Wire Stone Employee Reviews about "wire stone"

Updated Oct 24, 2017

3.2
Wire Stone President Dan Lynch
Dan Lynch
Pros
  • "If you want to learn a lot about the industry in a very short amount of time, Wire Stone is a great place to cut your teeth(in 9 reviews)

• "Very good average work/life balance(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Wire Stone is a very discouraging company and really isn't worth being a part of, at least as a full-time employee(in 5 reviews)

• "long hallways(in 4 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "wire stone"

Return to all Reviews

"It's all in the manifesto"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Wire Stone full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You will never be bored of Wire Stone. It is not the sort of place where boredom occurs, and no day is quite like the next. People at Wire Stone are among the kindest, most talented you could ever wish to meet. It is a great place for career growth and opportunities to learn from your colleagues. The salary and the benefits are competitive. The health insurance benefits are especially good.

Cons

You will never be bored. Occasionally, you may wish you were. \o/ Have struggled with a work / life balance, but also struggle with being a workaholic. Two pieces of advice I would offer are: * You set your own pace and it largely up to you to keep it sustainable. If you need help all you need is to ask for it. * Don't be afraid to market yourself. It is good experience.

Continue reading

"Great people in the trenches"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Boise, ID

I worked at Wire Stone full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you want to learn a lot about the industry in a very short amount of time, Wire Stone is a great place to cut your teeth. As an intern who transitioned into a full time employee, I was given an opportunity to work side-by-side with an incredible group of designers, project and account managers, copywriters, strategists and a variety of clients. Wire Stone does a great job of setting expectations and holding you to account. You're expected to produce and you're recognized when you do. Basically, you're treated like an adult. The culture is pretty decent and there is a lot of talent to learn from if you take the initiative. I'm appreciative and grateful for everything I learned at Wire Stone (good and bad) and am glad this was my first design gig out of the gate.

Cons

Long hallways, rush deadlines and late night and weekend work expectations can be a bit draining at times, but that's pretty much part of the package. You have to take the good with the bad.

"Wire Stone is changing"

2.0

I have been working at Wire Stone full-time

Pros

Before being purchased, Wire Stone had quite a bit going for it. It was not a perfect company (far from it), but there were undeniably high points that contrasted against the less fortunate parts.

Cons

Everything is up in the air because of the purchase by an outside mega-conglomerate. The official communication channels would have us believe that everything is great and wonderful, but off-the-record talk in our real and electronic hallways paints a very different picture - one that makes the official communication feel like a marketing story that is out of touch with reality. Many of the high points of what Wire Stone once was are now being squashed by the stodgy conglomerate corporate machine we're now a part of. From an employee perspective, the few perks of being bought look to be outweighed by what we will lose in the coming months.

"Very Close to Great"

I worked at Wire Stone full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I came for the agency culture. I stayed because of the agency culture. And even as I was being laid off due to a work force reduction the company leaders did all that they could to make the separation amicable, respectful and as easy as a lay off can be. While working for Wire Stone I worked with a group of really smart, creative, talented people who I will genuinely miss daily. I learned a lot. I worked on some interesting projects. And at the end my time with Wire Stone, I'm walking away better for the experience.

Cons

My situation in the company was unique but during my time with Wire Stone I never received a performance evaluation or a raise. For me, there were a lot of other non-salary related positives to working with Wire Stone that more than made up for this. Agency growth resulted in the elimination of annual bonuses which was, in my opinion, not well communicated to the people who were directly impacted by that change. I agreed with the business decision but acknowledging and addressing the ramifications of that decision to employees could have been handled better.

