Wireless Lifestyle Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.2
Paul Kushnir

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • My coworkers were great people and it was a fun environment (in 5 reviews)

• Lots of advancement opportunities (in 5 reviews)

Cons

1. "Perfect Opportunity for Driven, Passionate Individuals!"

I worked at Wireless Lifestyle full-time

Pros

Competitive spirit and having the right mindset will take you far with Wireless Lifestyle. This company is not for the faint of heart, but if you are willing to work hard and have fun, you will find success. With that success will come the rewards of high compensation checks and other rewards. Hidden amongst the ranks of the WL, are some of the most genuine and driven leaders I have ever had the privilege to work with. The weak need not apply.

Cons

Corporate level growth opportunities not currently available, but company is in ever expanding growth mode. Growth may be more readily available in a few years.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on your company's greatest asset, your people. Continuously push them to be their best but remember to laugh during the tough times.

2. "Retail Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Wireless Lifestyle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good incentives both to make aditional money as well as great prizes, health benefits, job security (as long as you perform well), advancement oppertunity, team oriented atmosphere.

Cons

As store manager work life balance is not very respected. Cannot take 2 days in a row off unless taking vacations. Can't take Mondays, Fridays or Saturdays off (unless taking vacation). You never get any national holidays off because they are BIG selling days because the everyone else has the day off. Holiday season is horrible. The store will close early the night before Thanksgiving. The store will be closed for Thanksgiving day and reopen at 8am the next morning. From through Christmas you will have to work longer shifts and 6 days a week because of holiday hours. The work life balance is really mynonly compliant.

Advice to Management

Make work life balance a priority.

3. "Horrible employer"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Wireless Lifestyle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Started off fun, I work with some good people.
    They left and it all went down hill. Nothing more to say.

Cons

Management. Company is a mess, management has no experience and talks their way up. Horrible company to work for. My DM had no respect for any of his associates.

Advice to Management

I was promoted to ASM, and had an issue with the store manager. He was lazy and sat in back all day. I complained to my DM to get it fixed. He told me he didn't believe me. Absolutely horrible choice for a job. Good at first but you begin to learn how poor this company really is.

4. "Retail Store Manager"

Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Wireless Lifestyle full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Discount in cell phone service and contest. WL used to be great company before . Past few years has been bad

Cons

A lot of micro management. Big disconnect between home office and field. Big turn over the disconnect. Tenured employees are barely valued.

Advice to Management

There's a lot. Probably wont fit here

5. "Assistant Store Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Miami, FL

I have been working at Wireless Lifestyle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is not a bad company if you are starting your career.

Cons

Upper Managment do not have any idea of what they do, always improvising. Just a stepping stone, transition job

Advice to Management

Get rid of a couple of your Regional Directors.

6. "A Company With A Lot To Learn"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Wireless Lifestyle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Sales job with hourly pay and commission

* Great for people entering any sales field

Cons

* Little to no room to move up. Once you're store manager, you're going to peak your pay. You can make more as the manager at a fast food restaurant

* I cannot stress how disorganized WL is, in every direction there are changes that need to be made, but they seem to make changes that don't make sense

* Constantly threatening you with write ups and termination. Regional Directors and District Managers especially.

* Broken promises for promotions

* Commission payout is ridiculously low especially for how much revenue you're making for the company

* You will be asked to work 50+ hour weeks constantly. They make it seem like it's only during holidays in your training, but expect to do this often

* Very understaffed. If someone goes on vacation, the store will usually have a crisis for scheduling

* Quotas that don't make sense (This goes back to how disorganized they are)

* Terminations and writes ups are not fair. An employee can do something and get in trouble, while another employee will do the exact same thing and nothing will be done

* WL micromanages too much. I joined when things were less micromanaged and sales were just as strong as now, and everyone loved the job. Now that they've changed their mentality, people are constantly feeling burnt out, stressed out, and are leaving the company at alarming rates.

* You will feel like WL does not care about your well-being.

* Training is very unprofessional, and the only way to explain it is that it is a joke.

* Favoritism. Most companies have this problem, but WL brings it to a new level.

Advice to Management

First off, I feel like there are some upper management positions that need to be evaluated. District Managers and Regional Operation Managers. I don't think the District manager position is very useful. They work closely with the store managers, only to tell them if they're doing good or bad. Aside from that, they don't do a whole lot. Essentially they are the Hype Men of WL, and they don't even do that very well. They actually discourage employees from doing anymore than the bare minimum. Regional Operation Managers on the other hand have a job that is quite useful after the recent changes were made. They take care of inventory issues, logistics of product on a store level and more. However! All 3 ROM's that I have met have all explained that their job is very easy, and are usually done with their day within only a few hours. I believe something can be done to make these positions more useful and less wasteful to the company.

Give Store Associates more incentives to work up the ladder. As an RSA that has denied ASM promotions twice, this is why. As an RSA, my ASM only makes 8% more than what I do. However the amount of additional work given to ASM's is excruciating. They have the same quotas as an RSA (which is very high at most locations), have more responsibilities, and take on more stress from the higher ups. That is not worth an 8% increase to anyone. I'd suggest a higher hourly rate and keep the same ASM commission structure for people going from RSA to ASM.

In the past few months, across the board the company is having people with a lot of tenure leave. In the past 3 months my district has lost more than 20 years of WL experience from its employees leaving, and it's discouraging people that have been hired in the past year. When you see your most experienced managers and salesmen quit, you don't make things tougher, which is exactly what's been going on.

Change the training. The training program is a joke. While most of that is because of what Sprint has put in place, as a dealer, I think there are some changes that could be made on your level. Possibly some structure during their time for shadowing. Right now it's just "Go out on the sales floor and watch what they do". There's no direction for new employees for when they're shadowing. Give structure to this, and I think you'll see new employees do much better starting off.

Stop watching your staff count. It's crazy to think that my store (Among the top 50 in the company) has problems with scheduling when someone calls off or takes a vacation. Most stores are severely understaffed. Stop hiring the bare minimum to run a store. The company has plenty of revenue coming in to give most stores another salesmen to avoid this kind of stuff. Employees feel guilty when they take a vacation because of the work load it puts on everyone else. It's ridiculous.

7. "Great stepping stone and helps open your eyes to the real world"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Richmond Heights, St. Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Richmond Heights, St. Louis, MO

I have been working at Wireless Lifestyle (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule pay is great if you sale hard and there is always a chance to go to an amazing paid vacation if your the top salesperson in your district.

Cons

They pressure you to be dishonest and "bundle" accessories without telling the customers what they are really paying for
    They focus too much on new lines of service so you have to con and deceive customers to get one over on the customers

8. "Not Bad"

I worked at Wireless Lifestyle full-time

Pros

Great pay because of base + commission.
    Direct management was great.
    The hours were long

Cons

District/regional management was a mess/disorganized/kept getting new people.
    none other than that. Loved working with everyone

Advice to Management

None to give

9. "Worst Employer I have ever had"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Wireless Lifestyle (Less than a year)

Pros

Commission rate isn't awful, over all vibe of stores are decent.

Cons

Terrible work/life balance, poor hourly pay rate, higher expectations then corporate stores have, terrible vacation structure.

Advice to Management

I am management. I hate my life because of this company.

"its ok to work here"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Long Beach, CA

I worked at Wireless Lifestyle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great co workers and usually a fun environment

Cons

too much focus on NEW LINES only

Advice to Management

I more feel bad for how the managers are treated and how tough upper management is on them. Not so much on asst manager or staff