Wizards of the Coast "senior management" Reviews | Glassdoor

Wizards of the Coast Employee Reviews about "senior management"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Fringe benefits, dead-end jobs"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA

I worked at Wizards of the Coast full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Half-day Fridays, unlimited sick days, lots of free products. Can work with great people. Was a fun environment at one time.

Cons

No career path at Wizards. Virtually no opportunities for promotion or growth. Management rarely leaves unless laid off and vacancies are typically filled from outside.
    Lots of people who have been doing the same thing forever, so, with nowhere else to go, territory is fiercely guarded.
    Compensation definitely below market.
    Unless you are a VP or have high-level support, trying something new will get you stomped.

Advice to Management

Honestly encourage attempts to innovate. It's a small organization, so I have no suggestions on how to fix the career path issue. If I did, I'd still be there.

"Great opportunities"

I have been working at Wizards of the Coast full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people. Great potential.

Cons

Sometime management micromanages. Stress can be high at times.

Advice to Management

Let your employees do their jobs. We are all professionals

"Strong people; work in progress to evolve and overcome some negative inherited culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA

I worked at Wizards of the Coast full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the most talented, creative, and passionate people I've ever had the pleasure to work with. Exciting new projects in the works. A growing awareness of weaknesses and efforts made to improve. Increased efforts and awareness in inclusivity and career development. Active steps are being taken to create more mentorship and opportunities to seek growth. You also get to work on some really, genuinely fun and innovative games and products. Free product, free sodas, decent if small gym, subsidized fitness coaching to work off said sodas. Half day Friday's for non-R&D teams. Strong work-life balance, good vacation package. If under good managers, you have the opportunity to contribute to arenas that aren't your specialty. There's real chances to make visible impacts on our games and products, and have your voice matter.

Cons

Some inherited inefficiencies or lack of process hampers the ability to get work done. Overdone and archaic processes at other points grind innovation to a halt. There's a need to build better systems to support the workflows. This is true across a number of disciplines at the company.

A feeling of reactionary decision making and last minute changes have permeated since new leadership. It's a fine line between flexible and nimble responses, and flailing knee-jerk 180's, and it feels like recent months have been the latter.

Opaque communication and lack of transparency at times results in lack of confidence across teams and efforts.

There are a few folks in leadership roles that perhaps shouldn't be, and it stifles the ability for teams to achieve at maximum potential. Aggressive masculine styles of communication and claiming credit for work by teams still seems to generally rule the day (and the meetings), especially at mid-tier management. This is despite some outstanding women who have risen in leadership. They seem to be the exception, not the rule.

Meeting-intensive culture.

Benefits package could use improvement; just not competitive with other companies in the area.

A shortage of headcount creates high pressure scenarios across teams, and overburdens top performers with increasing risks of burnout.

Contractors get the short end of the stick, and transparency of possibility of conversion to full-time or extension of contract is oftentimes lacking. This is occluded by the fact many departments genuinely strive to provide conversion, and fall through late in the process, but this doesn't lessen the impact on the contractors left in limbo or notified with short or no time to seek next steps and opportunities.

There is a serious challenge of not being competitive in the compensation offered when compared to many (admittedly bigger) companies in the area.

There is a real wall in terms of advancement and ways to grow a career. Poor or short-sighted directors or managers stifle employee opportunities instead of encourage. Great ones promote the mobility that helps make the company great and nimble. Great managers also help an employee find their best fit, but the weak links actively push talent away from the company.

Advice to Management

Continue to clarify communications and decision making so directions the company takes don't feel so reactionary and knee-jerk. Be more proactive to get ahead of your messaging; overshare on thought processes where possible, to help build confidence and understanding of decisions made.

Trust your Subject Matter Experts! We say it, but sometimes we don't do it. This is true on projects, but also in management; as a manager or director, trust your team lead when they share their report's desires and concerns.

Allow your reports the opportunity to grow beyond their role. Don't state it superficially, then not follow through when opportunities (and needs) arise.

Embrace and empower the passion for the games and products your employees bring, but don't take advantage of it.

Recognize your weaknesses and blind spots and hire to help you shore up and spot them. Our employees shouldn't all be life-long fans of our games. We need more diverse perspectives to see where we can grow.

I realize this review may read negative, but many of these things are in progress or have been identified company-wide. Wizards is a great place to work for many reasons, and it is working hard on its weaknesses. In my tenure there it has already improved in many ways, and there are innumerable folks there that I cannot wait to work with again.

4. "Fraud Specialist"

Former Employee - Fraud Specialist
    Former Employee - Fraud Specialist

I worked at Wizards of the Coast full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people and atmosphere are amazing! Free product, management is great!

