WiseTech Global "cake" Reviews | Glassdoor

WiseTech Global Employee Reviews about "cake"

Updated Sep 26, 2019

4.2
WiseTech Global CEO and Founder Richard White
Richard White
Pros
  • "There is little silo-effect, in that teams cross-communicate both in and outside the work environment(in 14 reviews)

• "Sports, weekly beer o'clock, monthly cake days(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "WiseTech has changed and grown exponentially in the last few years, including listing on the ASX(in 7 reviews)

• "CEO is the bottleneck of all big/small decision, in most cases(in 6 reviews)

Reviews about "cake"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "CargoWise is a fun place to work!"

in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at WiseTech Global

Pros

The CargoWise Chicago office (which is located in Schaumburg) has an extremely friendly and relaxed atmosphere. Everyone gets along well and we are like an extended family here. I've made some great friends while working here including some good friends in our Australian and UK offices. Our benefits package is fantastic! I've compared with some friends and it really does beat most of their plans as far as medical, dental and 401K are concerned. We have fresh fruit delivered each week which makes for great breakfasts plus things like donuts and coffee cakes are brought in for us from time to time. We have Chicken and Cake day once a month, as well as Beer O Clock with Wings every Friday. This truly has been the best company I've worked for!

Cons

Most management is based in our Sydney office which can cause occasional communication issues. This varies depending on which team you are working with.

WiseTech Global2011-07-06

"My experience working at WiseTech Global"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Sydney

I have been working at WiseTech Global full-time for less than a year

Pros

A culture of getting things done, but not at the expense of the people. There's an overarching framework for how software is delivered however, each sub-team has the freedom to adapt their own implementation to what works best for them. An assortment of free daily breakfasts, Beer o'clock every Friday afternoon, monthly Cake Day's (town-hall style meetings) with a Q&A slot with the Founder. Amazing on-boarding support for new starters. Deep technical expertise and serious diversity of workforce which is a recipe for divergent thinking.

Cons

All companies have room for improvement, though no specific examples come to mind when writing this review.

WiseTech Global2019-09-05

"Where careers go to die"

Former Employee - Developer in Sydney

I worked at WiseTech Global full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free food Some great people work there Little to no management (From what i saw) Cake day once a month (more free food)

Cons

They hire and fire people during probation like it's nothing, i saw it multiple times in the short period of time that i was there. It's incredibly reckless and careless when playing with people's livelihoods and future. If you have a young family and mortgage like me then tread-carefully. You've been warned. Directionless and absent of leadership They dont use industry leading tools like JIRA and Confluence Skills we're going stale in the role as they use technology from yesteryear. Their technology is antiquated to the extreme. Going from here to Facebook or Google seems laughable. Wouldn't recommend the place to anyone really.

WiseTech Global2019-09-27

"Great company to grow and work at with an incredible culture, sweet perks and amazing people"

Former Employee - Associate Software Developer in Sydney

I worked at WiseTech Global full-time for less than a year

Pros

WiseTech is undoubtedly an amazing place to work at. I interned at WiseTech as a software developer, and I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. The work is challenging and interesting, which gave me opportunities to grow and learn, and with the flat organisational structure which allows anyone to talk to anyone at anytime, developers are given a large amount of autonomy and freedom which empowers us to innovate and have meaningful contributions to the vision and direction of large projects that matter. There is a large push to attract the best and right people for the company, which not only means attracting very technically skilled and talented developers, but some of the most compassionate, friendly and empathetic people I have met. Teams are tight knit and there is a focus on growing and moving forward together as a collective, which means supporting each other everyday to make us a better person than the one we were yesterday. The perks that you get while working at WiseTech are really awesome, with Beer O'Clock every Friday and Cake Day every month, along with all the awesome perks you'd expect from working at an top technology company that genuinely puts its people first. Beyond free food, during my time at WiseTech (e.g. free breakfast, fruit and snacks), the most valuable perk for me was the mentoring program for interns, which paired me up with a team member who showed me through the ropes during my first weeks and was invested in my personal development, which made me comfortable with integrating myself into my team and the company - perhaps the most underrated but valuable benefit. In addition, each developer is provided with leading edge toys to play with, which includes a very high end computer and 2 large 4k monitors that makes work really enjoyable. WiseTech also heavily engages and invests into technology education, with initiatives and sponsorship of programs that include the BiG Day In's, the National Computer Science School and the Co-op scholarship which is incredibly valuable and speaks volumes about the company's interest in nurturing the next generation and attracting talent from an early age, this is something I am particularly passionate about and I care a lot about.

Cons

The office isn't in the most accessible location, but there is a company bus to get to and from the train station which is nice, and a walk in the morning once in a while is nice =)

WiseTech Global2019-08-16

"Great Company to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I have been working at WiseTech Global full-time for less than a year

Pros

Company provides free breakfast everyday, beer O'clock every Friday and Cake Day every month and so much more. There are on-site gym classes and some gym facilities. Office hours are flexible, can wear casual clothes everyday. Company culture is great.

Cons

The location is a little bit far from train station.

