Wolfgang Puck Reviews | Glassdoor

Wolfgang Puck

1. "chef"

Former Employee - Chef in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Chef in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Wolfgang Puck full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots and Lots of eye candy.

Cons

annoying customers, understaffed, noisy kitchen

Advice to Management

relax

2. "Cater Waiter"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Wolfgang Puck part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I enjoy my co-workers. Good food.

Cons

Management steals tips......we don't get ANY!

Advice to Management

Respect your employees and SHARE tips!

3. "The company as a whole is a headache"

Former Employee - Server in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Server in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Wolfgang Puck part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wolfgang puck himself is an incredible person and people really love seeing what he has to offer, the design of the restaurant is nice

Cons

Constant change with food drinks management policy rules etc. seems like the corp management has no clue what they are doing

Advice to Management

Figure out what they want and stick with it

"Great intentions - horrible execution"

Former Employee - Executive Chef in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Executive Chef in Seattle, WA

I worked at Wolfgang Puck full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

WP is a leader in the culinary industry - the name is known around the world and that takes everything up a notch. The expectations are high and when you can deliver, the rewards are great.

Cons

The senior management has no connection to the employees working in the field. Those high expectations I talked about in the Pros? Well, they are nearly impossible to achieve when you can't get the financial, physical or emotional support of your superiors. They have a great set-up in LA, but all of the satellite operations struggle to make numbers at the end of the week and put out a product they can be proud to serve. There is ZERO work/life balance (a 90-hour work week is the norm without so much as a "Thank you" from your jet-setting boss.

Advice to Management

Ask your employees what they need, support them when they have to make difficult decisions, and pay your chefs what they deserve. When you devote your life to this field, it would make it a lot easier to show your passion if you weren't worried about when you are getting your next tiny paycheck.

6. "Decent, good paying job"

Current Employee - Server in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Server in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Wolfgang Puck part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The money is really good and the clientele generally tip well.

Cons

The management plays a lot of favorites and acts immature at times although there are a couple of good ones.

Advice to Management

Don't play favorites, treat everyone the same and

"a rollercoaster of emotions"

Current Employee - Cook in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Cook in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Wolfgang Puck full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

for us, it the hospitals benefits and hours of operation. once the rush is over, it makes for a relaxing evening till closing

Cons

management play favorites causing a unfair work environment. the line is designed for failure. they made the line not wide enough causing us to repeatedly bump into each other. supplies are not easily reachable

Advice to Management

teach the managers how to talk to employees without talking down to them

"EeEspnESales"

Former Employee - Busser, Server in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Busser, Server in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Wolfgang Puck part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

At ESPN Zone:
    Some Decent Employees. Good company benefits. Wolfgang Puck is a Brand and a good one. Culturally Neutral. Get to work near the Staples Center. Close to Blue Line Train Station. Chef Provides informal Catering 70-80% of the time to all of the staff, so you can save on your personal food bill somewhat. If not that then you get an employee discount at the very least. Very Busy Store when there are scheduled events which is most of the year. Bussers, Bar Backs, Servers, and Bartenders (in that order) do very well with tips. if you need time off you can easily trade shifts with another employee or post the request on their employee web site. Did I say FREE VIDEO ARCADE for employees? Most of the management staff is really cool, but some are REALLY cool. i see plenty of room for advancement as almost all of their managers are promoted from within. Looks great on a resume and you can switch positions and locations if need be.

Servers tips avg between $60-100, to $220 max.
    Bussers tips avg between $10-30, to $90 max.

Bartenders and barbacks sometimes a little more.

Cons

a large disparity between what severs and bussers will make in tips. both have a base wage of minimum wage but it is the unwritten policy that servers will tip out their bussers only 2% of the gross. tips given to Bussers and bar-backs are left at the discretion of their respective servers as you have to depend on the honor system to get your fair share of the tips. i was told that the server is supposed to show you the final ring receipt at the end of the night, and normally i wouldnt even ask. but i was regularly getting the feeling of being stiffed by a certain server when we would have an exceptionally busy weekend night and i would only make $12-14. ive been a server for a while and it was impossible that her ring was less than $1000. when i asked to simply see her ring receipt she refused and it turned into a big deal. even management was angry about it. tipping guidelines are 15% minimum for servers right? well we all know that many tip much more than that sometimes up to 30%. but your server will make sure that he/she will not go over the 2% that they give you .server might leave with $200 and you could leave with $20. just saying.

if you are a busser you WILL sweat. you will almost run almost all night carrying a tub that is FULL.....for $20

If there are no events at the Staples Center there is no work. sometimes in the summer it will be dry for weeks.

"Lack of management, organization and opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Wolfgang Puck part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They are contracted by some of the biggest venues in Los Angeles.

Cons

I've worked for them for over 4 years and NEVER been given a raise or any sort of recognition for the years I've been there.
    The people who have been in management positions at my venue seem to have gotten there by luck, not skills or abilites. We had nearly zero management for years and the company didn't seem concerned.

10. "A working model of the seven deadly sins of highly miserable people"

Former Employee - Director of Operations in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Director of Operations in Beverly Hills, CA

Pros

Fair pay and the checks don't bounce

Cons

Zero leadership skills at the top

Advice to Management

Hire an experienced food and beverage operator to run your company and send the accountant back to accounting.

11. "Prep Cok"

Pros

It was good hard kitchen work! Always something new to learn, as the Chefs are extremely knowledgable. Very clean environment.

Cons

Can be stressful to some, as a lot of work is under pressure; not a place for lazy folks or slow pokes. At times people would not show up to there shift, putting a lot of pressure on the rest of the staff. If they were very skilled, they wouldn't be in much trouble.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. I guess maybe they could write more people up. Consequences for workers not showing up to there shift without a good reason.