Wismettac Asian Foods Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "National Sales Manager for Mainstream"

Former Employee - International Sales Management Specialist in Santa Fe Springs, Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Wismettac Asian Foods full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Huge distribution metric in the US and Canada.In business in the US for over 100 years.

Cons

If you are not familiar with Japanese culture it can be challenging.

Advice to Management

Be flexible in your decisions.

"bad management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Fe Springs, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Fe Springs, CA

I worked at Wismettac Asian Foods full-time (More than a year)

Pros

having company lunches during certain holidays was one of the best perks for working at the santa fe springs location.

Cons

management needs to listen to employees. they also need to increase the pay for their employees. they need to try and match the competitive market value for each employee.

Advice to Management

listen to your employees. this will in turn boost morale and make employees want to stay at Wismettac Asian Foods for the long run. also, make sure to have an excellent package for those that put in the effort and stay with the company until they retire. that is dedication that is often overlooked.

"Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Wismettac Asian Foods full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It looks like the company is trying to become more diverse by hiring more non-Japanese employees which I think is great. I met some of the non-Japanese managers from the company’s new XYZ team? and I thought they were doing a fantastic job trying to shape this organization towards the right direction. Company will get better once those guys make it up to top management.

Cons

A lot of the management level employees are still predominantly Japanese straight from Japan and they set a very Japanese centric work life culture for everyone to follow in the US. I witnessed many of my coworkers leave due to having conflicts with their narrow minded Japanese managers with things that are so normal here in the UNITED STATES! It is so discouraging and disappointing to see Japanese sales people being favored by their Japanese superiors automatically. What a divided company…

Advice to Management

need to start promoting non-Japanese employees who are Americanized but understands both cultures to manage the people in this company.

"Japanese Food Company focused on sales"

Former Employee - Office Clerk in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Office Clerk in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Wismettac Asian Foods (More than a year)

Pros

Nishimoto has strong Japanese business ethics and tries to spread this among all its branches. The selection of food it has is pretty wide ranging to be sold to restaurants and grocery stores and employees get a very good discount. They hire many people from Japan so as an American, I had a chance to interact and learn more about Japanese culture.

Cons

There is a pretty hard stance that everything revolves around the sales team, and every other position seems second class. This is obvious in both compensation and benefits. At the time, all IT duties were handled only at the HQ and branches did not even have IT personnel. Seems difficult for office and warehouse workers to move up to higher positions.

Advice to Management

Please put more effort into helping people other than sales move up to higher positions in the company, ESPECIALLY WOMEN. This would help deter people from leaving often to pursue different opportunities. I always liked the products though.

6. "sales associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Carlstadt, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Carlstadt, NJ

I worked at Wismettac Asian Foods full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

visa sponsorship is provided for new graduates

Cons

No career advancement should be considered

7. "Fresh Produce Export Department"

Former Employee - Export Associate in Santa Fe Springs, Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Export Associate in Santa Fe Springs, Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Great benefits, good work culture, supportive and understanding manager (at least mine), amazing cooperative coworkers. Overall, a great place to work.

Cons

Commute was far for me (45 min to 1 hr).

"Sales Rep"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Brisbane, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Brisbane, CA

I worked at Wismettac Asian Foods (More than a year)

Pros

you will learn all the characteristic in taste of sake, rice, seasonings etc.

Cons

Terrible work life balance and bad management

9. "Assistant buyer, HQ"

Former Employee - Assistant Buyer in Santa Fe Springs, Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Buyer in Santa Fe Springs, Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Wismettac Asian Foods full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefit, generous 401k matching, great PTO, great environment to work.

Cons

Pay is low and don't expect for a raise. They changed my position and gave so much tasks than it used to be, but they didn't increase my pay at all.

"Sales representative"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Wismettac Asian Foods full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, Easy job, Over 100 years history, constant growth

Cons

Unorganized management, Often company direction change, Too much over time

Advice to Management

Please take care of your employees. There is a reason why people keep quitting the company

"Sales Associate Review"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Wismettac Asian Foods full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best reason to work here is the food and distribution knowledge you gain about the Japanese food industry. You learn a lot more about how to use the different ingredients. Good first job to train you for a grind. You also meet a lot of great people that you can build camaraderie with.

Cons

Expect to be working long hours (not 8:00 to 17:00) and some weekends with no additional pay or incentive. You always have the short end of the stick. The Board of Directors and C-level officers of the company will demotivate and degrade you in your group meetings. Things they have said include "anyone can do your job", "anyone can sell", "you should appreciate us for providing you with a job". Even though they fly in from the HQ in Japan, don't expect them to translate their lecture so you understand. They will leave it to a coworker to explain what they have said. So sit there for 20 minutes and understand nothing, even though they can speak English.

Also, it is currently still very hard for non-Japanese to move up. Non-Japanese can move up only in accounting and legal. IF your territory has primarily customers of the same ethnicity as you and not Japanese, you have a shot at middle management.

Advice to Management

Quit giving conflicting direction. Come up with better incentives for Sales Associates to work harder. The Japanese model of working people to death doesn't work here. Don't act like we owe you everything.

You got away with abusing your employees because you primarily hired people through work visas. If they quit they also get kicked out of the country. This is modern-day slavery. Now you've stopped hiring people who require work visas to cut costs. You should realize you can abuse U.S. citizens and permanent residents the same way. You can get nailed for not paying overtime to Sales Associates because we don't get any form of commission.

You are only one of the top players in this business because the competitors are also equally bad at its operations. Should one competitor wise up, everyone else will get knocked out rapidly.