August 7, 2017Corporate Communications

Thank you for taking the time to provide this thoughtful feedback. It is simultaneously heartwarming and difficult to read your review. The circumstances you have recently experienced are by far the most challenging part of managing our business the way we do. It is part of our shared ethos and important to us as managers to compassionately and respectfully connect with one another as friends and peers. Given the way you described your relationships and experience, please rest assured that you’re missed throughout our long hallways and you made a positive impact on our business. The business reality is that resources must be carefully managed and rebalanced as the market and our clients demand and, in this case, it led to the elimination of a position. It is unfortunate that responsible management of our overhead labor cost has been misinterpreted as “workforce reduction,” which implies sweeping headcount reduction, generally due to compromised financial performance. We are compelled to address this discrepancy, as this is not the state of our business, nor do we anticipate it will be in the near future. While we have conducted regular performance reviews for the last several years, we realize every manager-employee relationship is different and are disappointed to hear that you missed out on this valuable experience. To encourage proactive management and mentorship, we recently pivoted to a nimbler process of goal-setting and quarterly check-ins and hope this helps to ensure all employees are getting the feedback and coaching they need and desire. In the interest of clarity and transparency, we do want to note that there are specifics of your employment experience and the described compensation structure that are not necessarily consistent with that of the average employee. For that reason, it is difficult to comment on the compensation topics. The reminder to safeguard our culture is timely and appreciated. Thank you for the maturity and kindness in your approach. We wish you the very best in your next move.

"Not What I Signed Up For"

1.0
    Former Employee - Senior Account Director in Seattle, WA

I worked at Wire Stone full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free unlimited alcohol and snacks.

Cons

The senior management of this company is blindsided about what really goes on behind closed doors. Salaries weren't at market average and my former colleagues and I worked plenty of overtime hours that never resulted in raises, bonuses or even promotions. People come and go in this company. Sometimes it’s not voluntary. One day you'd be working with someone on a big project and the next day you find out that they have been let go. You're all alone having to work on that project by yourself. Sometimes that's not the case if someone gets let go, another person might be thrown into the fire not knowing any background of the brand, and you'd be left to hold their hand so they can catch up. It's a very inefficient way to work. I've seen many people come and go throughout the years as well, many of whom were really talented, but management didn't know how to utilize them properly. The company in general doesn't know the meaning of innovation when it comes to their organization's structure. They keep employees who have been in the company for X amount of years, but get rid of new talent leaving them with old ideas, old practices and closed minds. Wire Stone is a very discouraging company and really isn't worth being a part of, at least as a full-time employee. It’s hard to tell who to trust in the organization. Many of the employees seem very nice, but after you get to know them well, you’ll realize that they aren’t who they seem to be. Expect to be thrown under the bus plenty of times. This company is great if you're an intern looking for production house experience (yes, production house), but don't get too comfortable because the time and effort you put into your projects will not be appreciated.

March 31, 2016Corporate Communications

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this feedback. It’s clear from all you shared that you value a lot of the things we also hold dear: efficiency, collaboration, utilization, and transparency, to name a few. Much of your criticism can be addressed by previous responses to other reviewers; we’ll reiterate quickly, though. (1) We have a performance management process. (2) Our pay scale is consistent with industry norms. (3) We pay for performance and reward hard work. (4) We do have an anonymous hotline for employee concerns. For greater detail, please see past responses. Most Wire Stone employees are salaried and have exempt status, so the notion of payment for overtime is not a realistic expectation or practice. We work in a timeline-driven industry, which certainly requires and supports nontraditional schedules. This can be as much of a perk as it is a pain, depending on individual preferences. Reporting Managers are empowered to offer teams personal time and R&R after a big push toward a deadline, with a watchful eye toward our most valuable and finite resource – human capacity. As much as we’d like to retain all our employees indefinitely, it is of course a fact that not all professional relationships come with lifelong guarantees. Termination of employment is never a decision we make lightly and in circumstances where we move quickly, we do so in the best interests of all involved. It is our goal to operate with kindness and integrity, understanding that lives and families are impacted by the business decisions we make. It is inconvenient for all of us when teams are disrupted by staffing changes; we do our best to avoid it and are grateful that most of the time when people make the decision to leave, they also extend the professional courtesy of lengthy notice. If ever we are blindsided, it is because we are unwilling to sacrifice the trust, respect, and autonomy that makes this a great place to work. The moment we begin obsessively policing our employees is the moment Wire Stone loses its entrepreneurial spirit, which is not a sacrifice we are willing to make. Active management, ongoing conversations, and open doors eventually surface any behaviors or activities that could be harmful to our business. We love this place you have deemed discouraging and worthless. In this environment, we do expect even introverted employees to seek out a member of the management team or HR to raise serious concerns and discuss policies and process. Communication might be more difficult for some, but is a basic expectation and ingredient for success in this and most workplaces. While Glassdoor might be informative for jobseekers and cathartic for reviewers, this venue is not the most effective for those who hope to truly create change. We continue to encourage our current employees to open the lines of communication internally and help us build a stronger Wire Stone. Your voice will be appreciated and respected. Thank you for your time; we are sorry this employment relationship and our mutual investment did not work out and sincerely wish you the best.

