a day. Zero job security. Zero management (they're too busy re-doing your work). Zero feedback. Poor project management. Long hallways. Bad communication.

Advice to Management

TALK to your employees before releasing them. Get better work. Find out where your people excel so you can put them on the right projects. Don't put senior level people in junior positions.

"Not What I Signed Up For"

Former Employee - Senior Account Director in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Account Director in Seattle, WA

I worked at Wire Stone full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free unlimited alcohol and snacks.

Cons

The senior management of this company is blindsided about what really goes on behind closed doors. Salaries weren't at market average and my former colleagues and I worked plenty of overtime hours that never resulted in raises, bonuses or even promotions.

People come and go in this company. Sometimes it’s not voluntary. One day you'd be working with someone on a big project and the next day you find out that they have been let go. You're all alone having to work on that project by yourself. Sometimes that's not the case if someone gets let go, another person might be thrown into the fire not knowing any background of the brand, and you'd be left to hold their hand so they can catch up. It's a very inefficient way to work.

I've seen many people come and go throughout the years as well, many of whom were really talented, but management didn't know how to utilize them properly. The company in general doesn't know the meaning of innovation when it comes to their organization's structure. They keep employees who have been in the company for X amount of years, but get rid of new talent leaving them with old ideas, old practices and closed minds. Wire Stone is a very discouraging company and really isn't worth being a part of, at least as a full-time employee.

It’s hard to tell who to trust in the organization. Many of the employees seem very nice, but after you get to know them well, you’ll realize that they aren’t who they seem to be. Expect to be thrown under the bus plenty of times.

This company is great if you're an intern looking for production house experience (yes, production house), but don't get too comfortable because the time and effort you put into your projects will not be appreciated.

Advice to Management

Management should really pay attention to what goes on in every office, and not be so defensive about the criticism (current and former) employees say about the company. They should open their eyes and listen to every employee's concerns and not expect introverted employees to go straight to their extroverted manager's or HR reps (if they even exist) about advice or suggestions. When it comes to critical HR issues that must be reported ASAP, there should be an anonymous hotline provided to all employees to utilize when appropriate.

The company will only thrive if you hire and keep fresh, new talent. Understand their weaknesses and strengths to better utilize them within the long hallway model, rather than cutting their time with the company short with no apparent or unexplained reasons.

I'm surprised that the company didn't conduct proper reviews during my time there. Employee appraisals are essential at every professional company and should be practiced twice a year. This will help nurture your talent and better understand areas of improvement.

Management should look into developing a more healthy culture, rather than supporting a culture that's hostile.

Management needs to stop denying the flaws of its overall organization from top to bottom.

Mar 31, 2016 – Corporate Communications

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this feedback. It’s clear from all you shared that you value a lot of the things we also hold dear: efficiency, collaboration, utilization, and... More

"Very good for the right people."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Wire Stone full-time

Pros

The three best things about WS are its internal culture, the independence one gets in more senior roles and the small agile project teams for each project (compared to the bloat often seen at big-brand agencies.) This is very good for someone who has the experience and personality to produce high quality work independently. This is specific to the Seattle office. The culture and work environment varies among all of the WS offices.

Cons

Project teams usually include members from offices around the US. One needs to be comfortable having most meetings and reviews via email, phone and/or screen sharing.

Advice to Management

Continue to assess ways to improve collaboration between offices. There's a big upside to continuing to implement ways for creative teams to work together in more dynamic and agile ways.