WiseTech Global2019-07-19

"Great perks and culture, held back by internal tools"

Current Employee - Front End Developer

I have been working at WiseTech Global part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great perks Well equipped workspace (2 massive monitors and powerful pc) Very open and flat office, speak to anyone at anytime Sports, weekly beer o'clock, monthly cake days.

Cons

Pretty much all the internal tooling (testing, source control, work tracking etc) are all made in-house. Although this is very commendable, as a developer, would much prefer using the more common tooling, such as git, jira etc Still coding in winforms

WiseTech Global2019-04-01

"Very nice company with lot of emphasis on employee satisfaction."

Current Employee - Product Manager in Alexandria

I have been working at WiseTech Global full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good working environment, cake day, beer o clock, experienced team. A huge kitchen and gym. Shower facility and everything that you can think of.

Cons

Too far, the mgmt has the shuttle bus from green square and central though which is very helpful. Other than this this company has no cons

WiseTech Global2018-02-06

"Great company, culture, people, and product"

Current Employee - Installations Specialist in Sydney

I have been working at WiseTech Global full-time for more than a year

Pros

WiseTech Global is quintessentially Australian at heart - a flat management structure and a have-a-go attitude towards new work and ideas contribute greatly to the internal culture. There is little silo-effect, in that teams cross-communicate both in and outside the work environment. Due to this, despite the polar opposites of work people may do, most if not all employees are jovial, inclusive, and friendly. Company-wide stand-up meetings once-monthly are looked forward to, not only to hear about the recent work of the company from the CEO himself, but for the Thai food and cakes that are served afterwards on what is affectionately dubbed 'Cake Day'. The work is rewarding, and the product is constantly improved upon to accelerate efficiency within the freight forwarding world. Movement within the company and teams is commonplace so as to spread knowledge and generate the best fit for each person. Add Friday drinks, Foosball, Fifa and Free breakfasts and you've got a fine company.

Cons

Due to location parking is difficult to find, but the walk from either Mascot or Green Square station, or taking the complimentary morning/evening bus to Green Square station, compensates for this.

WiseTech Global2017-12-12

"WTG"

I have been working at WiseTech Global full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great breakfast, beer 'clock and cake day

Cons

No transparency and trust overlooked.

WiseTech Global2017-03-25

"Fabulous culture / Lacking innovation"

Software Engineer in Sydney

I worked at WiseTech Global

Pros

- Excellent culture and diversity! There are so many people with so many backgrounds and religions its almost like the entire world's representatives are in the one office. This shows how open they are in terms of diversity. - Excellent perks! With your morning breakfast choice of eggs and toast and jams, or a wide variety of fruits, or even if you want to pick from an endless list of cereals, you will not run out of options in the morning! - The downstairs gym area and personal trainer will make sure you work off all that food! - Monthly birthday celebrations are provided with a wide range of cakes and even Thai food for lunch! - Pizzas and drinks every Friday afternoon! - Most people are friendly and there is a general sense of a stress free environment. - CEO and chief architect have a great attitude and won't hesitate to spend time to talk to you. - Their x-mas parties rock! Literally ;) - Their hardware is phenomenal with every engineer provided two 42'' monitors with hexa-core processors for your machines... very spoiled! If perks are what you are looking for in a company, this place is for you!

Cons

- Software is extremely stale, with WinForms (outdated since 2005), ADO.NET DataSets (superseded by EF in 2007) & Windows CE for device development (outdated since 2006). - They've reinvented the wheel on almost the entire stack, with a custom ORM, custom CI, custom cloud, custom query builders (rather than linq to entities) and even custom accounting software (instead of SAP/Oracle/MYOB). The majority of the developers are experts in WiseTech's specific architecture, but have no idea about the frameworks and tools out in the real world, making it extremely hard for them to be valuable in the software industry. - Their flagship product is distributed via RDP to customers rather than standard practice SOA or Smart Client apps! This makes the usability experience of the product horrendous with lagging and latency on every user interaction. The intermittent hanging is also a detriment to user experience. - Any new opportunities to write new modules in their flagship product are still written in WinForms with no developer interests in delving into tools more recent than 10 years! - Code base doesn't adhere to best practices: PascalCasing private fields, test classes in the same source file as implementation classes, namespaces don't match folder structure, no dependency injection (making mocking and stubbing difficult), and UX practices are non-existent (i.e. documentation over intuitive flow through the app). - Archaic task management system based off a single book that targets industrial warehouses which was written in the 1980s (when PCs weren't even on everyone's desktops!). Most software development companies these days follow 21st century books written by software experts that recommend a vast array of agile methodologies to suit any software process. Again, rather than using existing task management tools, they have resorted to re-inventing their own heavy, slow, unresponsive, non-intuitive incarnation. - Emotional attachment to projects, leading to overly defensive attitudes towards change and improvements. This is precisely the opposite of innovation. - Their new(er) rebuild has been (so far) 6 years in the making and is using "current" tools like WPF & JQuery which have already been outdated before the product is even complete. It is still monolithic, which means staleness might last yet another decade while the rest of the tech world changes around them. If pride in a company's software solution is what you are looking for, this place is not for you!

WiseTech Global2016-03-10

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 14 reviews