"Exciting Company, Great Culture, Wonderful People, Interesting Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

I have been working at Wire Stone full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great employees, fun environment and inviting spaces. We laugh a lot and work with some of the most creative and smart business minded professionals in the industry. We have a great executive team. They are transparent, they are good to their teams, and they believe in the growth of the company as much as the growth of the individual. We have a great culture. Wire Stone is supportive of a healthy work/life balance and are flexible with family committments. There is a focus on wellness of the body and mind, and a real effort to connect as a team to experience true community.

Cons

Could benefit from having a new hire orientation to make a new person feel that they understand the company, departments, and org chart. Strong HR procedures and on boarding process would help a new employee feel more grounded in their understanding of their job, their management and their expectations.

"could not be happier with my career at Wire Stone"

I have been working at Wire Stone full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Wire Stone is a company led by thoughtful, down-to-earth executives who sincerely work to do what is best for their employees. I have grown up professionally and personally inside of this company, and have always been offered the support and trust I need to exceed my goals. I have experienced career growth beyond what I thought possible and have seen many of my peers do the same, as we have evolved from a small, scrappy organization to a professional company with clear career paths and regular internal promotions. I'm certainly biased in support of this organization, because they have had my back at every turn. My coworkers, peers, and bosses sincerely care about me as a person and work to set me up for success. Not only would I recommend this company to a friend, lots of my friends wish they worked here and we have hired a few of them!

Cons

We are such a transparent company that leadership decisions are openly questioned, as you can see by the reviews on this site. While our managers and executives successfully managed our company through an economic downturn that hit a lot of independent marketing companies really hard, those hard decisions caused morale challenges for a lot of people who had been here since the early days. The only thing that really gets me down at work is hearing the complaints of few impact the upward momentum of the rest of the crew. However, there is less talk about the past and more focus on the future every day. The last couple years have been full of positive momentum and I have a lot of faith in the leadership in place at this company!

"I absolutely love coming to work everyday."

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Wire Stone full-time

Pros

This is a company of good, smart people who want to do great work. The culture and the people are fun and fabulous. We get along, we joke, we laugh, we hang out outside of work, we get stuff done. With a wide array of clients and projects, there is plenty of innovative, exciting work to be had; as well as freedom and opportunity to push the envelope in several areas. Upper management is dedicated and approachable. I always, always feel that my voice is heard and my suggestions and opinions are welcomed and respected.

Cons

I've been in the agency world for about 7 years and have experience at all kinds of shops, big and small. I've never seen an agency that didn't have some sore spots. Wire Stone is no exception in the sense that there are times when resourcing is a challenge, new processes create frustration, working down long hallways can be tough, etc. But at the end of the day, I love it here. The fun, happy days far out-weigh the stressful ones, and that is more than I can say for several of the other Chicago agencies where I've worked. Also, I've seen several comments about salaries being low/unfair, but I don't believe that is the case more than any other advertising agency. Unfortunately, in this industry you often have to change companies in order to jump your salary. This was not my first agency, and the salary they started me at was very competitive -- a jump from where I was before.

