Wizards of the Coast Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 4, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Christian Cocks

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life balance is good at this company with a lot of products given for free to all full time employees" (in 28 reviews)

• "Half day Fridays are probably the best thing to say about working here" (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "Some of the middle management is poor and in need of further training or replacement" (in 6 reviews)

• "I've loved Magic since I was a child, and working in R&D was a lifelong dream" (in 6 reviews)

"Great opportunities"

I have been working at Wizards of the Coast full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people. Great potential.

Cons

Sometime management micromanages. Stress can be high at times.

Advice to Management

Let your employees do their jobs. We are all professionals

2. "Fraud Specialist"

Former Employee - Fraud Specialist
    Former Employee - Fraud Specialist

I worked at Wizards of the Coast full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people and atmosphere are amazing! Free product, management is great!

Cons

You have to compete with different departments to have IT work on your departments wants/needs list.

"Reinventing Itself"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Renton, WA

I have been working at Wizards of the Coast full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible, casual work environment
    Smart people who are genuinely sincere and kind
    Employees LOVE the brands they work on

Cons

Office in Renton
    Some employees are averse to change

Advice to Management

Stronger internal communications
    More investment in people manager capability

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - QA Analyst in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - QA Analyst in Renton, WA

I have been working at Wizards of the Coast full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the top people in the industry.
    Great development opportunities.
    Good benefits.
    Flexible work/life balance.

Cons

There are a lot of executives, producers, and managers. Sometimes, it can seem a bit top-heavy.

It sometimes feels like decisions are made without any thought about the people who will implement them.

Advice to Management

Listen to your skilled workers. Take the time to understand what they have problems with and work with them to form a solution.

5. "Most friendly team ever"

Pros

Great friendly people. Wonderful work life balance. Tons of fun activities.

Cons

Nothing. No cafeteria in building. But we had lunches on free table every so often anyway

Advice to Management

Nothing

"Best Job I Have Ever Had"

I have been working at Wizards of the Coast full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Love working for a company where I'm actually engaged with the products and experiences we create.
    1/2 day Fridays, paid time off for all employees between Christmas and New Year's, plus a fairly generous vacation policy
    Encouraged to make a difference, both professionally and culturally within the organization
    Solid company performance = generous bonuses for employees, not just management

Cons

Some areas of the organization are sorely under-staffed and hiring is a very slow process
    Health insurance is adequate but not particularly competitive
    Base salaries are below market value for many positions and perks don't always make up for it
    Promotions and inter-departmental job opportunities are few and far between

Advice to Management

Your workforce is the key to future success - hire the right people then compensate and support them for retention. It's the most worthwhile investment you can make.

"Good and getting better"

I have been working at Wizards of the Coast full-time

Pros

Have been at Wizards for some time and have seen significant improvement in the culture and work environment in the past year. There is clearly a concentrated effort by senior management to improve those areas, while also focusing on the mission and values as well as physical space. Wizards has long been a good place to work, realizing many of the benefits of a stand alone company with the additional benefits of being a part of Hasbro.

Additionally, Wizards has been on an upswing for some time and being a part of an organization that is doing very well makes day to day work that much more enjoyable.

Cons

While Wizards has had a concentrated effort in improving in certain areas in the past year, there are other areas which could still use improvement. While 401k, vacation and employee play product are exceptional, health benefits - a major component of any comp package - are lacking.

The location of the office (Renton) is also a detriment to many, though the reverse commute somewhat makes up for that.

Advice to Management

Continue on the path you are on, the changes are noticeable. Keep the emphasis on improving speed in decision making and keeping bureaucracy to a minimum.

"An excellent place to work. Fun talent need apply."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA

I have been working at Wizards of the Coast full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you like interesting games, and want to make a difference in some of the best games out there, it would be a challenge to find a better place to work. The work life balance is good. The top manage is actually good, and getting better. Most importantly, the digital roadmap should excite anybody who wants to be part of the type of change that only comes about once in a decade for a company this size.

Cons

Some of the middle management is poor and in need of further training or replacement. There remains some dissonance between business vision and execution. The month of Halloween is way too much fun (insert dry humor).

Advice to Management

Look at your senior business managers and directors carefully. Several of them need support or need to be replaced. Support your technical teams with excellent tools and governance.

"Definite Progress!"

Current Employee - Associate Manager in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Associate Manager in Renton, WA

I have been working at Wizards of the Coast full-time

Pros

Work-life balance is incredible. The people here are welcoming and intelligent and creative. I feel that I have plenty of opportunities to advance, and I feel that any ideas I have will be heard. I feel comfortable speaking to bosses all the way up to the CEO, who is friendly and makes an effort to talk to employees. To note: my experience has been in the Marketing department, so I am not sure what other departments experience.

Cons

There have been times especially when I first started that departments were very separate and that made it difficult to get all the information I needed in order to do my job. However, there has been leaps and bounds made in organizational changes and processes that has really begun to alleviate this problem.

Advice to Management

Keep going in the direction you are. The changes that are being made are positive and I appreciate a self-aware company that is willing to change and ask employee's opinions on what kind of environment makes them most successful.

"Lot's green grass here"

Current Employee - Manager in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at Wizards of the Coast full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Vacation, Wizards Week (employee appreciation the week of Halloween), closed the last week of the year, 401k match, bonus, games and gaming focus at work, great people to work with, work/life balance is the best I've seen.

Cons

Career paths are not defined. Some careers appear to dead end so moving job roles may be only option at advancement. Annual reviews can be unfair due to grading on a curve (e.g. if somebody gets a high score then someone needs to get a low score). These things are fixable.

Advice to Management

Fix the career paths. Match job functions and responsibilities to industry accepted titles instead of bucketing into generic roles. Outside recruiters see through that and your internal employees lose out on their sense of pride. Encourage innovation company wide. Hold a competition for innovative ideas from any department.