Cons

You have to compete with different departments to have IT work on your departments wants/needs list.

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - QA Analyst in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - QA Analyst in Renton, WA

I have been working at Wizards of the Coast full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the top people in the industry.
    Great development opportunities.
    Good benefits.
    Flexible work/life balance.

Cons

There are a lot of executives, producers, and managers. Sometimes, it can seem a bit top-heavy.

It sometimes feels like decisions are made without any thought about the people who will implement them.

Advice to Management

Listen to your skilled workers. Take the time to understand what they have problems with and work with them to form a solution.

"Reinventing Itself"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Renton, WA

I have been working at Wizards of the Coast full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible, casual work environment
    Smart people who are genuinely sincere and kind
    Employees LOVE the brands they work on

Cons

Office in Renton
    Some employees are averse to change

Advice to Management

Stronger internal communications
    More investment in people manager capability

"Digital Games Division"

I have been working at Wizards of the Coast full-time

Pros

The DGD is shaping out to be an incredible team filled with friendly, driven, and passionate developers, designers, and creators. I've worked at Wizards for 2+ years, both before the DGD and as a member of the DGD, and I see a lot of potential in this new org. The culture of one of collaboration, and of expectations of excellence. There are still some kinks to work out, but most of my daily experiences are working on a product I believe in, with people that want to help it be the best it can be, and know what it will take

Cons

Wizards as a company, despite its age, is immature in a lot of areas. Areas like career progression guidelines, adoption of tools, interviewing, and recruiting are very underdeveloped, especially for a company its size. Things seem to be getting better organizationally, but there is still a lot of changes that need to happen.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at what teams/processes actually work, and make the tough decisions about underperformance

"Awesome culture being eroded by new management; very sad"

I have been working at Wizards of the Coast full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

First five years, I loved this company. Best job that I have ever had.
    Employees at bottom of company are awesome. They are the best combination of nice people, strong skill set and true dedication to the product that I have ever seen in a company.
    Generous vacation policy.
    Half-day Fridays (but many managers are trying to change this)
    Pay becoming more competitive.
    Execs becoming more open to new ideas from below (Hack-a-Thon and Product pitches to Executives are great ideas)

Cons

One year ago, I would have given Wizards 5 stars. I truly loved this company. None of below were true a few years ago.
    New managers and executives in Digital Gaming bring a very negative culture from Turbine. Turbine, frankly has not performed financially very well lately, so why turn everything over to a team with a losing track-record? They believe Wizards employees are "dead wood" and should not be consulted in Performance Reviews. They sacrifice skilled employees for short-term objective of completing the next big project (you know which one I mean). This works in short-term, but it catches up with company quickly.
    Particularly after recent layoffs, there has been a climate of fear. Managers seem to spend most of their time trying to shift blame onto other managers and their reports.
    Most Managers and Directors have little technical competence, but they have a veto power over key project decisions.
    Constantly changing priorities in the middle of projects coming from management.

Advice to Management

Seriously down-size the bureaucracy by laying off 80% of Managers and Directors. Assign the 20% who are technically competent to Mentoring roles or to teams confronting toughest challenges
    Let CEO and VPs determine broad annual goals.
    Build around small, autonomous, cross-functional teams to run projects with minimal dependencies from management or other teams. Have teams build rapid prototypes early to validate ideas coming from VPs and be ready to fail most of them quickly.
    Maintain same teams beyond individual projects, to promote team cohesiveness.
    Continuous Delivery so we can deliver updates quickly
    Fully embrace Agile
    Replace manager Performance Reviews with team reviews. Most managers are clueless as to what their reports actually do because they are not on teams. If team is held accountable for results, team members will smoke out any poor performers

"Meh"

Former Employee - Online Community Representative
    Former Employee - Online Community Representative

I worked at Wizards of the Coast full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Team of people, lower management was great, freedom to work remotely.

Cons

Crap pay, but upper was inaccessible and played favoritism.

"Coming so close..."

I have been working at Wizards of the Coast full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The diversity and the people are great, as are the products and their customers. They have a great print product and an improving digital one. Lot's of possibilities for their loyal customers. Great daily work environment.

Cons

Pay isn't always in line with market rates. Planning doesn't happen. Decisions are made too quickly if at all. If you are someone who understands basic business requirements and has any financial acumen, it is quickly apparent that they don't.

Advice to Management

Show up. New CEO has been non-existent. Relying on the same leadership cadre that created so many problems with budgeting, measurements, programs, lack of process, etc. to fix the problems is an exercise in futility. Learn to create and read a chart: data abounds and yet nobody with the ability to make decisions based on it seems to realize it, tap into it, or have the ability or knowledge to use it to that end. You have people in place that actually know what they are doing, try listening to them.