October 22, 2014Corporate Communications

Thank you for your feedback and for the positive vibes you bring to the team every day. Because of our distributed “long hallways” model, passion and motivation in one office translates to a morale boost in offices across the country. One consistent comment throughout our almost fifteen years of business is “the people who work here are the best thing about Wire Stone.” Thank you for being a part of our legacy of hiring good humans and empowering them to be successful; we are so glad you brought this perspective to the Glassdoor conversation.

"Unless you're entry level or unqualified, save yourself the frustration"

1.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Wire Stone full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The work at Wire Stone alternates between disorganized chaos and totally dead. Employees to show up late, leave early, and generally just do as much or little as they like. If you can keep your head down as client deadlines approach you can get away with being bad at your job or just doing very little. It's a bit dicey as someone is generally going to get blamed for the chaos but nothing is ever done about it so if you don't mind a bit of stress every once in a while it can be quite nice. Almost nobody ever gets fired. An employee can be incredibly bad at their job or generally lazy and they won't be let go. If you're good at politicking you can buddy up with the higher ranking people in the office and get away with just about anything. There's a semi-regular trip to Las Vegas in which the highest ranking people in the company spend crazy amounts of money to gather the entire company for an all expenses paid meet and greet weekend with LOTS of drinking. It's actually a great time as long as you don't think about all the other stuff the money should be spent on. If you're a completely unqualified entry level worker, Wire Stone will generally hire you anyway as long as you're willing to work for a low enough wage. A "senior software developer" was hired a while ago who had zero computer experience. They tend to base your title on your age, not your experience so it could be a good job for someone looking to switch careers late in life, it could also be a great job for someone just graduating college looking to get something on their resume.

Cons

The leadership is not to be trusted in any way whatsoever. They routinely lie to employees about the state of the company, saying whatever fits their goals at the moment. In one of the monthly meetings employees were told both that the company was breaking profit records and singing amazing new clients, and that there wasn't enough money for raises this year. About every 18 months the leadership claims they're finally getting serious about raises and employee reviews. I have been with the company long enough to see 4 of these and never once had a review go full circle (out to my managers for review, and the come back with feedback). The compensation is incredibly uneven, not based at all on merit, and the only way I've ever seen anyone get a raise is by getting a competing offer and threatening to leave. During the time I worked here I had my pay cut several times due to rising health care costs, tight economy, or whatever else leadership came up with. The heads of each respective office are a very exclusive clique and they often remind the employees of this. The one thing you can do to get fired (I've seen it happen twice) is to get on their bad sides. They often go on "sales trips" which are glorified vacations to international destinations. The international office for Wire Stone consists of one person and if not for the fact that it's necessary to be "international" to get contracts with Wire Stone's largest clients, I would suspect it serves only as an excuse for regular trips to Europe. The benefits are quite bad. The 401k has no matching and the health care plan gets more expensive every year. If you're told that the 401k will soon have matching, don't believe it. I was told that when I was hired, as were several of my coworkers. As far as I can tell there are no actual plans to do this.

10. "Best place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Strategist in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Wire Stone full-time for more than a year

Pros

Wire Stone is a medium sized agency with an impressive client roster including Microsoft, Boeing, Motorola, Nike, Conagra...to name a few. We have an amazing workplace culture that is not for everyone: we work hard and we comeback the next day and work even harder. The caliber of talent that people working at Wire Stone is truly impressive - and they are nice people! The type of people one friends on Facebook not because you have to, but because you want to. In terms of career opportunities it's pretty simple: those who act like owners and bring their A game are given wonderful opportunities to learn and grow. People who work hard and smart are respected and valued by management. Personally, I've never had a better supervisor. I receive invaluable mentorship, which has helped me become a stronger professional and a happier person. Clients truly respect the caliber of the work delivered by people at Wire Stone. It's not uncommon for clients to refer to Wire Stone as "partners" - and it's also not uncommon for clients to say "I love what you guys are doing for us" or "you guys blew our socks off".

Cons

Growing pains of medium sized agency competing against the big boys. We are the David in the David and Goliath story. We don't have access to all the infrastructure, purchasing power, etc. that larger agencies do.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 11 English Reviews