Wolfram Research Reviews | Glassdoor

Wolfram Research President Stephen Wolfram
Stephen Wolfram

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Low salary compare to industry standard, no long term business goal" (in 15 reviews)

• "If you are in upper management or project management, you will have to meet with him multiple times per week" (in 9 reviews)

"I Love My Job"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Champaign, IL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Champaign, IL

I have been working at Wolfram Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Amazing culture
    - Awesome Perks (drinks, swag!)
    - You have the opportunity to work on arguably the most intuitive and advanced software on the market today.
    - The company feels like a family. It's our own little slice of Silicon Valley in the Heartland.
    - The projects we work on are incredibly fulfilling. Even early in my career, I never expected to have the impact on the products this business produces at this point.
    - Incredibly flexible work environment and telecommuting
    - Great PTO and Benefits Program

Cons

- Comp is lower than national average for the role.
    - Very busy -- can be stressful

Advice to Management

Wolfram has a lot of great things going on. While SW can be overbearing at times, people have to also understand that he does it because he is passionate about Wolfram and the products we produce. His name is all over it and it all bears his reputation.

Also, we need to focus more of our efforts on PR and Marketing activities. We need to get our products out to larger demographics to continue to drive growth and opportunity into the business. Our efforts need re-focused on projects that deliver revenue instead of the one-offs; simply put, hire a top notch Software Ops leader and let them drive the business.

2. "Similar to staying in school"

I worked at Wolfram Research full-time

Pros

Academic atmosphere with ability to move career in several directions

Cons

Elon Musk-like CEO. Very smart, very demanding.

3. "avoid"

I worked at Wolfram Research full-time

Pros

there are some nice people there.

Cons

the ceo micromanages and screams at people.

Advice to Management

quit

4. "Organized with great communication"

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Intern in Champaign, IL
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Intern in Champaign, IL

I worked at Wolfram Research part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Expectations and responsibilities were set very clearly.

Meaningful and impactful work as an intern.

Great learning experience.

Integrated with the full time team.

Cons

Slow to release and often extended deadlines.

Interns are paid by the hour with a low wage.

"Great company, run by an impossible man"

I worked at Wolfram Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Interesting projects at the forefront of computer science
    * Decent benefits
    * Flexible work hours
    * Ability to work remote
    * (Mostly) fantastic people

If you can avoid Stephen, then it's a fantastic place to work. There are many people who keep this company going and make most days a joy to be part of.

Cons

* Old and inadequate hardware to work on
    * An interferring CEO who thinks he knows everything and any project can completed by one engineer in 2 weeks, maybe 3 if it's really complicated
    * Low pay compared to comparable positions at other tech companies (including locally)

If you do have to work with Stephen Wolfram, may god help you. 30 years ago, he was a genius with ideas ahead of his time and he managed to productize them. Today, he is still a genius with ideas that would have been ahead of their time 20 years ago. He is failing to lead this company to the future, and his main method of leading is screaming like a toddler who is told they can't go to the beach during a hurricane.

If you are in upper management or project management, you will have to meet with him multiple times per week. In these meetings he will ask for updates on features and products he invented a week ago and be angry they are not ready to be pushed to production yet. After he finishes loudly complaining about how slow and bad everyone is, then he'll go on to request entirely new things that he expects to get immediately. Priorities are never clear, and when you try to get him to guide you, he he has no idea what he actually wants other than "everything".

His irrationality and personal attacks drive people to tears.

Advice to Management

The advice no one will follow: Reign in Stephen

Otherwise, hire managers for management positions. We have too many very skilled engineers, who have to spend their time managing people instead of developing, it's a waste of their talents.

6. "interesting but not the top of the heap"

I have been working at Wolfram Research full-time

Pros

the people are great and the problems you do get to work on are interesting

Cons

you will not be getting projects where you change the world, those to go to the big guys

"Have an exit plan"

I have been working at Wolfram Research full-time

Pros

Depending on the exact job and manager, hours can be quite flexible. Working remotely is common. Good as an experience/resume builder.

Cons

Micromanagement can be an issue, and the CEO is notoriously difficult. Unfortunately, working on high profile projects or moving into management pretty much guarantees direct interaction with the CEO. Have an exit plan and execute it after a few years.

Advice to Management

The same issues have existed (and been mentioned in reviews) for years. Do something about it!

"Okay if you have to be in the Champaign area, and quite a bit of flexibility, but poor promotion and salary"

I have been working at Wolfram Research full-time

Pros

Company gives a lot of flexibility in work hours. About half of my coworkers are really nice.

Cons

The other half of my coworkers. Management is terrible; they keep doing things a certain way because that's how they have always done them. You can be with the company for over ten years and do well and still not get a promotion. Also, the salary is extremely low, even after considering low cost-of-living in Champaign.

"Don't waste your time with this company."

I worked at Wolfram Research full-time

Pros

None. None. None. I wish I can rate this company with 0 stars.

Cons

1. Extremely low salary. About 3-4 times lower than big tech like Google, Facebook, Amazon, Microsoft, etc. Are you seriously trying to humiliate me? I am going to work at big tech very soon.
    2. Recruiters are basically political liars. They send you 5 emails each day try to get you in, then after lured you in, they will treat you really really rude.
    3. Some employee is extremely not smart. You will need to explain her 3 times of tech specs and what you need, and she will still screw you up. Impossible to coordinate to work.
    4. Some employee in higher position took advantage of young girls. This is really disgusting, and break my many years' respect of this company.

I believe a programmer's salary is determined by how good he/she is. With this pay, it's very obvious software developers are the lowest 20 percentile. This is a hopeless company. And I uninstalled Mathematica, Wolfram Desktop, Wolfram Script, this is an experience I am ashamed of myself. I am ashamed that I was stupid and believed in you. And I regret all these years my valuable time wasted in this.

"Not terrible for entry level. Experience will vary greatly depending on our team. Cult like company culture"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Champaign, IL
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Champaign, IL

I worked at Wolfram Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some great people in lower level management

Cons

Upper management acquiesces to CEOs insane desires. No one willing to stand up to his stupid desires

Advice to Management

Stop letting Stephen mettle in things at low level. Insulate developers better from upper management