Wizards of the Coast "full time employees" Reviews | Glassdoor

Wizards of the Coast Employee Reviews about "full time employees"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great value in their employees who love the games"

Former Employee - WPN Lead in Renton, WA
    Former Employee - WPN Lead in Renton, WA

I worked at Wizards of the Coast full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Full-time employees get good health coverage.

Cons

High turn over, every year.

Advice to Management

Put more effort in helping their employee grow professionally.

"It All Depends on the Group You're In"

Former Contractor - Content Specialist (Copy Editor) in Renton, WA
    Former Contractor - Content Specialist (Copy Editor) in Renton, WA

I worked at Wizards of the Coast as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

As others have pointed out, the experience of working at WotC depends greatly on not just the brand you're working on, but on the group and even team you end up in. I was exceedingly fortunate to have been on a team that made my time an absolute pleasure. The people whom I reported to were unfailingly conscientious and genuinely caring, working to make sure I played as much as I worked, even on the clock! I've never worked any other job where my manager gave me a stern talking-to when I wasn't taking enough time to play MTG at the office. I'm NOT kidding.

All the people up the chain from my team were exceedingly approachable and genuinely cared what I had to say. Not often the case in my very long experience as a consultant and contractor.

While contract employees don't get all the freebies that full-time employees enjoy, there are still a lot of things, like free t-shirts and MTG cards. The group I was in held a semi-weekly Booster Draft, usually with the latest set, and you keep the cards you pick. While you're required to wait six months after leaving before you can sell cards, that can still add up to a significant bonus.

I've never before worked in an environment that blended such passion for the product with such a sense of joy. There were very, very few days I worked there when I didn't smile for the majority of my time and laugh at least one full-belly laugh.

Cons

I've heard horror stories from some others about the teams/groups they had to work in. Some of those ventured into Dilbert-esque in the worst possible sense.

Advice to Management

Work on identifying those groups that throw off the overall curve, the ones with toxic bosses, processes drowning in double-talk, etc. And once identified, work on fixing them. I'd like to think that's an existing and ongoing effort. I know that it's very like fighting a hydra, cut off one head and two more grow in its place, but please keep at it.

3. "Wishing and hoping and working and praying"

Current Contractor - Digital Visual Designer
    Current Contractor - Digital Visual Designer

I have been working at Wizards of the Coast as a contractor

Pros

Best work/life balance I've experienced.
    1. Egos are generally left at the door, which can't be said for other gaming companies.
    2. Manager is excellent and attentive to the needs of the team.
    3. Wizards overall treats both Full Time Employees and contractors well with great community activities.

Cons

1. The perception is that no matter how hard a contractor works, there is no chance to be a full time employee. The chance of advancing is next to none.

Advice to Management

If you want to keep the best, hire the best. Contractors often work very hard, hoping and praying to receive the "Golden Ticket" without little hope of advancement or any reason why they can't. It creates an elitist mentality that drives morale down. We can only be appeased with cards for a little while before the desire to grow becomes far too great to ignore.

"Incredibly Supportive Company"

I have been working at Wizards of the Coast full-time

Pros

I started as a contractor. After putting in a few months of work I was converted to full-time and couldn't be happier. I've been presented with so many incredible opportunities for growth, and have found that the hard work I put into my job is absolutely rewarded. Wizards is the kind of place that likes to keep its employees around, and the job security is unlike anywhere else in the industry. My coworkers are insanely smart, fun, friendly, and supportive of my endeavors and ideas. Compensation, at least in my department, is -excellent-. I feel very well-taken-care-of.

Cons

Sometimes my job requires I work weekends, but the ample vacation time balances that out. Cooperation with other departments sometimes can be tricky.

Advice to Management

A lot of change has been made in the past year -- keep focusing efforts on improving the problems that are there and rewarding success when you see it. Other than that, keep up the good work! This is far and away the best employer I've ever had.