Wiser (Tennessee) Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 20, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "So much flexibility and great job culture"

Current Employee - Lidar Technician in Murfreesboro, TN
    Current Employee - Lidar Technician in Murfreesboro, TN

I have been working at Wiser (Tennessee) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been at Wiser for 2 years. The nature of the work comes in cycles. Sometimes we have so much work that we are cranking it out on overtime, and sometimes it's slower and there's more downtime, room for training, etc. This company really is built on family friendly culture and the flexibility is great. If you have to leave because of an appointment, kids schedule,etc, there's times when you can make up your hours. It's really a great place to be and I'm thankful for my job as there are not many jobs in this field here in Murfreesboro.

Cons

The work is in cycles so different times of year it is busier than others

Advice to Management

Find a way to be more connected

2. "It feels like home"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Murfreesboro, TN

I have been working at Wiser (Tennessee) (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a great place to work with some of the kindness people that I have ever met. Southern hospitality is alive and well at Wiser. The schedule is flexible, which is great for when life happens. No two days look the same at Wiser, so you are constantly learning and growing. It is an exciting place to work and it is a fun place to work. I couldn't imagine having a better job or working with better people. At Wiser opinions are heard and they are open to new ideas, which is rare for companies. Wiser genuinely is constantly looking to be better.

Cons

I personally have no complaints.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

"Ignorance and Greed are the norm"

Former Employee - Geospatial Analyst in Murfreesboro, TN

I worked at Wiser (Tennessee) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people are great, however very few competent employees remain. You may get a security clearance which helps you find a job with a reputable company. They train great people who fill positions with other businesses quite well.

Cons

This company owes EVERYBODY money. If you get your paycheck on time, dont expect to be able to cash it right away. 401K and HSA funds have been diverted to make payroll or keep the lights on. When people leave, they dont get paid their vacation for months. Work is lacking diversity despite years of saying they will diversify.

Advice to Management

Stop fooling yourselves. You aren't fooling anyone else.

5. "Get some entry-level experience and get out."

Former Employee - Geospatial Analyst in Murfreesboro, TN

I worked at Wiser (Tennessee) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's actually a decent place to get some experience and to get a security clearance. They will hire you straight out of school and train you on the job. It's not easy to find an employer who will do that.

Cons

You have very little chance to advance within the company. Be sure to have a solid exit strategy before relocating here for the job. Layoffs are frequent (1-2 times a year) and don't expect the layoff criteria to be related to merit at all. Members of upper-middle management employ bullying tactics that are frequently tolerated by upper management. HR is not going to help you.

Advice to Management

Invest in staffing and workload projection. Frequent layoffs are disrupting to employees' lives and give the company a bad reputation. Don't tolerate bullying.

6. "Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Murfreesboro, TN

I have been working at Wiser (Tennessee) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Have your own nice office, Friendly and talented co-workers, nice break room with relaxation area, onsite trainer and yoga classes, company outings and pay is decent.

Cons

training, communication, leadership, high expectations, management

Advice to Management

The only issue I had within my group when I was there was a lack of direction and communication. But everything else was great.

"Company that cares about you"

Current Employee - Geospatial/Imagery Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Geospatial/Imagery Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Wiser (Tennessee) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wiser is a company that believes in growing from within. Communication is open and honest and the company cares about the individual employees.

Cons

Who doesn't want more/better benefits? I think this goes for every company-especially in this economy.

Advice to Management

Continue to be open and honest about job security during this uncertain economy.

"BIG CHANGES HAVE HAPPENED- A much better place than before"

Current Employee - Geospatial Analyst in Murfreesboro, TN
    Current Employee - Geospatial Analyst in Murfreesboro, TN

I have been working at Wiser (Tennessee) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The management team now listens to analyst. A cooperative/ team environment has been created. I am happy with my experience and pay here at Wiser. The past was mucked up by completely inept managers that were motivated by their own success. Now the team is focused on success as a whole. Fostering an environment where all can grow and succeed seems to be a priority now. Wiser is a great place NOW- NOT so much a year ago.

Cons

In this business there are waves of work encountered by all.

Advice to Management

Keep up what you are doing.

"Inability to manage a workload and keep contracts coming in"

Former Employee - GIS Technician in Murfreesboro, TN
    Former Employee - GIS Technician in Murfreesboro, TN

I worked at Wiser (Tennessee) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I do not honestly have any real pros. They bought us some lunches every once in a blue moon?

Cons

They are not very capable at keeping a constant workflow of contracts in for GIS and more or less use college graduates and lure them in and then dispose of them when they don't have work for a little while. Their business model is to get likely the a medium bid price and leverage a fast turn around time by creating a culture expecting you to work 50+ hour weeks.

Advice to Management

Understand your employees would enjoy having a life, enjoy getting paid somewhere close to the median income of entry level GIS and feel work on the feeling they have of being disposable. When I was there everyone used their breaks to search for their next job on the unclassified computers. From what I understand from people there instead of working on that they just banned job search sites.

"Worst Professional Experience In My Life"

Former Employee - Geospatial Analyst in Murfreesboro, TN

I worked at Wiser (Tennessee) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great production staff, Decent benefits

Cons

Terrible Terrible Management, totally out of touch!!!!
    Management walks around like the company is solid and growing, when really things are not going well. Not at all a family oriented place! Not at all financially sound! Massive layoffs are the norm. Terrible planning, very poor management who treats employees very poorly. I would stay far far away from this company!!!!!! All the good people have come and gone...wonder why???

Advice to Management

Manage, empower and care about the employees. Make sound financial decisions! Communicate with the employees. Manage a business

"A foot in the door, but that's it."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Murfreesboro, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Murfreesboro, TN

I worked at Wiser (Tennessee) full-time

Pros

Wiser provides a great start for entry-level employees with Master's degrees, but that's it. The health insurance is pretty decent, but the dental insurance isn't the greatest.

Cons

There are good people left there, but they have all been taken from management roles. The new management cares only about building their own resumes. If you come to Wiser and only care about yourself, you will fit in fine. If you believe in treating others with respect and kindness, you will be pummeled into the ground. There have been two major rounds of layoffs with 33% of the workforce in 2011 and then another 50% in 2013. The pay leaves a lot to be desired and they will spring mandatory overtime on you on a moment's notice. If you have a family or expect to settle down, Wiser is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Micromanaging is not the most effective technique to get maximum performance from your employees.